[comp.dcom.lans] 3Com's 3+Share v.1.3.1 ?s

goldston@uncmed.med.unc.edu (04/26/89)

I recently received the upgrade from 3+Share v.1.2.1 to 3+Share v.1.3.1.  I
heard a rumor several months ago that the latest version (1.3.1) would sup-
port multiple name servers on the same network.  Is this true?  Has anyone
tried it?  How well did it work?  Thanks.
David F. Goldston                     Disclaimer:  All opinions expressed in
usenet:goldston@uncmed                         the above posting are my own.
internet:goldston@med.unc.edu         Phone:(919)966-1325

morgan@Jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) (04/28/89)

In article <425@uncmed.med.unc.edu> goldston@uncmed.med.unc.edu () writes:

>I recently received the upgrade from 3+Share v.1.2.1 to 3+Share v.1.3.1.  I
>heard a rumor several months ago that the latest version (1.3.1) would sup-
>port multiple name servers on the same network.  Is this true?  Has anyone
>tried it?  How well did it work?  Thanks.

As far as I know this is *not* true.  We've been bugging 3Com for
quite a while to give us this capability, and it's always too
expensive or too much trouble or there's a new version coming or ...
I know they did this for Hughes in Southern Calif initially, so 3Plus
could be used on their very extended LAN, but it seems that they
(3Com) really don't want anyone else to have it.  My impression is
that they want to use this as a ploy to encourage people to move to
3+open, since it presumably will not have this limitation.  (My
impression is that the current 3+open doesn't use a Name service at
all but a PC-LAN-style distributed naming scheme.)

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

jeff@nucleus.UUCP (Jeff Marraccini) (04/28/89)

>In article <425@uncmed.med.unc.edu> goldston@uncmed.med.unc.edu () writes:
>
>I recently received the upgrade from 3+Share v.1.2.1 to 3+Share v.1.3.1.  I
>heard a rumor several months ago that the latest version (1.3.1) would sup-
>port multiple name servers on the same network.  Is this true?  Has anyone
>tried it?  How well did it work?  Thanks.

I am using 1.3.1 at work.  I can say that two nameservers on the network
still causes problems.  3Com doesn't seem to be interested in providing
multi-nameserver capability; I was told that 3+Open eliminates the problem :-)

BTW, 1.3.1 seems to be more stable than the earlier releases.  3+Backup
doesn't randomly hang on the 3server3 any more, and the new release
really is fast on the new 3Server386 servers.

Jeff
--
    Jeff Marraccini  jeff@nucleus.UUCP  ...!<internet>!sharkey!nucleus!jeff
       nucleus: Public access Unix, 313/623-6309, 1200/2400bps, no fee