[comp.dcom.lans] Twisted Pair & Ethernet

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (03/30/89)

In article <10610@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> dtk@mcdphx.UUCP (Dave) writes:

>At mcdphx we have recently installed our new facility with Cabletron
>MMAC-3 twisted pair ethernet along with ATT wiring and pds.
> [...]
>The biggest problem getting the network up was wiring, bad rj45
>connections, and twisted pairs to/from the pds.

	That is also one thing we have found with TP Ethernet.  Mod
jacks have to be suspect since they can become loose and can cause
unusual errors.  Another reason the lights are nice with Cabletron.

>We used the patch cords for maximum flexibility and
>I believe this to be a mistake.  Our pds is very difficult to work on
>since all the patch cords form a large vertical pile.

	We like PDS patch cords (should mention this is on 110 panels,
not 66 blocks).  I wonder if you use the little finger trays between
hundred pair sections for patch cord organization?  If you use the
plastic, screw-on-the-wall type 110, patch cords all hang in front and
make a mess.  The little finger trays on the 110s installed on metal
troughs are much nicer for organizing large panels.  We also put D
rings in between the vertical columns of 110 for organizing patch.
Wish I could show a picture.

	Kent England, Boston University