[comp.dcom.lans] Lattisnet/Ethernet over Twisted Pai

jsa00564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/18/89)

In article <98@cs.columbia.edu> benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) writes:
>Does anyone have any experiences with running Ethernet over unshielded
>twisted pair ?  I know that Lattisnet has such a product, and I was wondering
>what people's impressions were.

I am a University student who's been lucky enough to do systems integration
for a medium sized LAN installation.  We installed Lattisnet last August,
and have had good luck with it.  We did the installation a little differently
than most, as we wanted to install 50+ PC's using existing wire and jacks
(we just had a new PBX installed last April).  Since the jacks installed
were dual RJ-11 (2 pair), but Lattisnet uses 4-pair RJ-45 jacks (2 pairs
are not used).  So, we had some custom RJ11 to RJ45 cables made at
Black Box to make the connection.  I'd be more than happy to pass on the
specs, as it made the installation (from the phone-trained installer) look
just like another phone extension (i.e. it keeps the standard wire color
code throughout the system).  It doesn't sound like a big deal, but
there was a lot of mistakes made before we got it right.....
   Anyway, the system works well, but the installation is finicky.  The wire
MUST be solid-core copper from end to end, with VERY solid punches at any
punch blocks.  Also, the cable-length limit of 360 feet is quite strict.
(We use Lattisnet "Link Extenders" to go up to 720 feet).
   Initial installation is the only tough part, though.  Day to day, the
nodes stay up, with very little problem (at least, problems related to wiring
and such...).  We used Micom-InterLAN's NI-5210-UTP cards, but others are
available.  We've had good luck with them, only one defective unit out of
54 units.

Please feel free to call me or email any questions....
                               ^^^^^-preferred

Jeff Autor
jsa00564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu	"Help me! I'm an engineering student!"
University of Illinois

Also affiliated with Valmont Electric, Danville, IL (217) 446-4600

pnessutt@nis.mn.org (Robert A. Monio) (02/20/89)

In article <1689@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> digennar@umbc3.umbc.edu.UMBC.EDU (Mr. Jerry DiGennaro) writes:
>The firm I work for has two and ahalf buildings running LattisNet at
>this time.  We have over 15 Novell file servers, 1 VAX 8810, a Wang
>7310, and 250+ PCs running on it.  We plan to put several Tandems,
>several Perkin Elmers, an IBM 4341, and anything else we can think of on
>this Ethernet.

Could someone send me the address and phone number of the company that
vendors LattisNet?  Our company is presently looking for some
methodology that we could utilize to connect our PC's, Unix Boxes, and
4381 together.  We are presently using EXOS 201's to connect our Unix
machines, but we are now looking at expanding our ethernet to include
PC's, scanners, and the 4381.  I'm presently collecting information on
companies that vendor Network software and I would be happy if someone
could send along the address and phone number to me.

On a further note:  Has anyone had any luck/success with the SMB File
Server from SYNTAX, Inc.?  Apparently they have a NFS-Compatible
File/Server that will allow us to network our Tower Unix boxes with
our PC's over the Ethernet.  Why not use NFS instead, you say?  Well,
we're forced to go this route because NCR hasn't bothered to keep up
with the rest of the world in regards to it's Unix Releases.  Even
though I'm a CVT site for OS:03.00.00, I still regard the timeframes I
have for implentation as something that won't work with the expected
delivery dates on NCR's networking solutions.  Since SYNTAX advertises
that it's SMB server is NFS compatible this may be the solution for
us.  Anyone else care to share anything with me about similar
situations?  I would prefer email, but if enough response is
generated, I will post a summary here.

Thanks.

 -Bob

--
 Robert A. Monio
 National Information Services, Inc.      "Market Strategy?  Business Plan?

howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) (02/21/89)

In article <1689@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, digennar@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Mr. Jerry DiGennaro) writes:

> The firm I work for has two and ahalf buildings running LattisNet at
> this time....
> .  The only major problems has been with the initial
> wiring.  Phone people think any four wires will make a four wire
> circuit.  LattisNet needs a continous twisted pair for the receiving
> side and a continous twisted pair for the transmit side.  Continous
> means from the back of the PC/computer/host all the way back to the
> LattisNet concentrator.

I wonder if you could clarify if your problems with paired wire
are due to a loss of pair sense, or are you saying that you have had
problems with wire closet punchdowns?

In a pair sense problem, some interpretation of installation practice
causes two wires which start out in one pair to be assigned to two
different pairs.  For example, there is a nonobvious point in
DECconnect async jack installation instructions, which has a good
reason in a pure DEC environment (essentially avoiding the need for
a separate null modem with DECservers), which will cause certain
"paired" wires at the office wall jack not to appear in the same pair
in the wire closet. When this jack was reused for Wangnet (through
a dual-coax-to-twisted-pair balun), it simply didn't work, although
it did when rewiring was done to keep all pair wires together.

In the case above, the twisted pairs, in the eventually working condition,
went through 2-3 wire closets containing 66-type punchdowns and/or
RJ45 patch panels.  As long as the pairs were kept together, everything
worked.

In the original comment about Lattisnet, would the above wiring closet
arrangement be a problem, assuming punchdowns, etc., are done properly?
Well-installed punchdowns should seem like the twisted pair, but
Murphy doesn't always allow that!  Does Lattisnet really need a continuous
wire which does not go through wire closets (with the caveat that these
closets are wired by competent data installers as opposed to general
voice people)?

--
howard@cos.com OR  {uunet,  decuac, sun!sundc, hadron, hqda-ai}!cos!howard
(703) 883-2812 [W] (703) 998-5017 [H]

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (02/22/89)

The makers of LattisNet are SynOptics:  (I'm not affiliated with them.)

    SynOptics Communications, Inc.
    501 East Middlefield Road
    Mountain View, California  94043-4015

    (800) USA - 8023

I believe that the phone number is correct.  I know that the address is.

                                        -- J. Chin (a.k.a. Computer Dr.)
 xxxxxxxxxx
xxx  xxx  xx  ------------------ Carnegie Mellon University ------------------
xxx  xxx  xx  4730 Centre Ave. #412     ARPAnet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
xxxxxxxxxxxx  Pittsburgh, PA  15213     BITnet:  jc58@andrew.BITNET
x xxxxxxxx x  (412) 268-8936            UUCP: ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58
xx        xx  ----------------------------------------------------------------
 xxxxxxxxxx   Smile! -- Mr. HappyWOWface -- (got this from the network)

Disclaimer:   The views expressed herein are STRICTLY my own, and not CMU's.

jsa00564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/24/89)

howard@cos.com writes:

>..the twisted pairs, in the eventually working condition,
>went through 2-3 wire closets containing 66-type punchdowns and/or
>RJ45 patch panels.  As long as the pairs were kept together, everything
>worked..
>
>In the original comment about Lattisnet, would the above wiring close
>arrangement be a problem, assuming puchdowns, etc., are done properly>
[stuff deleted]
>Does Lattisnet really need a continuous wire which does not go through
>wire closets (with the caveat that these closets are wire by competent
>data installers as opposed to general voice people.

a couple comments I can make here.....

1. No, Lattisnet does not require a "straight-through" cable with no
   punches.  BUT, the punchdowns are the source for problems, and should
   be minimized whenever possible (without bypassing good practice)

2. At my installation, we have workstations connected 360 feet away, and
   they go through 3 wire closets by the time the wire gets to the
   concentrator (hub of the star topology).

3.  As I stated before, I was able to simplify the installation and
    conform to "telephone standards" by converting the Lattisnet RJ45
    for use with RJ-11 jacks.  Since Lattisnet only uses 4 wires (2-pair)
    the other 2-pairs in an RJ45 are unused.  I had Black Box construct
    cables to make the switch.

**  Things to check if a workstation can't connect to a file server  **

This is my basic checklist for diagnosing Lattisnet cable problems, without
the use of Sniffers, etc.. (assuming the PC/NIC are good)

    --  If the workstation is plugged in, and the wire is the correct
	one, a green light will appear on the NIC and the Concentrator.
	This light shows ONLY that at least one wire of each pair is
	connected. Getting the green light (Link Status) is only half
	the battle.

     -- Be sure all strapping/jumper wire used in the phone closets are
	true solid-core, twisted pair.  No exceptions.

    -- Check for obvious bad punchdowns.  Repunch all with a SHARP TOOL!

     -- If it still doesn't work, re-punch each block, starting at the
	furthest connection from the PC (where it's most sensitive).

     -- Tighten all clips on 66-type blocks.  Replace any that don't seem
	to fit snug.

    -- Lastly, the workstation, if it still doesn't work, is probably
       more than 360 cable-feet from the concentrator. Install a Link
       extender, or find another wire path.... (I know this is vague)

By the way, my conversion to RJ11 jacks allowed me to use our "general voice
people" to install Lattisnet nodes, without any special training.  The only
portion of the wire installation that is different from a phone extension is
that Lattisnet's host module (MOD-407) block skips one pair between nodes...

E-mail any questions...

Jeff Autor
jsa00564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu		"Help me! I'm an engineering student!"
at the University of Illinois

(also affiliated with Valmont Electric, a subsidiary of Valmont Industries)
The opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Valmont Electric.

digennar@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Mr. Jerry DiGennaro) (02/25/89)

In article <15364@cos.com> howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) writes:
>In article <1689@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, digennar@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Mr. Jerry DiGennaro) writes:
>> .  The only major problems has been with the initial
>> wiring.  Phone people think any four wires will make a four wire
>> circuit.  LattisNet needs a continous twisted pair for the receiving
>> side and a continous twisted pair for the transmit side.  Continous
>> means from the back of the PC/computer/host all the way back to the
>> LattisNet concentrator.
>

>I wonder if you could clarify if your problems with paired wire
>are due to a loss of pair sense, or are you saying that you have had
>problems with wire closet punchdowns?
>
>In a pair sense problem, some interpretation of installation practice
>causes two wires which start out in one pair to be assigned to two
>different pairs.

This is the problem I was mentioning.  Synoptics (manufacturers of the
LattisNet product) recommends AT&T PDS wiring to include 66
blocks.  One does not need solid continuous unshielded twisted pairs
running end to end.

There is also a recommendation for patch panels to make changes easier.
One wires from the workstation to the 66 block in the closet.  From the
66 block you go to a patch panel (say with 25 pair cable), from the
patch panel, jumpper cables with RJ-45s on them take you to the
concentrator.

Also the concentrators are linked via fiber optic cables.  The maximum
length of the UTP wire is some 360 feet or so.  (Check the specs for the
exact value)

Sorry for the confusion with my poor terminology.
--
Jerry DiGennaro			digennar@umbc3.umbc.edu
						(301) 266-4150