[comp.dcom.lans] Whose is your favorite Ethernet tranceiver?

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (02/17/89)

I'm looking at the prospect of replacing several 3Com 3C100 ethernet
tranceivers, and I'd like to get some opinions on what to replace them with.
All current tranceivers are intrusive, but non-intrusive ones can be considered
as well.  So far, I'm between the newer 3Com ones and Cabletron's.  I seem
to remember some problems with Interlan's offerings, and I've had experience
with TCL's.

Any comments appreciated.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, my VT05, or my 11/34)

bethune@ingr.com (Dave Bethune) (02/22/89)

In article <2831@stpstn.UUCP>, aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) writes:

> I'm looking at the prospect of replacing several 3Com 3C100 ethernet
> tranceivers, and I'd like to get some opinions on what to replace them with.
> All current tranceivers are intrusive, but non-intrusive ones can be considered
> as well.  So far, I'm between the newer 3Com ones and Cabletron's.  I seem
> to remember some problems with Interlan's offerings, and I've had experience
> with TCL's.

I'm curious about the problems that you had (or heard about) with the Interlan
transceivers. Could you elaborate on this ?

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (02/22/89)

In article <4023@ingr.com> bethune@ingr.com (Dave Bethune) writes:
>In article <2831@stpstn.UUCP>, aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>> to remember some problems with Interlan's offerings, and I've had experienc
>I'm curious about the problems that you had (or heard about) with the
> Interlan transceivers. Could you elaborate on this ?

I've never used one.  I said the above because I vaguely remember people
saying that they liked to break or something, a few years back on the net.
I can't offer anything more specific.  I've already received several
recommendations for Cabletron tranceivers, and at around $250-$275 a pop,
I'm probably going to go with them.
--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, my VT05, or my 11/34)
beak is@>beak is not
Anthony A. Datri @SysAdmin(Stepstone Corporation) aad@stepstone.com stpstn!aad

jeff@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Stearns) (02/28/89)

Go with Cabletron.  They're probably the only major manufacturer who hasn't
had some (or all) of their Ethernet gear removed from service here.
--
    Jeff Stearns        John Fluke Mfg. Co, Inc.               (206) 356-5064
    jeff@tc.fluke.COM   {uw-beaver,microsoft,sun}!fluke!jeff

PS - Calling all users of the Vitalink TransLAN IV Ethernet bridge! Please
     drop me a line.