[comp.dcom.lans] 3com ethernet s/w development

jeffery@jsheese.FIDONET.ORG (Jeff Sheese) (05/12/89)

I've asked this question of the local pseudo-3com wizard, and I am repeatedly
ignored.

Does anyone know of a 3com Ethernet programmer's reference guide?  If so, who
can I contact to order it?  I'd like to develop a few applications that will
allow a few of our standard applications to directly interface with 3com's
mail system.

For example, if someone on the 3com network has a serious problem with a
network application, I'd like them to be able to send a 'print screen' image
to me via 3com mail.

This is one of many features I'd like to add.  But before I can develop such
an application I need technical info on how to send or receive a 3com mail
message outside of the standard 3com mail program.

Please email all replies.  I'll summarize to the net.

--
Jeff Sheese - via FidoNet node 1:109/116
UUCP: ...!netsys!jsheese!jeffery

dale@hathor.cs.odu.edu (Dale Ross Maurice) (05/12/89)

In article <63.246A6BA0@jsheese.FIDONET.ORG> jeffery@jsheese.FIDONET.ORG (Jeff Sheese) writes:
>Does anyone know of a 3com Ethernet programmer's reference guide? If so, who
>can I contact to order it?  I'd like to develop a few applications that will
>allow a few of our standard applications to directly interface with 3com's
>mail system.

Are we talking about 3+Share?

Guide?  Ha, I don't think it exists.  I've tried ordering one (from 3com)
and got the Token Ring guide (whoopie).  When I finally got hold of someone
about it they told me 'Oh, we don't publish that anymore', this was someone
from 3com.  I think they are trying to get as many people on 3+Open and
forget about 3+Share Administrators/Users.

Look for a guide on NetBios, assuming you are using it.  All of my work
has been geared towards using it for administative things as well as mail,
a conference program, and a popup send/receive utility.  I have a number
of things I've written that work rather nicely.  All in all NetBios is ok
but at times a little flakey.

	dale

Dale Ross Maurice           |  dale@xanth.cs.odu.edu  dale@cs.odu.edu
Old Dominion University     |  dale@xanth.uucp        [128.82.8.1]