[comp.dcom.lans] broadband token bus

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (02/05/89)

In article <27676@bu-cs.BU.EDU> kwe@buit13.bu.edu (Kent England) writes:

>	You might want to be careful about committing to the broadband
>token bus standard [802.4].  It may not go anywhere in terms of
>installed base.

	if broadband .4 provides the price & performance you need (extending
	ethernet subnets over many miles at nearly full speed), the
	installed base of other .4 products won't make much difference!

>	Ungermann-Bass has dropped support for the broadband token bus
>medium.  They say it is due to lack of market interest.  They will be
>supporting MAP on Ethernet and, I suppose, other IEEE media standards.

	good luck to them.  .4 to .3 bridges can enable .4 traffic
	to traverse ethernets and interoperate with .3 nodes, as well.

>	U-B pioneered MAP support through INI, a joint venture with GE
>that GE bailed out of a while back.  U-B knows the MAP market through
>INI, so I would take their "advice" seriously and I question whether
>broadband token bus will ever reach a critical mass of support.

	their "advice" might be due to internal factors which are
	not public knowledge!

>	Anyway, broadband MAP is looking rather deadend-like.  But
>perhaps broadband token bus has uses outside of MAP.

	it surely does have uses outside of MAP...

>interested to know what other users think and what other vendors
>already support 802.4.  Doesn't someone make a .3-.4 bridge already?

	there are a bunch of .3 to .4 bridges available.  the company
	i work for (Chipcom) happens to make one of them!  .4 provides
	a great medium for extending ethernets to very long distances
	without paying leased-line costs, and without sacrificing
	performance (depending on whose bridge one uses)...  i'm sure
	you can all guess which bridge i would recommend..  the Chipcom
	bridge has performance far greater than any other .3-.4 bridge,
	though we are not yet shipping one with inband network management.

--
   Steve Elias (eli@spdcc.com) ((617 239 9406)) (((617 890 6844))) ()