[comp.dcom.lans] Unix on Token Ring LANs

slf@well.UUCP (Sharon Lynne Fisher) (04/06/89)

I'm doing an article for Unix World on Ethernet LANs vs. Token Ring LANs.  I
don't expect I'll have much trouble finding people who link Unix boxes with
Ethernet :-)  , but I'm looking for people who link them with Token Ring,
either the 4-mbps or the newer 16-mbps.  Or if you've considered Token Ring
but decided against it, I'm interested in that too.  Please reply, send e-mail,
or phone me at (415) 552-0588.  Thanks!
slf@well.uucp

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (04/07/89)

In article <11242@well.UUCP> slf@well.UUCP (Sharon Lynne Fisher) writes:

>I'm doing an article for Unix World on Ethernet LANs vs. Token Ring LANs.  I
>don't expect I'll have much trouble finding people who link Unix boxes with
>Ethernet :-)  , but I'm looking for people who link them with Token Ring,
>either the 4-mbps or the newer 16-mbps.

	I personally favor the older, but faster, 80Mbps dual
counter-rotating token rings.  10Mbps dual token ring is fine, too, if
you have to scrimp.    :-)

	All of our Ethernet subnets are linked together over an 80Mbps
token ring backbone using routers.  I think that this sort of thing
will become even more common when there is a standard 100Mbps token
ring.

	Please remember that "token ring" does not necessarily mean
IBM token ring.

	At any rate, "token ring and unix boxes" is old hat, unless you
hope to find people using IBM token ring.  That might be newsworthy.