[comp.dcom.lans] Thin Ethernet connections specs

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (05/08/89)

In article <3563@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>
anderer@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (David G Anderer) writes:

>What standards exist for the physical work of installing and testing
>Thin Ethernet cable?
>
>Here's the situation:  We've got cable that's been installed and terminated
>by several groups (both internal and external) in several buildings.  Some
>of the work is abysmal [...]
>
>Now I know that's not acceptable, but the people who did the work insist
>it's "good enough and meets specs".  Are there any sources that address
>these mechanical elements of the installation?
>--

	I don't think it helps to point to a book and say "You didn't
follow the book."  They could always say "Yes, we did."  Who wants to
play Perry Mason with a bunch of contractors?

	I would suggest the following:

	Make up your own standards for cable installation, formally if
you think you must.  I haven't felt that necessary, yet.

	Then tell those Depts that install their own that you don't do
diagnostics on their cable systems unless you have "certified" it and
fixed all those poor installs, for a price.  Of course, if you had it
installed, you fix it yourself.

	Tell any contractor that argues with you that they are off the
list of approved contractors.  Then go and make up a real approved
contractor list, including your installation standards and other misc
things like insurance and bonding.  Tell any contractor that wants a
job that they have to be approved and agree to the conditions and then
try them out on a small job with the understanding that they will get
more work if they continue to meet or exceed *your* standards.  I find
this approach to be very effective.

	The idea is:  Put yourself in the driver's seat.  If you pay
for installs or provide maintenance services, you are in a position of
strength.  Use it, politely, but forcefully.

	Kent England, Boston University