[comp.dcom.lans] Lattisnet/Ethernet over Twisted Pair

benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) (02/12/89)

Does anyone have any experiences with running Ethernet over unshielded
twisted pair ?  I know that Lattisnet has such a product, and I was wondering
what people's impressions were.

Thanks!!

Dan

benderly@cs.columbia.edu

wvanbeek@tippy.uucp (02/13/89)

We have a large Appletalk network use Farralon Star Controllers and
Kinetic Fast Path's.  Our investigation of the ethernet backbone has
led to the decision that Plexcom makes the hardware for use in putting
together the unshielded twisted pair ethernet.  We are currently at
the AUI spec (oh how I wish that was different).  If you want additional
information, please e-mail me.

...bill

Bill Van Beek           BITNET   WVANBEEK@PURCCVM
                      INTERNET   wvanbeek@vm.cc.purdue.edu
                                 tippy!wvanbeek@newton.physics.purdue.edu

digennar@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Mr. Jerry DiGennaro) (02/14/89)

In article <98@cs.columbia.edu> benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) writes:
>Does anyone have any experiences with running Ethernet over unshielded
>twisted pair ?  I know that Lattisnet has such a product, and I was wondering
>what people's impressions were.

The company I work for full time has just converted from G-Net (1.44
Mbps coaxial cable) to LattisNet (10Mbps on unshielded twisted pair and
fiber optic cable).  The results are fantastic.  We have had problems
with the installers (phone installers who understand voice but not
data).  For Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) to work, the pairs must be
twisted continuously.  So far we have ~350 PCs, a VAX 8810, and 15
Novell File servers on the net.  Perkin Elmers, Tandems, a Sun, an IBM
4341 and a Wang 7310 are next.  LattisNet can be made to work.  E-mail
or call me for more details.

Jerry DiGennaro			digennar@umbc3.umbc.edu
					(301) 266-4150