A hearty thanks to all who responded!  What a group!

From: netsys!ames!CSO.3Mail.3Com.COM!Paul_Ferguson
To:   jeffery@jsheese.FIDONET.ORG
Date: Tue, 16 May 89 14:22 PDT

Jeffrey,

I received your message below, and thought that you might find this information

helpful.  3Com strives to provide tools for the software developer which allow

easy integration of applications in a network environment.  All of these
products are intended to be used on a DOS workstation on a 3+ network.

I'd like to describe several packages available from 3Com which provide access

to network services.  Included are the 3Com part number and price.  Any of
these products can be ordered from your 3Com reseller.  If you need information

about where to purchase these, call 1-800-NET-3Com.

First there is the 3+Mail Toolkit (3C2110, $1095), which allows you to send and

receive mail messages.  Although intended primarily for developing mail
gateways, it can be used for other applications which want to use the 3+Mail
system.

Another alternative is to program to NetBIOS.  Our workstation software
contains a full NetBIOS implementation.  By simply purchasing the NetBIOS
Programmer's Reference manual (3C2512, $50), the developer can take advantage
of NetBIOS for messaging between workstations.

As for a "3Com Ethernet Programmer's Manual", the closest thing is the
"Developer's Guide to Network Adapters" (3C576, $995), aimed primarily at
protocol driver programmers.  It includes technical documentation and software

for all 3Com Ethernet and Token Ring adapters.  Included are functional specs
for 3L (the MAC level software under 3+) and NDIS (for 3+Open).

Finally, there is the new 3+ Developer's Library (3CS670, $495), which
gives a programmer full access to 3+Name, 3+File, and 3+Print services.  It
allows the application programmer to incorporate functions such as logging in,

linking to network drives and printers, and full internetted name service
access.

Hope this helps.

/fergy
Article <63.246A6BA0@jsheese.FIDONET.ORG> Thu 21:58
Subject: 3com ethernet s/w development
From: jeffery@jsheese.FIDONET.ORG (Jeff Sheese @ JStek Enterprises - Frederick,

MD)
(24 lines)

I've asked this question of the local pseudo-3com wizard, and I am repeatedly
ignored.

Does anyone know of a 3com Ethernet programmer's reference guide?  If so, who
can I contact to order it?  I'd like to develop a few applications that will
allow a few of our standard applications to directly interface with 3com's
mail system.

For example, if someone on the 3com network has a serious problem with a
network application, I'd like them to be able to send a 'print screen' image
to me via 3com mail.

This is one of many features I'd like to add.  But before I can develop such
an application I need technical info on how to send or receive a 3com mail
message outside of the standard 3com mail program.
Please email all replies.  I'll summarize to the net.

--
Jeff Sheese - via FidoNet node 1:109/116
UUCP: ...!netsys!jsheese!jeffery
From: dale@hathor.cs.odu.edu (Dale Ross Maurice @ Old Dominion University,
Norfolk, Va.)

In article <63.246A6BA0@jsheese.FIDONET.ORG> jeffery@jsheese.FIDONET.ORG (Jeff

heese) writes:
>Does anyone know of a 3com Ethernet programmer's reference guide? If so, who
>can I contact to order it?  I'd like to develop a few applications that will
>allow a few of our standard applications to directly interface with 3com's
>mail system.

Are we talking about 3+Share?

Guide?  Ha, I don't think it exists.  I've tried ordering one (from 3com)
and got the Token Ring guide (whoopie).  When I finally got hold of someone
about it they told me 'Oh, we don't publish that anymore', this was someone
from 3com.  I think they are trying to get as many people on 3+Open and
forget about 3+Share Administrators/Users.

Look for a guide on NetBios, assuming you are using it.  All of my work
has been geared towards using it for administative things as well as mail,
a conference program, and a popup send/receive utility.  I have a number
of things I've written that work rather nicely.  All in all NetBios is ok
but at times a little flakey.

        dale

Dale Ross Maurice           |  dale@xanth.cs.odu.edu  dale@cs.odu.edu
Old Dominion University     |  dale@xanth.uucp        [128.82.8.1]