[comp.dcom.lans] FTP Software Inc & Novell

battle@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Rick) (05/13/89)

A funny thing happened on the way to FTP...

The sales literature from FTP Software, Inc. states that they are
"incompatible with versions of NetWare available from Novell".

A while ago I knew this was true because all TCP code could
not talk to the Ethernet controller when ANet3 was booted.  With
NetWare 2.15 and IPX I am able to run NCSA telnet 3270 with IPX
booted just fine.  Does that mean I can run PC/TCP V2.xx with
IPX booted also??????

Much hangs in the balance.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance...

Rick Battle

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (05/15/89)

In article <2031@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, battle@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Rick) writes:
> The sales literature from FTP Software, Inc. states that they are
> "incompatible with versions of NetWare available from Novell".

As of the last I knew, Novell had not included Kelly McDonald's of BYU's
Packet-Driver-compatible IPX in their distributions.  Thus, the only Packet
Driver versions of Netware were those available from OEMs, and the only
"fully compatible" Netware versions were those which had Packet Drivers or
some other vendor-specific interface sharing (e.g. BICC or Proteon).

> A while ago I knew this was true because all TCP code could
> not talk to the Ethernet controller when ANet3 was booted.  With
> NetWare 2.15 and IPX I am able to run NCSA telnet 3270 with IPX
> booted just fine.  Does that mean I can run PC/TCP V2.xx with
> IPX booted also??????

Whatever you've got (the BYU IPX, or an OEM version), if NCSA runs with
it, KA9Q, the Packet-Driver version of PC-IP, or PC/TCP part PC-210 should
also (although we have found some driver bugs where people didn't support
full-size 1514-byte packets).

--
James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901