[comp.dcom.lans] Novell problem on AST Premium Workstations

djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) (03/09/89)

One of our users is having difficulty getting his AST Premium Workstation/286
computers to recognize network interface cards (NICs).  He's running a local
area network using Novell Advanced Netware 2.12 over thin ethernet cable using
Western Digital Ethercard Plus (WD8003E) NICs.

These cards are recognized without problem by the other machines on the network,
including Tandy 3000, Kaypro PC-30, and even an AST Premium 286.  There's
something about the AST Workstation model that isn't configured correctly
(I assume), but everything he's tried (including the patience of the dealer)
hasn't changed the results.

Any pointers from the LAN-weary out there in Netland?

So long, and thanks from all the fish!

Dick O'Connor
Washington Department of Fisheries
Olympia, Washington  98504
Internet Mail: djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu
DISCLAIMER:  I speak only for myself, not for the Department.  Here, anyway!

steve@jhereg.Jhereg.MN.ORG (Steve Peterson) (03/10/89)

In article <1097@blake.acs.washington.edu> djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) writes:
>One of our users is having difficulty getting his AST Premium Workstation/286
>computers to recognize network interface cards (NICs).  He's running a local
>area network using Novell Advanced Netware 2.12 over thin ethernet cable using
>Western Digital Ethercard Plus (WD8003E) NICs.

I was recently at a customer site with the WD8003 installed that was having
slow performance with the card.  It turned out to be a compatibility
problem between the Compaq 386s and the WD8003.  The first thing you should
check is that you are using the Rev. C .obj file to generate the
workstation IPX driver.  You can get this by calling WD at 1 800 777 4787.
Their technical support is competent and answers the phone.

Steve Peterson                                  Internet:  steve@jhereg.mn.com
FOURTH SHIFT Corporation                              Compuserve: [72200,2773]
Steve Peterson                                INTERNET: steve@jhereg.mn.org
FOURTH SHIFT Corporation                            Compuserve [72220,2773]

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (03/10/89)

First of all, make sure that the WD8003E is placed in one of the 8-bit slots.

Second, make sure that the IRQ on the card is set correctly to what the
network driver (IPX) is set to.

Third, make sure that this AST doesn't have a second serial port if the IRQ on
the card is set to IRQ-3 (this is the WD default).

If all this fails, try another IPX file from a working station.  If that fails,
try a card from another workstation.
Usually this will determine the problem.

And also check the T-connector, it may be faulty.

I hope this sheds some light on your problem.
  /           / 4730 Centre Ave. #412   ARPAnet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
 /  -------  /  Pittsburgh, PA  15213   BITnet:  jc58@andrew
 \__________/   (412) 268-8936          UUCP: ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58
 Computer Dr.

Disclaimer:   The views expressed herein are STRICTLY my own, and not CMU's.