[comp.dcom.lans] Request For Opinions: FDDI follow-up

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (04/14/89)

In article <825@oregon.uoregon.edu> dsmith@oregon.uoregon.edu
 (Dale Smith) writes:
>FDDI has an 11dB loss budget.  If you want to survive a failed
>station that has gone into bypass, then you need to figure you'll lose
>4dB through the bypassed station, giving you 7dB.  But, you have to spit
>the 7dB between runs on each side of the failed station, giving you a
>3.5dB budget between any two stations.  Figuring 1dB per inactive

	Now this is interesting.  This is the second person I've heard
talk about optical bypass and FDDI.  I don't understand why you want
or need optical bypass for FDDI.

	With the dual counter-rotating ring you have the secondary
ring in standby in case of node failure.  If a node on the ring fails,
then the adjacent nodes "wrap" and use the primary and secondary paths
to create a new ring that bypasses the failed node.

	Why do you want optical bypass fault tolerance as well?

vjs@rhyolite.SGI.COM (Vernon Schryver) (04/14/89)

In article <29548@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) writes:
> 	With the dual counter-rotating ring you have the secondary
> ring in standby in case of node failure.  If a node on the ring fails,
> then the adjacent nodes "wrap" and use the primary and secondary paths
> to create a new ring that bypasses the failed node.

Without an optical bypass, how do you survive > 1 fault?  If you have a
nontrivial number of stations on the ring (i.e. hundreds), you are certain
to have > 1 broken computer.  (Take a reasonable MTBF, and remember the
birthday paradox.)

Yes, an optical bypass is expensive.  So are FDDI transcievers, chipsets,
and so on.  If you are playing with FDDI, you don't care about $, at least
not for a while.  Since the vast majority of individual pairs or "work
groups" of computers running operating systems released in Q1 1989 are
unable to eat an entire ethernet, you are using FDDI for reasons other than
simple, end-to-end performance, but that's another paradox.

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com

goodloe@ingr.com (Tony Goodloe) (04/15/89)

In article <29548@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) writes:
> 	Now this is interesting.  This is the second person I've heard
> talk about optical bypass and FDDI.  I don't understand why you want
> or need optical bypass for FDDI.
>
> 	With the dual counter-rotating ring you have the secondary
> ring in standby in case of node failure.
>
> 	Why do you want optical bypass fault tolerance as well?

With an optical bypass you won't need to do something as drastic as
wrapping the ring for something as minor as, say, a powered-down
station. Also, with bypass and wrapping you could sustain two faults,
for example, a dead node and a cable break, and still be operating
hunky-dory (sp?). We were asking ourselves this same question several
weeks ago, and have convinced myself that bypasses should be on all
stations. My $.02.

Tony Goodloe

bobk@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bob Kinne) (04/15/89)

In article <29548@bu-cs.BU.EDU> kwe@buit13.bu.edu (Kent England) writes:
>	With the dual counter-rotating ring you have the secondary
>ring in standby in case of node failure.  If a node on the ring fails,
>then the adjacent nodes "wrap" and use the primary and secondary paths
>to create a new ring that bypasses the failed node.
>
>	Why do you want optical bypass fault tolerance as well?

The purpose of the dual ring is to recover from a cut or damaged
connection between nodes.  If a node fails or powers down, the
optical bypass permits the ring to continue to function in normal,
non-wrap mode, bypassing the failed or removed station.  Any ring
architecture needs to provide this bypass functionality.  In some
architectures the bypass may be initiated remotely from a ring
master in the event the node fails in a manner that disrupts the
network.

dsmith@oregon.uoregon.edu (Dale Smith) (04/15/89)

In article <29548@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) writes:
> In article <825@oregon.uoregon.edu> dsmith@oregon.uoregon.edu  (Dale Smith) writes:
>>FDDI has an 11dB loss budget.  If you want to survive a failed
>>station that has gone into bypass, then you need to figure you'll lose
>>4dB through the bypassed station, giving you 7dB.  But, you have to spit
>>the 7dB between runs on each side of the failed station, giving you a
>>3.5dB budget between any two stations.  Figuring 1dB per inactive
>
> 	Now this is interesting.  This is the second person I've heard
> talk about optical bypass and FDDI.  I don't understand why you want
> or need optical bypass for FDDI.
>
> 	With the dual counter-rotating ring you have the secondary
> ring in standby in case of node failure.  If a node on the ring fails,
> then the adjacent nodes "wrap" and use the primary and secondary paths
> to create a new ring that bypasses the failed node.
>
> 	Why do you want optical bypass fault tolerance as well?

A basic issue in ring design is that of fault tolerance and reliability.
There are two basic techniques used in FDDI for a ring to survive a
station failure.  The first, and most desirable, technique is that of
bypass.  If a station detects that it is no longer functioning properly
or if it loses power, it should go into bypass.  This means that the
ring does not reconfigure, but rather that the node is no longer
receiving and retransmitting the optical signals.  If the station fails
and this failure is not detected internally, then the ring must be
reconfigured for it to survive.  In this case, the adjancent nodes
"wrap" to eliminate the failed station.  This "wrapping" is also the
technique used to survive a failed link.

As vjs@rhyolite.SGI.COM (Vernon Schryver) of Silicon Graphics points out
in article <30661@sgi.SGI.COM>, you must have bypass or you will never
be able to survive the loss of two or more stations.  This will become
extremely important when you start buying your SGI (or SUN or DEC)
workstations with an FDDI board rather than an ethernet board.  (How
would you like it if your ethernet died when two workstations were
powered off :-).)

Dale Smith			Internet: dsmith@oregon.uoregon.edu
University of Oregon		BITNET: dsmith@oregon.bitnet
Computing Center		UUCP: ...hp-pcd!uoregon!dsmith
Eugene, OR  97403-1212		Voice: (503)686-4394

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (04/16/89)

In article <867@oregon.uoregon.edu>
dsmith@oregon.uoregon.edu (Dale Smith) writes:

>There are two basic techniques used in FDDI for a ring to survive a
>station failure.  The first, and most desirable, technique is that of
>bypass.  If a station detects that it is no longer functioning properly
>or if it loses power, it should go into bypass.
>
>As vjs@rhyolite.SGI.COM (Vernon Schryver) of Silicon Graphics points out
>in article <30661@sgi.SGI.COM>, you must have bypass or you will never
>be able to survive the loss of two or more stations.  This will become
>extremely important when you start buying your SGI (or SUN or DEC)
>workstations with an FDDI board rather than an ethernet board.

	FDDI contains specs for ring concentrators, dual and single
ring modes, and the SMT (soon) to make all these options and modes work
together.  Sorry, I still don't think optical bypass is useful.
	I think the typical backbone will be dual ring with wrap mode
as the dominant fault tolerance approach.  You might convince me that
optical bypass would be useful here, but in my two years' experience
with Pronet-80 I don't miss optical bypass.  I haven't heard anyone
else with Pronet-80 asking for bypass.
	I think the typical workstation ring will be single ring,
because people can't afford and don't need dual ring on the
workstation nets.  Just like the IBM-PC token rings, the workstation
nets will be star wired and the concentrator will take stations in and
out of the ring, electrically I imagine.
	If the workstations have to have optical bypass to handle
faults that the concentrators don't handle (or if you don't use
concentrators), then how does FDDI deal with an unplugged optical
connector?  I don't think FDDI deals with optical bypass in the FDDI
connector.  You know, the IBM token ring shorts out when the station is
unplugged and a lot of people have found that to be troublesome.  But
that's simple compared to optical bypass in the FDDI connector.

goodloe@ingr.com (Tony Goodloe) (04/18/89)

In article <29650@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) writes:
> 	I think the typical workstation ring will be single ring,
> because people can't afford and don't need dual ring on the
> workstation nets.  Just like the IBM-PC token rings, the workstation
> nets will be star wired and the concentrator will take stations in and
> out of the ring, electrically I imagine.

I agree here, that if you have a single ring subnet coming off of a
concentrator, that you don't need bypass on those stations. Any comments
I made were thinking about a dual-attached station. Does anyone have any
figures based on data that would suggest what portion of stations will
be single-attached, and double-attached?

tony goodloe

vjs@rhyolite.SGI.COM (Vernon Schryver) (04/19/89)

In article <29650@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) writes:

> 	FDDI contains specs for ring concentrators, dual and single
> ring modes, and the SMT (soon) to make all these options and modes work
> together....

I thought single attach rings were declared illegal last year.  My
reading of section 6 of X3T9.5/84-49, Update 2-1-89, finds only
dual-attach A/B and and Master/Slave connections.

Notice that the new CMT diagrams have boxes labeled "optical bypass",
and that PC-Reset has words about when you should or should not
fiddle with your bypass.

If you have only a few stations on the ring, and they are well maintained
exemplars of mature products, then one clearly can avoid bypasses (e.g.
Proteon).  If you like single attach rings, how can you not like optical
bypasses?  With single attach, aren't bypasses absolutely required?

A lot of people talk about FDDI concentrators.  I can't make the $'s come
out in a way that makes concentrators plausible, assuming everything
is dual attach or M/S.  What am I missing?  Consider:

a concentrator on the dual ring and 5 slave stations:  I count a total of
 (12*big $)	12 transceivers (the concentrator has 2 on the ring, and
		    5 masters, while the 5 stations have 5 slaves)
  (cheap)	<= 6 MAC's
  (?)		one dual-attach optical bypass  (or two single-attach
		    bypasses), unless you don't by bypasses.
  (big $)	1 concentrator, with at least enough smarts, power supply,
			etc. to do things like PC-Reset
  --		5 workstations, each with SMT, OSI, NFS, and maybe a real
		    application if it is small

5 stations on the ring:  I count
 (10*big $)	10 transceivers
 (cheap)	5 to 10 MAC's.
 (5*?)		5 dual-attach optical bypass  (or 10 single-attach bypasses)
  --		5 workstations, each with SMT, ...

No matter how deep the tree, there are always > 2 pairs of transceivers per
station if you use concentrators, but exactly 2 pairs if you get on the
ring.  MAC's are (or will be) cheap.  As I understand things, it is the
transceivers that are not coming down in price.  If you don't believe in
bypasses, putting everything on the dual ring looks cheaper.

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com

rpw3@amdcad.AMD.COM (Rob Warnock) (04/19/89)

In article <30878@sgi.SGI.COM> vjs@rhyolite.SGI.COM (Vernon Schryver) writes:
+---------------
| No matter how deep the tree, there are always > 2 pairs of transceivers per
| station if you use concentrators, but exactly 2 pairs if you get on the
| ring.  MAC's are (or will be) cheap.  As I understand things, it is the
| transceivers that are not coming down in price.  If you don't believe in
| bypasses, putting everything on the dual ring looks cheaper.
| Vernon Schryver | Silicon Graphics | vjs@sgi.com
+---------------

This is quite true... if you believe that you *have* to use the
expensive transceivers (optics) for your Master/Slave connections.
The fact is, there are order-of-magnitude cheaper optics currently
available that will cheerfully do "FDDI" (in quotes 'cause if's not
"real" FDDI then they probably don't like you to call it FDDI), but
at 820 nanometers and "only" up to 700 meters or so (instead of 2 km).
So I venture to say that some workstation manufacturer might decide
to introduce "cheaper-FDDI", with concentrators that have "real" FDDI
on the backbone and "cheaper-FDDI" to the single-attach stations.

And you can even do cheaper still: Noticing that, as Vernon points out,
concentrators already have to have a *lot* of smarts in them, why not
make the concentrator really be a multi-port bridge instead, and run
something *really* cheap between the bridge and the workstations --
that is, a non-FDDI protocol [that still uses FDDI addressing, &c.].

I've been playing around lately with some designs for a super-simple
"external serial backplane" based on point-to-point links [a fiber
pair is a easier to handle than a SCSI cable, and a lot faster] using,
for example, AMD's "TAXI" chips with (say) an H-P plastic-package
125 Mbaud fiber link. Parts cost to get a full-duplex 100 Mbit/sec
"UART"-like interface is less than than $100 in volume ($40 + $43 + glue).
Some packet buffer SRAM, some counters, and some PALs would bring that
up to, say, a total of $150-200. [Yeah, cost, not retail. But that's
still about one-tenth the parts cost of FDDI.]

Now I was looking to make multi-master I/O "busses" ("Cheap-O-Bus"?)
out of this stuff, with simple star repeater hubs [and CSMA/CD, which
limits it to about 250 meters diameter, to reduce collisions], but
the same hardware and bus protocol could be used to make a link from
a workstation to an FDDI bridge. In fact, if you already had such
a fiber I/O bus, an FDDI bridge is just another "shared peripheral".

In that configuration, the economics shift considerably back towards
using a hub/bridge/concentrator, and to using FDDI for a "backbone",
where its extreme reliability features (SMT/CMT/etc.) and optical
bypasses have a clear need.

Besides, just like people sometimes use Ethernet transceiver multi-
plexers [DEC "DELNI", and equiv.] to make standalone "networks" that
have no yellow trunk cable, just so could a multi-master "external
serial backplane" be used as a limited-distance [250m diameter] LAN.

[Disclosure/disclaimer: While I am a sometime consultant to AMD, the
mention of specific AMD or H-P products above was just to show that
cheap 100Mb/s links *can* be made today (I've seen 'em run). There are
sure to be other vendors and other ways to do it -- it's "steamboat time".]

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	  {amdcad,fortune,sun}!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	  (415)572-2607
USPS:	  627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403