[comp.dcom.lans] Novell -- Disk storage requirements

We are in the process of evaluating Novell and others for a network.

The problem I'm having right now is that Novell won't tell me what their
requirements are for disk controllers and drives!  This question came about
because their earlier releases (2.0a) required that your BIOS have an EXACT
entry for the disk drive type you wished to use.  The reason for this
requirement was that they would go directly to the ROM BIOS looking for the
drive parameters -- in violation of IBMs guidelines for determining disk
geometry (IBM recommends that you look at the DPT after boot; Novell ignored
this recommendation and went directly to the CMOS and ROM tables).

I wish to use Novell with an ESDI controller and drive.  These controllers
build a disk parameter block during the POST sequence, effectively
"overriding" the disk type set in the ROM (you set the ROM type to "1" in
all cases).  For example, you may end up with a "virtual" disk configuration
of 630 cylinders, 15 heads, and 63 sectors per track.  The controllers are
register compatible with the WD1003 (specifically, a WD1007A-WA2 with
Maxstor XT4380E drive).

Will Novell V2.15 (Advanced netware and SFT netware) run under these
circumstances?  Or am I still screwed?

Note:  	I am NOT IMPRESSED with Novell.  They refused to answer this question
	unless we would cough up $50 per QUARTER HOUR for their technician's
	time!  All they would tell me is that "the drive you wish to use is
	not specifically listed as supported", and told me to go talk to
	Storage Dimensions.  Storage Dimensions has the drives all right,
	but they're 50-100% over market price.  Not nice when you want to
	put together a system with FIVE fileservers!

	I greatly dislike dealing with any company that either can't or
	won't answer your simple compatibility questions before you make
	your purchase, and wants $200 per hour to answer them after the
	sale!  Hell, I could buy a high-priced lawyer for less money!  It
	seems as though Novell deserves to lose this sale (and it's a
	sizable one).

	Answers are appreciated.  Please email or post.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

wdw@aucs.UUCP (Bill Wilder) (05/25/89)

:
:I wish to use Novell with an ESDI controller and drive.  These controllers
:build a disk parameter block during the POST sequence, effectively
:"overriding" the disk type set in the ROM (you set the ROM type to "1" in
:all cases).  For example, you may end up with a "virtual" disk configuration
:of 630 cylinders, 15 heads, and 63 sectors per track.  The controllers are
:register compatible with the WD1003 (specifically, a WD1007A-WA2 with
:Maxstor XT4380E drive).
:
:Will Novell V2.15 (Advanced netware and SFT netware) run under these
:circumstances?  Or am I still screwed?

We use WD1007A-WA2 controllers with Micropolis 1558 drives on SFT Netware
2.11 through SFT 2.15 with no problems.
--
BITNET/Internet:  WDW@AcadiaU.CA   (for hosts that understand .CA domain)
UUCP:             {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!wdw

george@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Stephanie George) (05/26/89)

In article <3510@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

>I wish to use Novell with an ESDI controller and drive.  These controllers
>build a disk parameter block during the POST sequence, effectively
>"overriding" the disk type set in the ROM (you set the ROM type to "1" in
>all cases).  For example, you may end up with a "virtual" disk configuration
>of 630 cylinders, 15 heads, and 63 sectors per track.  The controllers are
>register compatible with the WD1003 (specifically, a WD1007A-WA2 with
>Maxstor XT4380E drive).
>
>Will Novell V2.15 (Advanced netware and SFT netware) run under these
>circumstances?  Or am I still screwed?
>--
>Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)

Yes, it will work, eventually, sort of.  I have a WD1007A-WA2-F001 with a
Priam 638 300Mb ESDI drive and am running Netware 286 2.12 with no problems
yet.  Getting there was no piece of cake, though.

First, make sure that the ROMs on your WD-1007 are NOT: 62-002069-030 on the
(40 pin) 8757 and 62-000217-031 on the 2764.  These numbers are on stickers on
the chips (which, you hope, are socketed).  I got some upgraded ROMs from a
Novell reseller who knew a guy who worked for Western Digital, so I can't say
how anyone else might get upgraded ROMs.  Calling WD tech support is usually
a good place to start.  The numbers I have that DO work are: 62-002069-802 on
the 8757 and 62-000217-802 on the 2764.  (The number that I have for WD tech
support is 800-777-4787 in Irvine, CA.)  Also make sure that sector translation
is ENABLED (jumper W14 open).

Second, after assembling the controllers, disks and computers, boot with DOS,
run DEBUG and execute the WDFMT format program from ROM by typing "g=c800:5".
If your disk has more than 1024 cylinders, you must use 63 SPT (sectors per
track) when you set the type of the disk.  Otherwise use the ESDI standard of
34 SPT.  Do the surface analysis and low level format from ROM (this takes
a while).  This is the only surface analysis you will do, so let it take as
long as necessary.

Third, use the Novell COMPSURF only to format the drive for Novell.  DO NOT
let COMPSURF do its own surface analysis.  It will go ok for a while and then
when you're not looking will mysteriously choke.  Cross your fingers, do
whatever is needed to apease your favorite deity and install the Novell NOS.
And you're on your way to a happy network.  MAKE FREQUENT BACKUPS just in case
(good advice in any case).

It's worked for me for about 4 months now with nary a problem, but there were
a few times that I was really sweating it out (like the times I thought I had
a perfectly useless $2300 300Mb disk...).

Good luck!

Stephanie George
george@beach.cis.ufl.edu