[comp.dcom.lans] Novell vs. Banyan

oliveau@valhalla.cs.ucla.edu (05/22/89)

It's pretty hard to get straight answers from LAN vendors, so I thought
this group might help.  What are the relative merits of Banyan and
Novell?  What are the good and bad points of each?  My company's needs
are to connect 16+ 386 machines (PS/2 and others) together for FAST
data transfer.  A central file server is not really desired, but the
ability to "login" to another person's computer and grab or send
data from/to it are important.  All of the other standard LAN exuses
(printer sharing, etc) are there too.  Most vendors give examples of
their nets in document-type environments, but not in major software
development environments (like mine).

We also want to get our customers (airlines) hooked up somehow -
I know Banyan has a global naming scheme, but is that really that
important?

Please send replies to the newsgroup, or to me directly.  Or call
me at (213) 820-4616 x7788.

Thanks in advance,

			Greg.

ciriello@lafcol.UUCP (Patrick Ciriello II) (05/23/89)

In article <24145@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, oliveau@valhalla.cs.ucla.edu writes:
> It's pretty hard to get straight answers from LAN vendors, so I thought
> this group might help.  What are the relative merits of Banyan and
> Novell?  What are the good and bad points of each?

> Please send replies to the newsgroup, or to me directly.  Or call
> me at (213) 820-4616 x7788.

This month's PC-World had a very good analysis of the Major LAN
packages, including Novell, Banyan, IBM, and a few others.

Based on the size of you network, you probably don't need VINES ..
Novell or 3+Open should do fine.  Check out the article .. it is very
good.

Pat Ciriello II (Network Administrator, Lafayette College)