[comp.dcom.lans] Using Print Screen with 3Com LANs

goldston@uncmed.med.unc.edu (04/07/89)

I am trying to print a screen to a printer attached to LPT1:.  The pc is
an IBM PS/2 Model 50 with an Etherlink/MC card installed.  If I boot up
with the 3Com network drivers installed, pressing <shift-PrtSc> doesn't
cause the current screen to be printed out.  I have tried using the com-
bination suggested in the 3Com user's guide, <Ctrl-Shift-PrtSc> but this
doesn't work either.

I am currently using version 1.2.1 of 3+Share for the network OS.  If any-
one has dealt with this problem and found a solution, please e-mail it to
goldston@med.unc.edu.  Thanks very much.
David F. Goldston                     Disclaimer:  All opinions expressed in
usenet:goldston@uncmed                         the above posting are my own.
internet:goldston@med.unc.edu         Phone:(919)966-1325

michaelm@vax.3Com.Com (Michael McNeil) (04/18/89)

In article <420@uncmed.med.unc.edu> goldston@uncmed.med.unc.edu
(David F. Goldston) writes:
>I am trying to print a screen to a printer attached to LPT1:.  The pc is
>an IBM PS/2 Model 50 with an Etherlink/MC card installed.  If I boot up
>with the 3Com network drivers installed, pressing <shift-PrtSc> doesn't
>cause the current screen to be printed out.  I have tried using the com-
>bination suggested in the 3Com user's guide, <Ctrl-Shift-PrtSc> but this
>doesn't work either.
>
>I am currently using version 1.2.1 of 3+Share for the network OS.  If
>anyone has dealt with this problem and found a solution, please e-mail
>it to goldston@med.unc.edu.  Thanks very much.

Your problem with shift-PrtSc is a feature, not a bug.  Use of the
shift-PrtSc key combination to print the display screen contents is
disallowed with 3Com's 3+ line of networking software in order to be
fully "compatible" with the IBM PC LAN program, which also disallows
use of shift-PrtSc in a networking environment.  As a result, PRO.SYS
takes over the interrupt 5 (shift-PrtSc) vector and makes it a no-op.

This is the default condition.  However, many people over the years
have requested the shift-PrtSc function, so some time ago 3Com wrote a
terminate-and-stay-resident program that supports it.  Known by various
names, most notably as sprtsc.com (note: this is *not* the prtsc.exe
program that accompanies 3+), it is available on 3Com's Compuserve
"Ask3Com" bulletin board (which requires a user account with 3Com to
access), and I think it's also available on the "Cheeseboard" bulletin
board that 3Com's Customer Support Organization maintains for users to
access generally, and which doesn't require a prior account to access.

As far as the "Ctrl-Shift-PrtSc" key combination is concerned, which
you say is mentioned in the 3Com user's guide, I must assume you are
referring to the Ctrl-Alt-PrtSc key combination (as 3Com doesn't make
any use of Ctrl-Shift-PrtSc).  Ctrl-Alt-PrtSc, however, has an entirely
different function from shift-PrtSc.  Rather than printing the contents
of the display screen, as shift-PrtSc does, Ctrl-Alt-PrtSc causes all
text being gathered at the printer spool device (from an application
which has been sending stuff to the printer) to stop accumulating and
begin printing.  Any later printing goes into a separate spool file.
(Note: the Ctrl-Alt-PrtSc functionality is supported by prtsc.exe.)

--
Michael McNeil			michaelm@3comvax.UUCP
3Com Corporation		hplabs!oliveb!3comvax!michaelm

}
}This is the default condition.  However, many people over the years
}have requested the shift-PrtSc function, so some time ago 3Com wrote a
}terminate-and-stay-resident program that supports it.  Known by various
}names, most notably as sprtsc.com (note: this is *not* the prtsc.exe
}program that accompanies 3+), it is available on 3Com's Compuserve
}"Ask3Com" bulletin board (which requires a user account with 3Com to
}access), and I think it's also available on the "Cheeseboard" bulletin
}board that 3Com's Customer Support Organization maintains for users to
}access generally, and which doesn't require a prior account to access.

Whoops -- I've learned that the "Cheeseboard" BBS has ceased to exist.
However, persons who have a Compuserve account in the "70000" range
can access a portion of Ask3Com with the "go askforum" command.  The
sprtsc.com program should be accessible and downloadable from there.

--

dale@cs.odu.edu (Dale Ross Maurice) (04/18/89)

(David F. Goldston) writes:
>I am trying to print a screen to a printer attached to LPT1:.  The pc is
>an IBM PS/2 Model 50 with an Etherlink/MC card installed.  If I boot up
>with the 3Com network drivers installed, pressing <shift-PrtSc> doesn't
>cause the current screen to be printed out.  I have tried using the com-
>bination suggested in the 3Com user's guide, <Ctrl-Shift-PrtSc> but this
>doesn't work either.

This may not be the safest way, but it has worked for us on 80+ computers
for a year now.  Simply reset the printscreen vector to it's original
value!  First boot up without the 3Com drivers then you need two one or
two line programs in a language of your choice (I used Turbo Pascal).
Then find where the printscreen vector points to, use this value in the
second program which will simply set the printscreen vector to point
to where it should.

Note that this is used in student labs with many types of software and
we've encountered no problems at all with this.

	dale
--
Dale Ross Maurice           |  dale@xanth.cs.odu.edu  dale@cs.odu.edu
Old Dominion University     |  dale@xanth.uucp        [128.82.8.1]