[comp.dcom.lans] Cabling beteen BNC T-connector and workstation?!

rwl@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU (Ray Lubinsky) (03/22/89)

A previous poster was mentioning a "fly-run" from a thin Ethernet T-connector
to the machine.  Are there any gurus who can comment on the legitimacy of
attempting this?

I'd gotten the impression that you were forced to attach the T directly to the
workstation and that any extra length between the T and the machine would
seriously degrade performance (by throwing off collision detection).

--
| Ray Lubinsky                         rwl@trinity.cs.virginia.edu (Internet) |
|                                      rwl@virginia                  (BITnet) |

dd@ariel.unm.edu (03/23/89)

In article <3036@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU> rwl@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU
(Ray Lubinsky) writes:

>A previous poster was mentioning a "fly-run" from a thin Ethernet T-connector
>to the machine.  Are there any gurus who can comment on the legitimacy of
>attempting this?

>I'd gotten the impression that you were forced to attach the T directly to the
>workstation and that any extra length between the T and the machine would
>seriously degrade performance (by throwing off collision detection).

	Perhaps by throwing off collision detection, but there is a
	more basic problem:  If you do this, it will no longer be a
	50 ohm impedance!  This will, of course create/exagerate any
	problems you would normally encounter with reflections and
	standing waves.

	In short, I recommend against it, HIGHLY.

Don Doerner (dd@ariel.unm.edu)

2701 Campus Blvd., NE
Albuquerque, NM, 87131

(505)277-8036

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (03/23/89)

In article <3036@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU>, rwl@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU (Ray Lubinsky) writes:
} A previous poster was mentioning a "fly-run" from a thin Ethernet T-connector
} to the machine.  Are there any gurus who can comment on the legitimacy of
} attempting this?

It isn't legit.

} I'd gotten the impression that you were forced to attach the T directly to the
} workstation and that any extra length between the T and the machine would
} seriously degrade performance (by throwing off collision detection).

You are correct.

todds@cognos.uucp (Todd Sandor) (03/24/89)

In article <3036@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU> rwl@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU (Ray Lubinsky) writes:
+Are there any gurus who can comment on the legitimacy of
+attempting this?
+I'd gotten the impression that you were forced to attach the T directly to the
+workstation and that any extra length between the T and the machine would
+seriously degrade performance (by throwing off collision detection).

I'm got a guru on this, but can let you know that we had a Lan Analyzer
Vendor Salesman (no vendor name here), come in to show us a demo and he
tried to hook up his analyzer like this (I showed him the room and left
for a few minutes), and before I made it back to the room people were
complaining that something on their workstations was wrong, after some
checking I found he had done this, I unhooked it and then everything came
back up, bottom line is if do this it will bring down that thin-net cable
segment, or at least it happened to us.
--
Todd Sandor             Voice: (613) 738-1338 ext 2704     P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated     FAX: (613) 738-0002                3755 Riverside Dr.