[comp.dcom.lans] Looking for Micom Rep, Fla

dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (Tom Dixon) (05/17/89)

I am interested in getting some information on a product called
Micom Interlan.  From what I understand, it is a pc board which
goes into a Novell server and gives TCP/IP access to all of the
novell clients.  Am I way off?  (email replys please, I don't read
alt.bozo ;-) )

But anyway, if you know who in the Tampa Bay area would handle
such a product, please email me their name and phone number.
Or better yet if you are a micom rep, call me or email or whatever.

Or if you have horror stories, reports, or any information about
this product, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Tom Dixon
Software Engineer, AT&T Paradyne.             uunet!pdn!dixon
(813) 530 8358

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (05/17/89)

In article <6100@pdn.paradyne.com>, dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (Tom Dixon) writes:
> I am interested in getting some information on a product called
> Micom Interlan.  From what I understand, it is a pc board which
> goes into a Novell server and gives TCP/IP access to all of the
> novell clients.

The company is Interlan (they were a division of MICOM for a while, then
went independent, and were just bought by Racal).  Their HQ is in Boxboro, MA.
The product is an Ethernet board and software for the Netware server.  It
gateways (high-level translation) between IPX protocols from the workstation
and TCP/IP to some other machine.  It supports Telnet and FTP from the
workstation, and incoming FTP to the server from other TCP/IP hosts.  A server
can handle 16 connections, but they do slow it down.  You have to supply your
own terminal emulator for the Telnet on the workstations.

This approach is fine if you don't mind the limit of 16 connections, or the
TCP/IP is satisfactory (it didn't support domain naming last I knew, and
required manual route-add commands for each off-subnet host), or you only need
the applications they supply.  This approach is required if your Novell
network uses Omninet or something else that IP isn't widely used on.

Another aproach is to modify the Netware on the workstation to support sharing
the network interface with other protocol stacks, and letting the TCP/IP run
on the workstation itself.  Our PC/TCP and Excelan's EXOS205 products get
their Netware compatibility this way.  This is faster, and doesn't add any
load to the server (the packets go straight to the TCP/IP destination), and
you get a wider range of TCP/IP applications.  It does require that the LAN
be something that IP is widely used on, like Ethernet, Starlan or 802.5.

A third approach was implemented by Wollongong, where they encapsulate IP
datagrams in NETBIOS datagrams, and send them from the workstation to a
dedicated PC-based IP router that forwards them as normal IP packets.  This
works on any network and doesn't load the server, but it requires a dedicated
PC, and will be slower than the direct connection.
--
James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901