[comp.dcom.lans] PC 802.3/Ethernet LAN cards

mjoshi@hpldsla.HP.COM (03/31/89)

Anyone has an idea about fast 802.3/Ethernet cards for IBM
compatible backplanes for PCs?

I know of Western Digital, 3-COM, Interlink(or was it Interlan?),
Excelan, but have not really worked with them to be able to judge
correctly their potency.  Also has anyone evaluated the
performance of cards in terms of speed, memory requirements,
cost-effectiveness, data buffering, DMA cycle time and the like?

I plan to select the two best cards in the market right now
to do finer comparisons.

Manoj Joshi.
Scientific Instruments Division, HP.
(415)857-7099.

goodloe@ingr.com (Tony Goodloe) (04/04/89)

In article <2240001@hpldsla.HP.COM>, mjoshi@hpldsla.HP.COM writes:

> Anyone has an idea about fast 802.3/Ethernet cards for IBM
> compatible backplanes for PCs?

The Western Digital WD8003E has gotten good press as far as performance goes.
We have used it and it is the fastest of the ones we looked at (in our
particular setup.) One of the LAN magazines did a performance
comparison, and the WD card came out on top.