[comp.dcom.lans] Which LAN to share local printers?

f0057@uafhp.uucp (shadow) (05/03/89)

Help!

We are currently running a Novell 286 file server with AST-RSN network cards
in the stations.  The software we are using is Netware 286 2.0A++ which does
not allow the sharing of printers other than those attached directly attached
to the server.  We want to install four new PCs on the network and have them
be able to share an HP Laserjet.  The best third-party software for our current
set-up I've seen is Hot Print's spooler, but we'd rather not have to dedicate
any one PC to the job.

Banyan literature appears to address the problem, but I am not sure.  It also
appears that NetWare 386 will handle this problem, but we don't want to wait
that long?  If we did decide to go to Banyan, would we have to replace much
in the way of hardware?  Is there anything out there that can do the trick
better than Hot Print?  Please send replies to me if possible, and I will try
to scan this newsgroup if time permits.

Thanks a heap in the present for future returns,

James Ward
Hudson Foods
f0057@uafhp.uucp

(Use return address on article?  (I'm new to this, as you can probably tell))

ram@tslanpar.UUCP (R. Meesters, Tech Support, Lanpar Toronto Ontario Canada) (05/05/89)

In article <2335@cveg.uucp>, f0057@uafhp.uucp (shadow) writes:

> Help!
>
> We are currently running a Novell 286 file server with AST-RSN network cards
> in the stations.  The software we are using is Netware 286 2.0A++ which does
> not allow the sharing of printers other than those attached directly attached
> to the server.  We want to install four new PCs on the network and have them
> be able to share an HP Laserjet.  The best third-party software for our current
> set-up I've seen is Hot Print's spooler, but we'd rather not have to dedicate
> any one PC to the job.
>
> Banyan literature appears to address the problem, but I am not sure.  It also
> appears that NetWare 386 will handle this problem, but we don't want to wait
> that long?  If we did decide to go to Banyan, would we have to replace much
> in the way of hardware?  Is there anything out there that can do the trick
> better than Hot Print?  Please send replies to me if possible, and I will try
> to scan this newsgroup if time permits.

Banyan Systems file servers allow a function called PC-Print.  PC-Print allows
you to set a printer connected to any workstation on the network up as a
network printer.  The print jobs run in the background allowing the user
to run applications as well (But the machine must be logged on to the net and
running the pcprint program).  The system works well, but can create problems
with applications that require lots of memory (PC-Print software remains
memory resident).

In terms of replacement of hardware, it depends on what you are using.  Banyan
Vines is available for 286 and 386 machines, as well as their own proprietary
file servers.  I'm not familliar with the AST network cards.

Hope this helps.

	Richard Meesters		|
	Lanpar Technologies Inc.	|	"Calling YOU stupid would
	Toronto, Ontario		|	be an insult to stupid people"
	...attcan!nebulus!tslanpar!ram	|	   - A Fish Called Wanda

steve@jhereg.Jhereg.MN.ORG (Steve Peterson) (05/05/89)

If you upgrade your Novell system to version 2.15, you could purchase
LanSpool from Lan Systems.  They're at (212) 431-1255.
Steve Peterson                                INTERNET: steve@jhereg.mn.org
FOURTH SHIFT Corporation                            Compuserve [72220,2773]

smq@maxx.NBI.COM (Steve Quincy) (05/08/89)

The Banyan remote print option allows any PC connected to the network to
share a locally attached printer as a network printer.  This does not require
that the PC be dedicated as a print server.  The option is available now
and works quite well with minimal effort involved in the setup.  One command
from DOS will configure the PC printer and it will remain functional until the
PC is powered off.

As far a hardware goes of the 25+ interface boards supported by the Banyan I
do not see the AST on the list.

Banyan supplies Vines software for a 386 and 286 platform as well as offering
dedicated servers if your environment requires a heavy load.  Vines software
is extremely easy to use and administration is a breeze.