[comp.dcom.lans] Novell to TCP/IP bridges -- theory

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (04/21/89)

In article <1989Apr19.112301.22275@ateng.ateng.com>, chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> Thanks to many people responding to an earlier query, I am aware of several
> Novell to TCP/IP bridges.  Vendors include Excelan, Wollongong and
> Micom/Interlan.

What TWG actually does is encapsulate IP datagrams in NETBIOS datagrams.
With Netware, these are then encapsulated in IPX datagrams, and sent to
the router.  The TWG PC has an IP address, but the IPX has to be there.

What Excelan does is send the IP datagram direct to the destination in normal
Ethernet encapsulation.  They have an interface-sharing mechanism similar to
the Packet Driver, and don't really use IPX at all.  The PC has an IP address,
just like with PC/TCP, NCSA, PC-IP or KA9Q when sharing the hardware with
Netware via a Packet Driver.

InterLAN actually uses whatever the IPX "stream" protocol is called to make
a connection to the server, which performs a gateway function and out the
other side sends Telnet or FTP.  I don't think the PC has an IP address in
this case, so it sounds like the one you want to investigate.
--
James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901