[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet line extenders experiences?

hd@philtis.UUCP (Henk D. Davids @ PMSN) (01/13/89)

For some time now there are several companies that offer
so-called Ethernet Line Extenders: a pair of boxes that
extend the length of a transceiver cable from the standard
15 meters to up to 250 meters; the boxes communicate with
each other over 4-wire cable.

I was just wondering: does anyone have experiences with these
devices? Is there anything to be said against them, like a
possible violation of some standard? Any information will
be appreciated, be it positive or negative ...

Henk
--
Henk D. Davids  @  PHILIPS Medical Systems Nederland BV, Dept. SWE-CF
Building QA-II     PO Box 10000    NL-5860 DA  Best   The Netherlands

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (01/15/89)

The problem with Ethernet line extenders is that you have to be careful
of your delay budget.  That is, in an Ethernet configured according
to the letter of the spec, each component -- coax, repeaters, drop cables,
etc. -- has been assigned a delay time.  The sum of the maximum possible
end-to-end delays must be less than a certain amount, to wit the round trip
time for a minimum length packet.  If you increase the length of a drop
cable, you must decrease the maximum coax length that you use.  You must
also allow for propagation delay through the extenders.

Let me give some numbers.  The signal speed in thick (or for that matter, thin)
coax is given in the spec as .6667 c, whereas the signal speed in the
transceiver cable is .5 c.  Thus, an increase in drop cable length from
50 to 250 meters must be compensated for by a decrease in the maximum
diameter of the net by 267 meters, thus *decreasing* the maximum extent.
If you're careful, and if you know what you're doing -- for example,
only putting long drop cables in the middle of the net, or restricting
other components -- you can get away with it.  The vendor may be able to
help you as well.

Bottom line -- you can sometimes use such boxes.

norm@cfctech.UUCP (Norm Meluch) (01/17/89)

In article <582@philtis.UUCP> hd@philtis.UUCP (Henk D. Davids @ PMSN) writes:
>For some time now there are several companies that offer
>so-called Ethernet Line Extenders: a pair of boxes that
>extend the length of a transceiver cable from the standard
>15 meters to up to 250 meters; the boxes communicate with
>each other over 4-wire cable.
>
>I was just wondering: does anyone have experiences with these
>devices?
>Henk

	Our new STARLAN 10 here runs on 10 Mbit ethernet hardware and
most of the cards for the machines (3B2/600, PS/2 Microchannel) need
this "thing" called an AUI adapter.  It seems to have the properties
described above.  It takes the 15 pin AUI output of an ethernet card
and "translates" it into the 8 wire twisted pair for the STARLAN hub,
building and PC card wiring.  The 15 pin tranceiver cable goes about
15 meters and the AUI adapter will allow a twisted pair wire to go about
100 meters beyond that.  The AUI is about $200 a crack.  However no
problems with them so far.

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Norman J. Meluch ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
| Mail:uunet!umix!cfctech!norm                         Voice: (313) 244-1809   |
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
| Note: The opinions expressed here are in no way to be confused with valid    |
|_______ideas or corporate policy._____________________________________________|

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (01/17/89)

In article <2214@cfctech.UUCP>, norm@cfctech.UUCP (Norm Meluch) writes:
}
} 	Our new STARLAN 10 here runs on 10 Mbit ethernet hardware and
} most of the cards for the machines (3B2/600, PS/2 Microchannel) need
} this "thing" called an AUI adapter.  It seems to have the properties
} described above.  It takes the 15 pin AUI output of an ethernet card
} and "translates" it into the 8 wire twisted pair for the STARLAN hub,
} building and PC card wiring.

In essence, the AUI is a transceiver; it just goes to STARLAN 10 wire
instead of coax.  It does nothing to extend the distance between a
host and the coax, though the flexibility of star-wiring may make it
seem that way.  STARLAN 10 has its own set of wiring guidelines and
restrictions; these are derived from the same basic principles and
constraints as conventional coax wiring plans.