[comp.dcom.lans] Connecting Novell Servers

anderer@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (David G Anderer) (05/08/89)

We've got a number of Novell servers scattered around campus.  (They're
generic '286 and '386 boxes running SFT 2.10 thru 2.15).  We also have
extensive fiber being installed as a campus backbone running at 80 Mbit
using Proteons hardware.  (ProNET-80).  The supported protocol on this
network is IP.

How can we use this fiber backbone to connect our Novell servers in
a server-to-server fashion?  (Note, terminal-to-server isn't the question.)

Can server-to-server be done today over IP in the Novell world?  If not,
does Proteon sell an interface that supports IPX?  Are there other
ideas?
--
Dave Anderer
Academic Computing and Instructional Technology

gardner@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (05/09/89)

Proteon does sell IPX for their p4100 and p4200 routers.  It adds about
$1000 to the cost of each router.  Novell is moving toward IP connectivity -
beat on them even if you have to buy IPX in the short term.  We (University
of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) have the same situation, only we would have
to buy it for a lot of routers as we run 4 different Proteon rings.  IPX
on the backbone is our last resort.
mgg

tom@rsp.UUCP (Thomas Ruf) (05/09/89)

In article <3567@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, anderer@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (David G Anderer) writes:

> We've got a number of Novell servers scattered around campus.....
>  .... Can server-to-server be done today over IP in the Novell world?
> Dave Anderer
[VENDOR MODE ON]
Yes, it can be done. We recently introduced a product that does exactly -
i.e. it routes IPX over IP paths. If you want more information, please email.
[VENDOR MODE OFF]

Thomas
--

Thomas Ruf				Schneider & Koch GmbH
{uunet,mcvax}!unido!rsp!tom		West-Germany