[comp.dcom.lans] Looking for Ethernet Performance Monitoring Software on a PC

donnelly@mergvax (Mark Donnelly) (02/02/89)

Hello,

Looking for recommendations concerning Ethernet monitoring software.

	The need:	Overall Statistics
			- % utilization
			- # of collisions

			Individual Node Statistics
			- # of packets generated
			- # of errors
			- # of retransmissions

	Basicly I am looking for something to give a good picture of the
	net at a particular time and a given time interval. There are
	most likely other statistics I should be looking at, and if you
	could point me in the right direction I would appreicate it.

To save some dollars on hardware I need it to run on a PC-AT or similar
machine with a vanilla ethernet card. Any comments or directions even
constructive flames would be appreicated.

Thanks,

Mark
uunet!philabs!mergvax!donnelly

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (02/09/89)

In article <3649@mergvax>, donnelly@mergvax (Mark Donnelly) writes:
> Looking for recommendations concerning Ethernet monitoring software.
> 	The need:	Overall Statistics
> 			- % utilization
> 			- # of collisions
>
> 			Individual Node Statistics
> 			- # of packets generated
> 			- # of errors
> 			- # of retransmissions
> 	Basicly I am looking for something to give a good picture of the
> 	net at a particular time and a given time interval....

What you are talking about is quite a lot of work for an AT and a standard
PC Ethernet interface.  For one thing, none of the standard interfaces I've
worked with can handle packets as close together as some Unix boxes send them
so you won't get them *all*.  For another, the only way you can get some of
the numbers you want is by asking all the hosts.

There are two classes of network monitoring/management software that run
on ATs with standard network interfaces:

1. Promiscuous-mode monitors that display all packets on the net (some
will save to disk, or only accept packets that match some filter you
specify interactively).  These include our "LANWatch" (commercial),
"Netwatch" from the MIT/CMU/Harvard PC-IP public-domain package, and a
Wollongong product I've not seen literature for (I'm told it is based
on Netwatch).

2. Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) network management station
software, which can query gateways (some) and hosts (very few, as of yet)
that contain SNMP "agents" for statistics and configuration, and change
some values remotely.  The only thing I know of actually on the market
is Proteon's "Overview", but the MIT and CMU public-domain libraries
announced a few weeks ago may contain some useful applications, if you
have a TCP/IP "sockets" development environment on your PC.

The monitors are better at diagnosing networks that don't work at all
(although some hardware-based monitors will do even better, because
they can see more cable problems), and SNMP can collect more statistics
as long as the network is at least partly functional.  The monitors need
to be attached to the network being diagnosed, the SNMP management can
be done from elsewhere (e.g. via IP routers and different media).  The
monitors can detect more kinds of problems, and works with protocols other
than TCP/IP, but you need to understand the protocols in use.  SNMP presents
you with much simpler counts and variables you can examine or set, but you
may need the remote system's source code to understand *exactly* what they
are counting, or controlling, and they are only TCP/IP-related.

--
James B. VanBokkelen		We're moving.  After 2/26, the new number
FTP Software Inc.		will be (617) 246-0900.