[comp.dcom.lans] 10-NET memory problems

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (03/28/89)

Recently, I've been having a problem with my 10-NET system.  All of
the machines are servers, since we share printers between all systems.
Unfortunately, the 10-NET software is sucking up 150K of RAM below the
640 line, which makes most big programs (like dBase IV) choke.

I have succeeded in placing all but the large (100K) executable in
high memory on one machine using QEMM for 386.  However, there is no
way to put the large executable in high memory, that I have found.
DCA, who makes the system, says that there will be a version released
in July that supports high memory, but that I'm stuck for now.

Does anyone have a solution?  I have 1.5M of high memory on the 386,
and on an AT-compatible I have 300K above 640.

Mark

--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
RPO 1604; P.O. Box 5063   that you do not miss what is right under your nose."

mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) (03/29/89)

In article <Mar.27.16.55.23.1989.1816@topaz.rutgers.edu>, msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
> Recently, I've been having a problem with my 10-NET system.  All of
> the machines are servers, since we share printers between all systems.
> Unfortunately, the 10-NET software is sucking up 150K of RAM below the
> 640 line, which makes most big programs (like dBase IV) choke.

I read that DOS 4.0 supported drivers in high memory; whether the "executable"
you're talking about qualifies as a driver under their definition, I don't
know.  I also don't know if DOS 4 ever worked.  I posted another note to
comp.sys.ibm.pc asking, though, so we'll see if anybody's using it successfully.