[comp.dcom.lans] Telnet problems with Bridge CS/1's

jgm@kokab.cc.deakin.OZ (John Moorfoot) (04/26/89)

We have Bridge CS/1's and CS/200's running s/w version 20000 into
Suns running SUNOS 4.0. The telnet client on the Bridge boxes
passes a <CR><NUL> string (which is produced by the Suns as per
the telnet protocol spec) to the terminal as is (i.e. without
stripping the <NUL>). This upsets terminals which may use \015 as
part of their cursor address sequence.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Is there a fix for it? The
Australian agents are mainly into XNS, and do not seem to
understand the problem.

John Moorfoot 		ARPA:	jgm%charlie.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
			UUCP:	...!uunet!munnari!charlie.oz!jgm

dan@ccnysci.UUCP (Dan Schlitt) (05/01/89)

:
:Has anyone else seen this problem? Is there a fix for it? The
:Australian agents are mainly into XNS, and do not seem to
:understand the problem.
:
:John Moorfoot 		ARPA:	jgm%charlie.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
:			UUCP:	...!uunet!munnari!charlie.oz!jgm

We also have problems with Bridge telnet handling of <CR><NUL>.
On some versions of their software it is broken.  They know about it
but refuse to supply fixed software.  More recent versions are capable
of doing the "right thing".  It is configurable in case you want to do
the wrong thing.

--
Dan Schlitt                        Manager, Science Division Computer Facility
dan@ccnysci                        City College of New York

sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (05/04/89)

In article <1805@ccnysci.UUCP> dan@ccnysci.UUCP (Dan Schlitt) writes:
>We also have problems with Bridge telnet handling of <CR><NUL>.
>On some versions of their software it is broken.  They know about it
>but refuse to supply fixed software.  More recent versions are capable
>of doing the "right thing".  It is configurable in case you want to do
>the wrong thing.

This is a confusing paragraph. 3com has fixed the problem, but refuse to
supply the software. Is that the point? Perhaps you don't have a service
contract. They are reasonable good about suppling updates if you are on
a service contract.

Most companies will not just give software away (check out Sun's dot-dot
releases), but they will give it to service-contracted sites and usually
sell it to others.

Is this not your experience?

>--
>Dan Schlitt                        Manager, Science Division Computer Facility
>dan@ccnysci                        City College of New York
>dan@ccnysci.bitnet                 New York, NY 10031
>                                   (212)690-6868

Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Baylor College of Medicine
Olan           uucp: {rice,killer,hoptoad}!academ!sob
Barber         Opinions expressed are only mine.