[comp.dcom.lans] AT&T PDS 110 Cross-Connect

ccef001@ut-emx.UUCP (Mark Klotzbach) (04/03/89)

	Does anybody have any experience with the AT&T PDS cross connect
system which uses 110 punchdowns and 110 cross connects? Specifically I
am looking for information on the integrity of the 110 cross connect
connectors, the generation of signal noise, and any problems found in
systems running telephone traffic and data traffic on the same wiring
bundle.

			Network Systems Office
			University of Texas at Austin

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) (04/03/89)

In article <11682@ut-emx.UUCP>, ccef001@ut-emx.UUCP (Mark Klotzbach) writes:
> 	Does anybody have any experience with the AT&T PDS cross connect
> system which uses 110 punchdowns and 110 cross connects? Specifically I
> am looking for information on the integrity of the 110 cross connect
> connectors, the generation of signal noise, and any problems found in
> systems running telephone traffic and data traffic on the same wiring
> bundle.
I am located on the 19th floor of a 32 floor building.  The entire building is
wired with AT&T's 110 PDS.  I am running 9.6kb circuits to all 32 floors and
have experienced no noise problems at all.  The only negative comment I could
make on 110's, is we have noticed they don't take to repeated 'punches' like
the old 66 blocks did, ie. we have had some poor connections if the block
has had cross-connects changed on it several times.  The average circuit in
this building has a minimum of 3 x-connects on it, so I guess that speaks
well of the system.

Art Gentry
Opinions are strickly my own!

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (04/03/89)

In article <671@kcdev.UUCP> gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) writes:
>In article <11682@ut-emx.UUCP>, ccef001@ut-emx.UUCP (Mark Klotzbach) writes:
>> 	Does anybody have any experience with the AT&T PDS cross connect
>> system which uses 110 punchdowns and 110 cross connects? Specifically I...
>I am located on the 19th floor of a 32 floor building.  The entire building is
>wired with AT&T's 110 PDS.  I am running 9.6kb circuits to all 32 floors and
>have experienced no noise problems at all.  The only negative comment I could
>make on 110's, is we have noticed they don't take to repeated 'punches' like
>the old 66 blocks did, ie. we have had some poor connections if the block
>has had cross-connects changed on it several times.  The average circuit in
>this building has a minimum of 3 x-connects on it, so I guess that speaks
>well of the system.

	The problem with repeated punchdowns is one we anticipated
when we evaluated 110s and we decided at that point to go with AT&Ts
crosspatch cords.  These cords do not suffer any of the problems of
punching down.  (We found bits of wire sticking in the "teeth" of the
blade when punched-down wire was pulled out.)
	I think that 110 with crosspatch cords is far superior to 110
with punchdown or to 66 blocks.  Now if the cost of the cords wound
come down a little more...

	One more thing, you can't make up mega-patches like you can
with 66 blocks.  Don't plan on using 1A2 key equipment and punching
down 47 circuits on the same block.  One circuit per location and then
crosspatch to another panel which is all punched together off-panel.
We find this to be no problem, certainly not for data and isdn-style
phones.