[comp.dcom.lans] Server freezing on Netware LAN

benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) (02/22/89)

I have been having problems with a Novell Netware server freezing intermittently.  I have not yet been able to discern a pattern -- there don't seem to be any
large print jobs, nor large data transfers going on.  The server is an AST
Premium 286, running Advanced Netware 286 v2.0a.  The only thing that I can
do is to re-boot the server.

By the way, does anyone know how to recover the disk space that I lose when
this happens?  When I re-boot, the server says Sector XXX marked by FAT in use
with no file, or something like that.  It's not alot of space, but it is
bothersome.

Thanks for any help,

Dan

benderly@cs.columbia.edu

japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) (02/23/89)

In article <113@cs.columbia.edu>, benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) writes:
> I have been having problems with a Novell Netware server freezing intermittently.  I have not yet been able to discern a pattern -- there don't seem to be any
> large print jobs, nor large data transfers going on.  The server is an AST
> Premium 286, running Advanced Netware 286 v2.0a.  The only thing that I can
> do is to re-boot the server.

I had the same problem on two other machines... the problem appears to be a
bug in 2.0a when using certain ethernet cards...
Both servers that had this problem were using 3COM Etherlink Plus cards
(3c505 I beleive) and when we replaced it with a standard Etherlink (3c501)
card the problem disappeared (along with the throughput)... neither Novell
or our dealer would ever acknowledge the problem... but when we upgraded
one of our servers to 2.12 we put the Etherlink Plus card back in AND IT
WORKED... for a non-existant bug they did a good job of fixing it!!!

If your not using 3COM cards I'd be interested in what you were using???

Joe Applegate - japplega@csm9a.colorado.edu

rickm@oregon.uoregon.edu (02/23/89)

In article <1317@csm9a.UUCP>, japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) writes:
> In article <113@cs.columbia.edu>, benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) writes:
>> I have been having problems with a Novell Netware server freezing intermittently.  I have not yet been able to discern a pattern -- there don't seem to be any
>> large print jobs, nor large data transfers going on.  The server is an AST
>> Premium 286, running Advanced Netware 286 v2.0a.  The only thing that I can
>> do is to re-boot the server.
>
> I had the same problem on two other machines... the problem appears to be a
> bug in 2.0a when using certain ethernet cards...
> Both servers that had this problem were using 3COM Etherlink Plus cards
> (3c505 I beleive) and when we replaced it with a standard Etherlink (3c501)
> card the problem disappeared (along with the throughput)... neither Novell
> or our dealer would ever acknowledge the problem... but when we upgraded
> one of our servers to 2.12 we put the Etherlink Plus card back in AND IT
> WORKED... for a non-existant bug they did a good job of fixing it!!!

We had the same problem with AST/286 server and Etherlink Plus.  It ran OK at 8
MHZ but froze intermittently at higher speeds.  We have gone to using NP600s in
servers with very good results.

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (02/24/89)

Dan:

First of all, what topology are you using?

I used to experience this problem (at the company I work for in NYC).
The problem resulted from poor and worn network cables.  A few feet of cable
was sitting near the heater pipes and a few connectors were loose.  The freeze
ups stopped after we replaced ALL of the wires with new ones.  Troublesome, but
bet method in the long run.

If you wish, you may call my office in NYC and ask for Tony in the Tech. Dept.
and tell him Johnny sent you.  Micro Computer Systems - (212) 247-0420.

                                        -- J. Chin (a.k.a. Computer Dr.)
 xxxxxxxxxx
xxx  xxx  xx  ------------------ Carnegie Mellon University ------------------
xxx  xxx  xx  4730 Centre Ave. #412     ARPAnet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
xxxxxxxxxxxx  Pittsburgh, PA  15213     BITnet:  jc58@andrew.BITNET
x xxxxxxxx x  (412) 268-8936            UUCP: ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58
 xxxxxxxxxx   Smile! -- Mr. HappyWOWface -- (got this from the network)

Disclaimer:   The views expressed herein are STRICTLY my own, and not CMU's.