[comp.dcom.lans] Some nodes can't reach others - is this a LanBridge problem?

u3ky@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (02/03/89)

Our building ethernet is connected to a backbone ethernet via a DEC
LanBridge.  We have lately been experiencing a growing number of cases
where a machine on our side of the bridge cannot telnet to some machines
on the other side - the connection times out.  I have yet to find a
pattern to these failures.  Could this be some sort of LanBridge
misbehavior?

Steven Gaarder
sparks@oak.cadif.cornell.edu

karn@jupiter..bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (02/03/89)

Assuming that the hosts, interfaces, software and cables are all in good
shape, yes, it's possible for the LAN Bridge to be at fault.

In particular, the existing Lan Bridge firmware has a nasty bug that can
cause it to "learn" the broadcast address if someone erroneously uses it
in the source field of a packet. (I've seen this happen on a PC when
an improperly seated board worked well enough to generate packets, but
the address PROM read out as all 1's).

When a bridge learns the broadcast address, it will refuse to pass
broadcasts. This breaks ARP.  We had this problem occasionally on our
(rather large) bridged network until DEC finally sent us a new batch of ROMs
that fixed the problem.

By the way, my "locate" program began life one day when I was desperately
trying to locate the $#@!! station using the broadcast address as its source
address...

Phil

eric@pprg.unm.edu (Eric Engquist [CoE]) (02/04/89)

Yes we at UNM fought the problem for a year prior to narrowing down the
problem.  We noticed that IBM RT running AOS 4.3 caused the "death packet"
at boot time.  IBM now has a workaround to fix the problem.

Another fix is to back the rev level of the lanbridge to rev "D".

							-Eric

frank@ut-emx.UUCP (Frank Abernathy) (02/06/89)

In article <13818@bellcore.bellcore.com>, karn@jupiter..bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) writes:

Some stuff deleted.
> In particular, the existing Lan Bridge firmware has a nasty bug that can
> cause it to "learn" the broadcast address if someone erroneously uses it
> in the source field of a packet. (I've seen this happen on a PC when
> an improperly seated board worked well enough to generate packets, but
> the address PROM read out as all 1's).

The ROMs at location E131 and E132 should be part numbers 332E5 and
333E5.  Those sets seem to fix the 'Learn Broadcast Address' problem.
Does not appear to cause other problems, yet... |^)
Talk to your local DEC Field Service folks.  There is not an offical
FCO yet, as far as I know..

davew@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM (David C. White) (02/10/89)

In article <13818@bellcore.bellcore.com> karn@thumper.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) writes:

>When a bridge learns the broadcast address, it will refuse to pass
>broadcasts. This breaks ARP.  We had this problem occasionally on our
>(rather large) bridged network until DEC finally sent us a new batch of ROMs
>that fixed the problem.

Right.  We had the same problem.  Lean on your DEC service people to
replace the ROMs with the new version and the problem will go away.
This was hashed over fairly thoroughly a while back in this group and
at that time the ROMs were not released but you could get them if you
applied some real pressure.  They should be readily available now.

If you want to really hose the bridges, ping to your broadcast
address.  If you don't have the new ROMS this will lock out systems on
the other side of the bridge from reaching you.  The only way to
fix the problem is to initialize the bridge if you have access to
RBMS or power cycle the bridge.
--
Dave White	Grass Valley Group, Inc.   PHONE: +1 916.478.3052
P.O. Box 1114  	Grass Valley, CA  95945    davew@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com