[comp.dcom.lans] IP address per host vs. per interface

earle@mahendo.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Greg Earle) (04/07/89)

In article <15134@bellcore.bellcore.com> karn@jupiter.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) writes:
>>Well, for one thing, Phil's code associates an IP address with the *host*,
>>not with each interface. (See? KA9Q isn't *perfect*... yet.)
>
>I consider that a feature, not a bug. :-)  Seriously, I have always
>considered the Internet approach of giving addresses to interfaces
>rather than to hosts to have been a bad move, and my approach of "one IP
>address per customer" was a deliberate design decision based on how I
>wanted the amateur packet radio TCP/IP network to evolve.

Until a few days ago, I had thought that any machine with more than one
network interface *had* to have a separate IP address for each interface.
Now it appears that this isn't necessarily so; I infer that both from Phil's
posting, and I also just discovered an Encore Annex terminal server that
gives the same IP address to it's Ethernet interface, and to a permanently-
attached SLIP interface (which connects the Encore here at JPL to a Sun
at a Rockwell site about 35 miles away).  When I first did the netstat -i
on the Encore and noticed that it spewed out the same IP address, my brain
started to hurt and I almost blew my cookies (^:  "Non sequitur!!" my brain
howled.  "How is this possible?  Doesn't it break things left and right?" it
asked.

Can someone quote chapter and verse on where this is allowed?  Is it not
recommended?  Does it break anything to do things this way?  I'm confused ...

As much as my brain dislikes the idea, in practice it has a highly
desirable side effect (for me): the Ethernet interface on the Annex has an
IP address which is directly on the JPL backbone network.  By having the
same IP address on it's SLIP link, the Sun at the other end can have an
IP address on that interface which is also on the backbone.  With a simple
net route to the backbone net through it's SLIP interface, and a default
route with the Encore as the gateway, the remote Sun has no routing problems
whatsoever.  On the other hand, I have a dialup SLIP link to a Sun which also
sits on the JPL backbone; we are doing the conventional allocate-a-new-subnet-
with-2-hosts-on-it method.  So, not only is my IP address on a subnet instead
of the backbone, but it appears that the gateway's `gated', seeing that the
SLIP link to me is a point-to-point link, declares a host route to my
machine and proceeds to propagate that to the world (instead of a net route
to the SLIP subnet).  From what we've seen, boxes like the Proteon p4200
don't seem to grok this advertised host route, so I cannot reach any machines
that are behind such a gateway.  The machine I'm typing this on is such a
machine, and reaching it was one of the main raison d'etres for hooking up
the SLIP link in the first place!   *sigh* ...

Thus, if I could have the remote SLIP gateway host declare it's SLIP interface
to be the same IP address as it's address on the JPL backbone, then I could
do the same thing as the Encore-Sun combo and gain a backbone IP address as
well, and make these routing problems vanish (that is, if I could only fool
`gated' ... or use a fixed static route to the backbone net address).

Further enlightenment would be appreciated ...
--
	Greg Earle			earle@Sun.COM
	Sun Microsystems		earle@mahendo.JPL.NASA.GOV