[comp.dcom.lans] Need info in IR trancievers

randy@oetl.UUCP (Randy O'Meara) (03/23/89)

	I need information (manufacturers/distributors) on Infra-red
	tranceivers.  If I remember properly,  there was some discussion
	in this newsgroup recently about using this type of line-of-sight
	setup for intra-bulding networking.  Please email. Thanks.

<  Randy O'Meara -- LMSC -- SCF                                 >
<          {pyramid,leadsv}!oetl!randy   PHONE:  (408) 425-6249 >
<_______________________________________________________________>

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (03/23/89)

We've at long last, have been beta testing these laser (through the air)
ethernet transcievers.  With regard to setting them up and keeping them
aligned with one another, they were much better than we expected.  There
turned out to be a firmware bug in them and they are busy fixing that,
but we expect that it will probably work out.  The things go for about
$14,000 for the set.

-Ron

grenley@sunkist.UUCP (George Grenley) (03/24/89)

In article <426@oetl1.oetl.UUCP> randy@oetl.UUCP (Randy O'Meara) writes:

>	I need information (manufacturers/distributors) on Infra-red
>	tranceivers.

Try   Codenoll Technology
      1086 N Broadway
      Yonkers NY 10701
      (914) 965-6300

scarter@caip.rutgers.edu (Stephen M. Carter) (03/24/89)

In article <Mar.23.10.09.15.1989.14834@ron.rutgers.edu> ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>We've at long last, have been beta testing these laser (through the air)
>ethernet transcievers.  With regard to setting them up and keeping them
>aligned with one another, they were much better than we expected.  There
>turned out to be a firmware bug in them and they are busy fixing that,
>but we expect that it will probably work out.  The things go for about
>$14,000 for the set.

To add some "light" to the above (sorry, I couldn't resist), the units are
made by Lace Communications.  (I am at home, so I don't want to try and
guess on the address, or the actual specs, but I can post a later summary
of the units if anyone is interested.  The company has been around for a while
doing RS232, RS422, T1, etc through these.  The enet is new but uses the
same basic guts.  They were designed to be simple ethernet transceivers so
the user can add the repeater/gateway/bridge of choice (I like this idea).
We have the test config as follows:

-----------------------------coax-------------------------------
	|				|
	|				|
      repeater				sun servers

     Lace at Bldg A
	||		;about 1500 feet
     Lace at Bldg B

    ---------   Fan-out
     | |
    diskless Suns

They were installed by the vendor in about two hours (they say the user
can install these, and watching, I would tend to agree).   I *think* I
remember the max distance to be a kilometer, and they are working on
longer range versions.   As Ron pointed out, we found them better than
we expected.  The trick is a very sturdy mount, and even with our temp
mounts, they stayed pretty much on tract through the first thirty days
of the test.

The bug Ron mentioned showed up both at our site and the other beta site
(NIH, I think) which was packet dropping on many long back-to-back
packets (ie diskless Sun traffic).  It was traced to one of the chips
not being fast enough.  We are waiting for our units to be returned from
this fix.

So, are many interested in the details?

Stephen Carter
Rutgers