[comp.dcom.lans] RG58 C/U vs ThinWire Ethernet?

ragge@nada.kth.se (Ragnar Sundblad) (05/14/89)

I have so far had several kilometers of RG58 C/U been installed at my
department and surroundings. We have made TDR's (looking as beautiful
as I can which), run network benchmarks (showing no problems at all),
etc on these installations, and have had absolutely no problems.  I
have until now not even considered bying the more expensive ThinWire
cable that some vendors provide. (I personally think it would be
easier to get it shorted, since the inner foil normally would not be
cut of where the threads would be, but at the end of the PE filling,
almost where the centerleader pin to the BNC starts. A small lose
thread somewhere in there would probably not be to fun, maybe creating
intermittent hard-to-find problems.)

Now people that usually know something of what they are talking about,
although they are sellers (not of the cable), have told me that it is
not recommendable to build long (100<l<185m) networks with RG58, I
should use this ThinWire cable instead if I don't want to get problems
when there are many nodes connected.

What are your experience? Is there anything in this statement?

(I mentioned this to a cable seller. He told me that "it had something
to do with the timing" (RG58 = ~0.66c, ThinWire = ~0.80c).  As long
as I don't run at the timing margins, I don't give very much for
that (perhapse I could get 0.000001 times better performance :-).)

Ragnar Sundblad, Systems engineer
ragge@nada.kth.se

root@helios.toronto.edu (Operator) (05/16/89)

In article <1026@draken.nada.kth.se> ragge@nada.kth.se (Ragnar Sundblad) writes:

>Now people that usually know something of what they are talking about,
>although they are sellers (not of the cable), have told me that it is
>not recommendable to build long (100<l<185m) networks with RG58, I
>should use this ThinWire cable instead if I don't want to get problems
>when there are many nodes connected.
>
>(I mentioned this to a cable seller. He told me that "it had something
>to do with the timing" (RG58 = ~0.66c, ThinWire = ~0.80c).  As long
>as I don't run at the timing margins, I don't give very much for
>that (perhapse I could get 0.000001 times better performance :-).)

We use RG58U for all our thinwire Ethernet segments, and have had no
trouble with it (actually, I was under the impression that RG58 was the
cable that ThinWire, i.e. 10BASE2, was actually spec'd around). There are
up to 20 connections on some of them, which is 2/3 of the maximum
in the specs, and the length ranges from about 75m-185m. The error rate
is about .01% (i.e. 1 in 10000), although it's hard to tell what proportion
of those errors are due to various factors such as interfaces dropping
packets, systems putting out garbage, etc. etc. Thus the real network error
rate is probably lower than this.  I might add that the error rate on our
coax is about an order of magnitude higher, but there are a lot more systems
and thus there is more potential for junk.

With only 185m of cable, I can't see timing being a problem. The difference
in propagation time at .66c vs .8c over a 185m cable round trip is roughly
400ns, which is unlikely to affect the Ethernet timing (~50us window).

Most of our thinwire segments run around the outside of a floor, i.e. along
office windowledges and through walls (mostly plaster). When the cable
is initially installed we insert a barrel connector in each place where a
system might potentially be connected (min. 1 per room even where not
planned). This usually results in about 15 connections, so there are some
extras in large offices where more than one person works. We also try to
cover the perimeter of the floor well under the length limit, so that there
is allowance for extra pieces that people may need to reach a system in
their office when it is eventually installed. Because of the existing
connectors, it is very quick work to connect a system later on.

Of course, we don't have to worry a lot about the aesthetics of the cabling.
Basically as long as it isn't underfoot or otherwise in the way, nobody
cares what it looks like (you should see the backs of our microVAXes!! :-) ).

--
 Ruth Milner          UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!sysruth
 Systems Manager      BITNET - sysruth@utorphys

bud@ut-emx.UUCP (C. E. "Bud" Spurgeon) (05/17/89)

In article <802@helios.toronto.edu> sysruth@helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Ruth Milner) writes:
>In article <1026@draken.nada.kth.se> ragge@nada.kth.se (Ragnar Sundblad) writes:
>>
>>Now people that usually know something of what they are talking about,
>>although they are sellers (not of the cable), have told me that it is
>>not recommendable to build long (100<l<185m) networks with RG58, I
>>should use this ThinWire cable instead if I don't want to get problems
>>when there are many nodes connected.
>>
>>(I mentioned this to a cable seller. He told me that "it had something
>>to do with the timing" (RG58 = ~0.66c, ThinWire = ~0.80c).  As long
>>as I don't run at the timing margins, I don't give very much for
>>that (perhapse I could get 0.000001 times better performance :-).)
>
>We use RG58U for all our thinwire Ethernet segments, and have had no
>trouble with it (actually, I was under the impression that RG58 was the
>cable that ThinWire, i.e. 10BASE2, was actually spec'd around). There are

The IEEE 10BASE2 spec for thin Ethernet notes that the coaxial cable
specifications are met by two cable types, RG58A/U and RG58C/U.

From Belden cable RG58A/U is P/N 8259.  It has a cellular polyethelyne
dialectric, a nominal impedance of 50 ohms, a stranded center
conductor, and a propagation rate of 78% of light.

Belden sells RG58C/U as P/N 8262.  It has a solid polyethelyne
dialectric, 50 ohms, stranded, and a prop rate of 66% of light.

Both cables can be strung to 185 meters and meet the Ethernet timing
specs.  The foam poly has better propagation, but beware of
environmental hazards.  In one building that had a lot of thin
Ethernet we noticed that the tray into the wiring closet had a sharp
edge on the end of it.  The bundle of RG58A/U cables had enough
weight that the cables were crimped going over this edge.  Foam poly
is easily deformed.  The solid poly holds up better to the sorts of
hazards these cables see.

I seem to recall that DEC sells a special thinwire variation that has
a smaller OD than either of these two cables and requires special BNCs
and crimping tools.  Make sure that whetever you buy fits the
connectors and tooling you get.  Most of the installation problems
with this technology will be with connectors that aren't installed
correctly.

Plain old RG58/U (Belden 8240) has an impedance of 53.5 ohms and does
NOT meet the 10BASE2 specs.

root@helios.toronto.edu (Operator) (05/18/89)

In article <13099@ut-emx.UUCP> bud@emx.UUCP (C. E. "Bud" Spurgeon) writes:
>In article <802@helios.toronto.edu> sysruth@helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Ruth Milner) writes:

>>We use RG58U for all our thinwire Ethernet segments, and have had no

>The IEEE 10BASE2 spec for thin Ethernet notes that the coaxial cable
>specifications are met by two cable types, RG58A/U and RG58C/U.

[...]

>Plain old RG58/U (Belden 8240) has an impedance of 53.5 ohms and does
>NOT meet the 10BASE2 specs.

It's the RG58C/U we use; apologies for any ambiguity there. I wasn't aware
there was an RG58U as well.
--

hatch@wasatch.utah.edu (Corey Hatch) (05/26/89)

In article <13099@ut-emx.UUCP>, bud@ut-emx.UUCP (C. E. "Bud" Spurgeon) writes:

> From Belden cable RG58A/U is P/N 8259.  It has a cellular polyethelyne
> dialectric, a nominal impedance of 50 ohms, a stranded center
> conductor, and a propagation rate of 78% of light.

You mean Belden 8219, not 8259.  Your above parameters are correct for the
8219.  Belden 8259 has a velocity prop of 66%c and has a solid polyethylene
dielectric (but is also classified as RG-58A/U).

Belden 8219 is the better cable.

///////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Corey Scott Hatch
					        Kirk: "And that's when you hit
	 hatch@cs.utah.edu			       the Klingons?!"
    Computer Science Department
	 University of Utah	       *** LA LAKERS: Back to Back to Back ***
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\///////////////////////////////////////

bud@ut-emx.UUCP (C. E. "Bud" Spurgeon) (05/27/89)

In article <1927@wasatch.utah.edu> hatch@wasatch.utah.edu (Corey Hatch) writes:
>You mean Belden 8219, not 8259.  Your above parameters are correct for the
>8219.  Belden 8259 has a velocity prop of 66%c and has a solid polyethylene
>dielectric (but is also classified as RG-58A/U).
>
>Belden 8219 is the better cable.

You're quite right!  I goofed and gave out the wrong Belden number for
the RG58A/U I was describing.

While we're at it, I have a photocopy of the wire spec used by DEC in
their DECconnect thin Ethernet system.  It appears to have a Belden #
of 9908.  The main thing that I recall about using this stuff is that
the outside diameter is smaller than the usual run of RG58A/U and the
usual BNC crimp-on connectors won't crimp onto it properly.

I was told that DEC uses this cable because it has a 100% foil shield
along with the braid for better EMI characteristics.