[comp.dcom.lans] IBM Token Ring support for XENIX

ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) (04/22/89)

The organization I work for currently runs a number of applications on
Compaq 386/20's under DOS 3.31. It has become painfully obvious that
it is no longer practical to use DOS, primarily because of the 640K
memory limit. Since we also run other applications on UNIX based systems
like the RT and Suns, the decision was made to go to SCO XENIX on
the PC's. I have been told that one of the major holdups in this
process is mainframe connectivity - currently these systems get
all their data feed from an IBM mainframe using the IBM Token Ring and
3270 emulation/file transfer. Can anyone suggest a package that will run
under SCO XENIX and provide this sort of connectivity???  I just can't
belive that we are the only ones to have this problem.
    Thanks!!
       Scott Denham
         Houston TX

eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) (04/22/89)

In article <3734@sugar.hackercorp.com> ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) writes:

> -[said he needs IBM Token Ring 3270 file x-fer ]-
>Can anyone suggest a package that will run
>under SCO XENIX and provide this sort of connectivity???  I just can't
>belive that we are the only ones to have this problem.

I have had similar post on comp.sys.i386 for about a week.

Interlan makes a TCP/IP to Novell Bridge that runs in the
Novell fileserver. Xenix - TCP/IP - Ethernet comes in one side and Novell - IPX
- Token Ring come out the other. I don't know what you'd do for 3270
file transfers though. We're trying to put an Oracle/Xenix Database
Server on a Novell LAN, which gateways to a 3090 Mainframe.

Dewey Paciaffi