[comp.dcom.lans] HELP - Can't Install Network Dbase

freeborg@cat35.CS.WISC.EDU (John Freeborg) (03/01/89)

     I'm having a real problem installing Dbase III+ onto one of our novell
servers.  I can get it to install on 6 out of the 7 file servers, but
on the one file server the install batch file says:
     "Hard disk incompatible ( 102)"
What I don't understand is why it installs on other identical file
servers, but not this one.
     I know that Dbase III+ is protected by Softguard v. 3.00 and I've
looked for hidden files or directories that might be on the bad file
server which might prevent Dbase from installing on it but to no avail.
I've also ravaged all the local BBS's to find an unprotect for Dbase
but all the ones I've found are for the version protected by Softguard
v. 2.03 or 2.00.
     I'm trying to install the Dbase Administrator (the multi-user one)
vs. the normal dbase (single user).  The file server is a PC Limited
286 8 Mhz AT clone with a Miniscribe 72 meg hard disk.  It's running
Novell 2.1 SFT (just like the other 6 servers).  I thought that maybe
you could only install Dbase a limited number of times but I can still
successfully install it on any of the other 6 file servers.  I've tried
tech. support but they seem to have the phone off the hook (the endless
busy signal syndrome..).
     The kicker of course is that the only file server we need Dbase III+
administrator on is the one we can't install it on.

Any ideas from anybody?

Thanks a million,
      John Freeborg

freeborg@cat30.cs.wisc.edu               freeborg@garfield.cs.wisc.edu
JOHNF@h8001.cae.wisc.edu                 freeborg@astro.cae.wisc.edu

smq@maxx.NBI.COM (Steve Quincy) (03/02/89)

In article <2338@puff.cs.wisc.edu>, freeborg@cat35.CS.WISC.EDU (John Freeborg) writes:

>      I'm having a real problem installing Dbase III+ onto one of our novell
> servers.  I can get it to install on 6 out of the 7 file servers, but
> on the one file server the install batch file says:
>      "Hard disk incompatible ( 102)"
> What I don't understand is why it installs on other identical file
> servers, but not this one.
>      I'm trying to install the Dbase Administrator (the multi-user one)
> vs. the normal dbase (single user).  The file server is a PC Limited
> 286 8 Mhz AT clone with a Miniscribe 72 meg hard disk.  It's running

 John,

 One of my customers recently experienced the same problem when loading a
 networked version of Dbase III+ on a Banyan server.  The problem was found
 to be a bug in the Dbase which inhibited loading it on drives with size
 greater than 40MB.  We obtained a patch from Ashton-Tate and to my knowledge
 this fixed the problem.

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (03/02/89)

I have successfully installed dBase III+ on several servers without any
problems.  I have even got it to work without the Administrator.

What I basically did was ID the program disk as I am told and then just
copied all the files into a sub-directory of the server (begin logged in as
the supervisor, of course).

The server in my office in NYC has been running fine for over 2 years now
and haven't experienced any problems.  In matter of fact the copy that is
running on that server was a pre-released dealer copy.
If you have any particular questions, please send me mail directly.
I will be more than glad to answer them.  If the questions are common, I will
also post it.
  /           / 4730 Centre Ave. #412   ARPAnet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
 /  -------  /  Pittsburgh, PA  15213   BITnet:  jc58@andrew
 \__________/   (412) 268-8936          UUCP: ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58
 Computer Dr.
Disclaimer:   The views expressed herein are STRICTLY my own, and not CMU's.