[comp.dcom.lans] Cabletron Twisted Pair Ethernet

chen@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Bill Chen) (03/14/89)

I've seen notes bounce around about Synoptics Lattisnet, but has
anyone had experiences (good or bad) with Cabletron's twisted pair
ethernet product (MMAC-3)?

- Bill

William Chen		chen@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
Network Planning	212-854-7593
Columbia University

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (03/16/89)

In article <1297@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>
chen@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Bill Chen) writes:
>I've seen notes bounce around about Synoptics Lattisnet, but has
>anyone had experiences (good or bad) with Cabletron's twisted pair
>ethernet product (MMAC-3)?

	We have had a lot of experience with Cabletron products.  We
have had the TP MMAC in a production environment for a month or so on
a very heavily loaded Ethernet with lots of nd and nfs traffic.  It
works well.
	We have one MMAC with three TPT-MIMs as they quaintly call
their modular interface cards.  Almost all the interfaces are used.
We have also tested their thin-coax MIM and the F/O MIM and FOTs.

	As many of you know, I like Cabletron very much, but I think
that all the TP Ethernet products are working well and will even
interoperate when the 10BaseT is finished and we have some production
chips for sale.

	One caveat:  We will not run TP Ethernet in 25 pair cable or
any other sheath with tip & ring.  One of our engineers has put the
Cabletron TP Ethernet thru a torture test of run lengths, multiple
punchdowns, tip&ring, etc and run LAN-MD tests and found no
appreciable errors.  It is designed to work in these existing cabling
environments, but we won't be installing it in anything other than
modern up-to-date individual 4 twisted pair circuits.  We designed our
cable plan with Ethernet in mind two years ago and I think it is
exceeding our expectations, but I caution others to have old cable
plants tested before making a major commitment to TP Ethernet.

	Following jbvb's exemplary etiquette  :-) I must mention
Synoptics, HP, Ungermann-Bass, David and probably many others who will
have proprietary and standard implementations of TP ethernet, all of
them with essentially the same performance.  (no flames, please)

	Now, if we can just get some 10BaseT onboard transceivers, the
economics should be just about right for this to really take off.

	Kent England, Boston University

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (03/17/89)

I was talking to a member of the 10BaseT IEEE committee, and it
was his opinion that the group was moving to what is referred to
as the HP proposal (this is also what AT&T's Starlan 10 is).
Neither the Synoptics nor the Cabletron twisted pair stuff is
compatible with this.  Something about 1MHz pilot signals or
something like that.

-Ron

dtk@mcdphx.UUCP (Dave) (03/29/89)

In article <1297@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> chen@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Bill Chen) writes:
>I've seen notes bounce around about Synoptics Lattisnet, but has
>anyone had experiences (good or bad) with Cabletron's twisted pair
>ethernet product (MMAC-3)?

At mcdphx we have recently installed our new facility with Cabletron
MMAC-3 twisted pair ethernet along with ATT wiring and pds. Our
network consists of 5 MMAC-8's and 3 MMAC-3's with the Cabletron
FOT fiber transceivers between buildings.  We ordered the "dumb"
repeater modules, but were sent and not charged for the "intelligent"
repeater modules (IRM). My experience has been good with Cabletron support
personnel.

We had one MMAC-3 DOA, due to a power supply problem, and have had
another power supply module die since installation. We have been
online since 1/89.

The intelligent repeater module is of limited use since no one seems
to know what constitutes an error to increment on the status screen.
The error could be a runt/oversize/late collision or ???.  As such, it
may flag a problem, but really points you to use other tools.  The
limits and other "features" in the IRM are disabled, and I feel of
little use.  During the demo of the MMAC, the entire network shutdown
because the sales person had enabled the limits with very small
values. As soon as the values were exceeded, the ports were disabled.
Since we were not in the pds room, we tried all sorts of things before
figuring out that the ports were disabled. We use a dumb terminal
hooked to the IRM and not the PC based software.

We have installed ~ 225 tpt2 transceivers with 5 DOA.  I thought the
leds would be of limited use, but they have been very useful.

I am not terribly overjoyed at the number of errors reported by the IRM
or by the number of errors detected by our hosts.  The number is well
within the 802 spec, but is a jump from our previous configuration of
"mellow yellow", RG8.

I guess my recommendation would be summed up in that we are buying a
whole new set of Cabletron MMAC's for the old building.

The biggest problem getting the network up was wiring, bad rj45
connections, and twisted pairs to/from the pds.  It also is a
challenge to keep an accurate picture of the pds with all the phone,
 rs232, and TP enet running through.
We used the patch cords for maximum flexibility and
I believe this to be a mistake.  Our pds is very difficult to work on
since all the patch cords form a large vertical pile.

We use it, we abuse it, and it works for us.

Dave Knappenberger     dtk@mcdphx.UUCP	(602) 438-3741
These are my opinions and not necessarily those of
Motorola Micro Computer Division

shaver@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Dave Shaver) (03/30/89)

Kent England writes:
>As many of you know, I like Cabletron very much, but I think
>that all the TP Ethernet products are working well and will even
>interoperate when the 10BaseT is finished [...]

We're (finally) moving to TP for our LANs on campus.  Much has been
said on the TP Ethernet issue here, but I've never really see a summary
of the "whole" issue in any of the postings.  Thus, I'm interested in
people responding via mail and I will post a summary of the following
issues and any other comments or experiences you would like to add:

First, with most of the TP solutions (Cabletron, Synoptics, etc) there
is one or more boxes that tie all the TP segments together (for
Cabletron it's the MMAC.)  A basic question we have is: What about
backplane contention?  Will this be a problem?  e.g.: Let's say we have
several diskless workstations on their own TP segment and the server on
another.  Assume that the server and diskless stations can be on
different cards (in the Cabletron example TPT-MIMs.) Is this "slower"
in any important way than if the two were connected via coax?
Cabletron reps and techies claim no.  We're looking for someone with
experience.

Next, we currently have a campus-wide "network" (read terminal server)
which requires 2 pairs for a connection.  However, each "network" jack
on Campus has 3 pairs.  Thus, a user can use the "network" and still
have a pair left over.  At least one department on campus has gone with
Pairtamer (I think the same as a Baluns) for TP Ethernet.  The
Pairtamer takes RG58 and transmits it over a single pair.  3Com's sales
blurbs say the segement of TP works exactly like coax, so you can do
something like this without any problems:

X = server
x = client
z = random non-client
O = Pairtamer
= = Coax
- = Single TP

=z=X===x==O------O===x==z==O-----O====x===z===O----O=z
			--or--
MM = Multiconnect

	z=O--------O=||
       z=x=O-------O=MM=O--------O=X
		     ||=O--------O=x==x==x

I'm wondering if someone could relate their experiences with
Baluns/Pairtamer vs.  a "real" TP solution (Cabletron, Synoptics,
etc.)  All of the "real" solutions I've seen require 2 pair.  In
comparing the use of a "real" 2 pair solution vs. using a single pair
solution (Baluns), is there enough functionality, reliability, etc,
gained to warrant the major expense (on our campus) of pulling more
wire to each endpoint?  Cabletron reps say 2 pair solutions are the
only way to go.  Their major selling point seems to be in the realm
of network management.  Comments PLEASE.

Finally, more experiences and comments (like Kent's) with either
Cabletron, Synoptics, 3-Com Multiconnect, etc, are highly sought
after.

All of us neyphites in the TP Ethernet game thank you in advance.

/\  Dave Shaver  -=*=-  CS Systems Support Group, Iowa State University
\\  UUCP:  {hplabs!hp-lsd, uunet!umix!sharkey}!atanasoff!shaver
\/  Internet: shaver@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

		...In stereo where available...