[comp.dcom.lans] 3c501 vs. transceivers

Apologies if this has come up before, but until quite recently I didn't
have reason to care...  For involved reasons, we've got a 3Com 3c501 PC
Ethernet interface on our hands.  It checks out fine using the built-in
transceiver for hookup to thin Ethernet.  When we try to hook it up to
an external transceiver, however, no go:  the diagnostic program complains
of being unable to transmit due to collisions.  This happens with two
different transceiver types.  With an LED-equipped transceiver, as soon
as the PC is powered up the "receive" and "collision" lights go on solid.
Anybody seen this before?  Suggestions?
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <1989Apr15.211504.25886@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>... When we try to hook it up to an external transceiver, however, no go...

Oops, I should have elaborated on this:  there is a DIP plug inside which
has to be shifted from one position to another when changing from internal
to external transceiver.  We *have* done that.
--

ram@tslanpar.UUCP (ram) (04/17/89)

In article <1989Apr15.211504.25886@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> Apologies if this has come up before, but until quite recently I didn't
> have reason to care...  For involved reasons, we've got a 3Com 3c501 PC
> Ethernet interface on our hands.  It checks out fine using the built-in
> transceiver for hookup to thin Ethernet.  When we try to hook it up to
> an external transceiver, however, no go:  the diagnostic program complains
> of being unable to transmit due to collisions.  This happens with two
> different transceiver types.  With an LED-equipped transceiver, as soon
> as the PC is powered up the "receive" and "collision" lights go on solid.
> Anybody seen this before?  Suggestions?

I have seen this problem with ethernet cards I have set up before, although
I don't think I have ever used this card in particular.

With the cards I have used, there is a jumper or switch to specify which
connection you want to make (either direct into thinnet or using a drop
cable and tranceiver).  Check your card's manual to see if it has such a
switch/jumper and then check the jumper setting on the board.

Regards,
	Richard Meesters		"I disclaim, really I do!"
	Lanpar Technologies Inc.