[comp.dcom.lans] netware and Vaxes

HyperDriven@cup.portal.com (Joseph C McDonald) (02/08/89)

hello all,
We have a LAN with an ungermann bass OS and are looking into going Netware.
The reason for this is to use data that exists on a Vax. does anyone have
any information on Novell and Vaxes? How would such a set up work? I assume
that the Vax would continue to use it's own OS, how would you ask it for
data? and how would this data be transported to the workstation on the
LAN? is there some sort of card that plugs into the Vax? if so, what sort
of Bus?
   Thanks in Advance for any info
       HyperDriven@cup.portal.com

I think sometimes sometimes I think ....

steveb@videovax.tv.Tek.com (Steven J. Birkel) (02/18/89)

In article <14406@cup.portal.com> HyperDriven@cup.portal.com (Joseph C McDonald) writes:
>We have a LAN with an ungermann bass OS and are looking into going Netware.
>The reason for this is to use data that exists on a Vax. does anyone have
>any information on Novell and Vaxes? How would such a set up work
(stuff cut)

Novell sells a product called Netware VMS, which allows a VMS VAX to act
as a Netware V2.0A file/print server.  It looks to the PC's on the net
like any other (PC) file/print server.  The VAX uses standard DEC
Ethernet hardware.

joel@arizona.edu (Joel M. Snyder) (02/21/89)

Beware! Netware for VMS is only compatible with VMS Version 4.7 and
below.  If you're running VMS V5, you have to wait until April
(or later) for the new code.

jms
jms@mis.arizona.edu