[comp.dcom.lans] Radio Time Clocks

marcus@osf.org (Mark Roman) (05/17/89)

     I am trying to get some information on radio clocks, specifically
the kind used to provide a reliable standard time for a LAN.  I have been
recommended to Precision Standard Time Inc. in Fremont, CA.  They make a
dandy clock called the Time Source, which is perfect for my needs.
It's a radio receiver tuned to WWV in CO, which puts out serial data
on an RS232 port.  This data, as you might've guessed, is the decoded
time according to the NBS.

Now here's the rub:

It seems that PSTI has disconnected their phones.  Unfortunately, I
don't know if they have simply moved, or if they are out of business.
This, as you might imagine, makes it difficult for me to order
equipment.

Does anyone out there in netland have any information on PSTI or their
distributors?  If they have indeed gone belly up, does anyone have
information on other vendors of similar products?  Please forward this
on to anyone with knowledge.

Thanks in advance,

mark roman

david@daisy.UUCP (David Schachter) (05/23/89)

PSTI went out of business a few weeks ago, a victim of poor management
and lousy marketing.  Radio clocks are available from Kinemetrics/True-
time, Spectracom, and possibly from Heathkit.  Most radio clocks are
significantly more expensive or lower quality than the PSTI clock, un-
fortunately.

An alternative exists in the form of a dial-up modem service run by,
if memory servers, the National Institute of Standards and Technology
(formerly named the National Bureau of Standards, operators of WWV and
WWVH.)  I don't have the phone number or specifications handy; call the
NIST in Boulder, CO, or in Washington, DC, for more information.

					-- David Schachter

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (05/24/89)

In article <3086@daisy.UUCP> david@daisy.UUCP (David Schachter) writes:
>An alternative exists in the form of a dial-up modem service run by,
>if memory servers, the National Institute of Standards and Technology
>(formerly named the National Bureau of Standards, operators of WWV and
>WWVH.)  I don't have the phone number or specifications handy; call the
>NIST in Boulder, CO, or in Washington, DC, for more information.
>
>					-- David Schachter

And here it is.

	I found this in Sky & Telescope. If you are doing projects requiring
your computer syncing with UTC, this is for you. The phone number is
(303) 494-4774, they are to add a 900 number in the future.

                             DESCRIPTION OF THE
                 AUTOMATED COMPUTER TELEPHONE SERVICE (ACTS)

The following is transmitted (at 1200 baud) following completion of the
telephone connection.

             ? = HELP
             National Bureau of Standards
             Telephone Time Service

                                     D  L D
              MJD  YR MO DA H  M  S  ST S UT1 msADV         OTM
             47222 88-03-02 21:39:15 83 0 +.3 045.0 UTC(NBS) *
             47222 88-03-02 21:39:16 83 0 +.3 045.0 UTC(NBS) *
             47222 88-03-02 21:39:17 83 0 +.3 045.0 UTC(NBS) *
             47222 88-03-02 21:39:18 83 0 +.3 045.0 UTC(NBS) *
             47222 88-03-02 21:39:19 83 0 +.3 037.6 UTC(NBS) #
             47222 88-03-02 21:39:20 83 0 +.3 037.6 UTC(NBS) #
             etc..etc...etc.......

UTC = Universal Time Coordinated, the official world time referred to the
zero meridian.

DST = Daylight savings time characters, valid for the continental U.S., are
set as follows:
  00 = We are on standard time (ST).    50 = We are on DST.
  99 to 51 = Now on ST, go to DST when your local time is 2:00 am and the
    count is 51.  The count is decremented daily at 00 (UTC).
  49 to 01 = Now on DST, go to ST when your local time is 2:00 am and the
    count is 01.  The count is decremented daily at 00 (UTC).
The two DST characters provide up to 48 days advance notice of a change in
time.  The count remains at 00 or 50 at other times.

LS = Leap second flag is set to "1" to indicate that a leap second is to be
added as 23:59:60 (UTC) on the last day of the current UTC month.  The LS
flag will be reset to "0" starting with 23:59:60 (UTC).  The flag will
remain on for the entire month before the second is added.  Leap seconds
are added as needed at the end of any month.  Usually June and/or December
are chosen.

 The leap second flag will be set to a "2" to indicate that a leap second
is to be deleted at 23:59:58--00:00:00 on the last day of the current
month. (This latter provision is included per international recommendation
however it is not likely to be required in the near future.)

DUT1 = Approximate difference between earth rotation time (UT1) and UTC, in
steps of 0.1 second.         DUT1 = UT1 - UTC

MJD = Modified Julian Date, often used to tag certain scientific data.

The full time format is sent at 1200 baud, 8 bit, 1 stop, no parity.
The HH:MM:SS msADV time format at 300 baud is also 8 bit, 1 stop, no parity.

Maximum on line time will be 55 seconds.  If all lines are busy at any time,
the oldest call will be terminated if it has been on line more than 15
seconds, otherwise, the call that first reaches 15 seconds will be
terminated.

Current time is valid at the "on-time" marker (OTM), either "*" or "#".
The nominal on-time marker (*) will be transmitted 45 ms early to account
for the 8 ms required to send 1 character at 1200 baud, plus an additional
7 ms for delay from NBS to the user, and approximately 30 ms "scrambler"
delay inherent in 1200 baud modems.  If the caller echoes all characters,
NBS will measure the round trip delay and advance the on-time marker so
that the midpoint of the stop bit arrives at the user on time.  The amount
of msADV will reflect the actual required advance in milliseconds and the
OTM will be a "#".  The NBS system requires 4 consecutive delay
measurements which are consistent before switching from "*" to "#".
If the user has a 1200 baud modem with the same internal delay as that used
by NBS, then the "#" OTM should arrive at the user within +-2 ms of the
correct time.  However, NBS has studied different brands of 1200 baud
modems and found internal delays from 24 ms to 40 ms and offsets of the
"#" OTM of +-10 ms.  For many computer users, +-10 ms accuracy should be
more than adequate since many computer internal clocks can only be set with
granularity of 20 to 50 ms.  In any case, the repeatability of the offset
for the "#" OTM should be within +-2 ms, if the dial-up path is reciprocal
and the user doesn't change the brand or model of modem used. This should
be true even if the dial-up path on one day is a land-line of less than
40 ms (one way) and on the next day is a satellite link of 260 to 300 ms.
In the rare event that the path is one way by satellite and the other way
by land line with a round trip measurement in the range of 90 to 260 ms,
the OTM will remain a "*" indicating 45 ms advance.  For the user who wants
the best possible accuracy at the OTM, NBS offers an alternate 300 baud
service with only HH:MM:SS MSADV and OTM. To use the alternate service,
simply call at 300 baud.  Because of the simple FSK modulation scheme used
at 300 baud, all modems tested had the same delay within about 1 ms.

The full time format will be sent at 1200 baud, 8 bit, 1 stop, no parity. The
HH:MM:SS MSADV time format at 300 baud will also be 8b, 1s, np.

For user comments write:
NBS-ACTS
Time and Frequency Division
Mail Stop 524
325 Broadway
Boulder, CO  80303

Software for setting DOS compatable machines is available on a
360-kbyte diskette for $35.00 from:
NBS Office of Standard Reference Materials
B311-Chemistry Bldg, NBS, Gaithersburg, MD, 20899, (301) 975-6776

Classic Quotes from STNG: "Pen Pals"
Picard: Her society is aware .. that there is intersteller life?
Data:   No Sir.
Picard: Oooops..

cratz@icldata.UUCP (Tony Cratz) (05/26/89)

In article <2767@csccat.UUCP>, jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) writes:
> In article <3086@daisy.UUCP> david@daisy.UUCP (David Schachter) writes:
> >An alternative exists in the form of a dial-up modem service run by,
> >if memory servers, the National Institute of Standards and Technology
> >(formerly named the National Bureau of Standards, operators of WWV and
> >WWVH.)  I don't have the phone number or specifications handy; call the
> >NIST in Boulder, CO, or in Washington, DC, for more information.
> >
> >					-- David Schachter

There is a company out here in California that has a unit which has a
RS-232 port and gets its information direct from WWV, (price ~$500.00).
(more for a large computer room then a small office)

There is also another company that will be making a PC board which will
have the WWV RF interface. All you do is plug it into the PC and with
the software be able to get the WWV information.

Both system uses a SMALL di-pole (~2 ft in length).

I'm not sure of what their names are but if you want I will find out
from my friend the name and the phone numbers.

							Tony Cratz
--
			"Looks like plant food to me"

Tony Cratz 	work phone: (408) 982-3585
UUCP: ames!versatc!icldata!cratz
Snail: ICL Datachecker, 800 Central Expressway MS 33-36, Santa Clara, Ca 95052

hgp@lzaz.ATT.COM (H.PAGE) (05/26/89)

In article <2767@csccat.UUCP>, jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) writes:
> >An alternative exists in the form of a dial-up modem service run by,
> >if memory servers, the National Institute of Standards and Technology
> >(formerly named the National Bureau of Standards, operators of WWV and
> >WWVH.)  I don't have the phone number or specifications handy; call the
> >NIST in Boulder, CO, or in Washington, DC, for more information.
> >
> 	I found this in Sky & Telescope. If you are doing projects requiring
> your computer syncing with UTC, this is for you. The phone number is
> (303) 494-4774, they are to add a 900 number in the future.
	.
	.
	.

> Software for setting DOS compatable machines is available on a
> 360-kbyte diskette for $35.00 from:
	.
	.

Send me a formatted 5 1/4 floppy and a self addressed, stamped return
envelope, and I'll send you both the source (Turbo C?) and executable.

Howard

	Howard G. Page
	62 Stratford Rd.
	Tinton Falls, NJ 07724-3143

--

Howard G. Page   AT&T  LZ 1B-115K (201)576-2731 ..!att!lzaz!hgp

frank@ut-emx.UUCP (Frank Abernathy) (05/27/89)

> In article <2767@csccat.UUCP>, jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) writes:
> > >An alternative exists in the form of a dial-up modem service run by,
> > >if memory servers, the National Institute of Standards and Technology
> > >(formerly named the National Bureau of Standards, operators of WWV and
> > >WWVH.)  I don't have the phone number or specifications handy; call the
> > >NIST in Boulder, CO, or in Washington, DC, for more information.
> > >
> > 	I found this in Sky & Telescope. If you are doing projects requiring
> > your computer syncing with UTC, this is for you. The phone number is
> > (303) 494-4774, they are to add a 900 number in the future.

WHY do people want to subsidize AT&T/Sprint/MCI and (insert your favorite long-
distance company here)?

Buy the Heath Clock, $249.95 plus $49.95 for the RS-232 interface, put it
together, string a wire an get the correct time.

You will always, if you have a halfway decent wire antenna, get GOOD time.
The only inconvenience is setting the Year offset and DST changes.

Heath 1-800-253-0570.  No connection with Heath; we put their kit together and
it works!

Frank (512)-471-3216

In article <13437@ut-emx.UUCP> frank@ut-emx.UUCP (Frank Abernathy) writes:
>WHY do people want to subsidize AT&T/Sprint/MCI and (insert your favorite long-
>distance company here)?
>
>Buy the Heath Clock, $249.95 plus $49.95 for the RS-232 interface, put it
>together, string a wire an get the correct time.

Ever tried stringing a wire from inside the third floor of a university
building?  Without paying Physical Plant $$$$ to do it for you?  Running
one inside is useless -- too much old computer equipment that radiates
fiercely and ruins reception.  Not to mention that we're a long ways from
WWV and reception isn't great to begin with.  (The Heath clock's receiver
is not a superb job, in fact several aspects of the design aren't great --
one would hope that for US$49.95, they could do real RS232 rather than a
sloppy half-assed kludge, but no such luck...)  We won't even mention
considerations like lightning protection...
--
Van Allen, adj: pertaining to  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
deadly hazards to spaceflight. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

root@grieg.CS.ColoState.Edu (the root) (05/30/89)

In article <1989May27.222428.4127@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp
(Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <13437@ut-emx.UUCP> frank@ut-emx.UUCP (Frank Abernathy) writes:
>> string a wire an get the correct time.
>
>Not to mention that we're a long ways from
>WWV and reception isn't great to begin with.
>--
A lab on our foothills campus (in Ft. Collins, CO, home of WWV) had
one of these units. The receiver front-end was being overloaded, so
the dipole was turned 90 degrees and put in a cabinet!

    Randolph Bentson
    Computer Science Department
    Colorado State University
    Ft. Collins, CO 80523
	303/491-7016
    bentson@grieg.CS.ColoState.Edu

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (05/30/89)

In article <13437@ut-emx.UUCP> frank@ut-emx.UUCP (Frank Abernathy) writes:
>WHY do people want to subsidize AT&T/Sprint/MCI and (insert your favorite long-
>distance company here)?
>
>Buy the Heath Clock, $249.95 plus $49.95 for the RS-232 interface, put it
>together, string a wire an get the correct time.

     Over $300 just to get an accurate time ?  I'll stick with the phone.
  Prehaps you check your clock more often than I do mine, or maybe you
  just need a better clock.  When I consider how many calls I can make
  and how often I typically call, and compare this to the probable usefull
  lifetime of the Heath clock, then (at least for me), the phone is cheaper.

Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370 (Sunnyvale,Ca); {mips|pyramid|philabs}!prls!gordon
Every extinction, whether animal, mineral, or vegetable, hastens our own demise.

dennis@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Dennis Ferguson) (05/31/89)

In article <16468@bellcore.bellcore.com> karn@jupiter.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) writes:
>Has anybody built a clock that uses CHU's encoded time signals?

Not yet, really, but I've been working on and off on a CHU-synchonized NTP
server for the past few months.  Maybe a month more to get things tested
to the point where I know whether it can be trusted or not.

The nice thing about CHU, beyond the fact that if a serial time code is
what you want you can get by with just a radio and a 300 bps modem, is that
the data arriving at your computer's serial port is generated directly from
the atomic clock itself, rather than being second hand via a radio clock.
This allows you to process using some heavier duty algorithms than your
average clock manufacturer is likely to be able to put together, and also
gives you more intimate knowlege of how the receiver is doing so you can
take approprate action (the Heathkit clock wouldn't be so bad if it would
tell you it was running into difficulty early enough for you to stop
believing it in time).  The end of every data byte gives you a time sample
(90 per minute in all) meaning you've got lots and lots of samples to feed
to the filters.  NTP eats errors and short term variations of known
(observed, measured) statistical properties for breakfast.

I like the idea of time-synchronizing random hosts (i.e. anything that has
something to do besides time keeping) to a well behaved NTP server
across a network rather than trying to deal with a radio clock directly.
You can get some pretty amazing results with NTP, even across large chunks
of Internet topology let alone across a single LAN, without much effort
on the part of the host.  The grot of dealing with a radio clock can
probably be better handled by something which hasn't got much else to do
besides watch the clock.  For isolated hosts the telephone time service
might be a better bet.  Unless you live in Ft. Collins or Ottawa, or
can afford a GOES clock, getting good, reliable time from a radio time
source can take a lot of work.

Dennis Ferguson

karn@jupiter (Phil R. Karn) (05/31/89)

>A lab on our foothills campus (in Ft. Collins, CO, home of WWV) had
>one of these units. The receiver front-end was being overloaded, so
>the dipole was turned 90 degrees and put in a cabinet!

After some frustrating experiences with the GriefKit clock, I used to
say that there's nothing wrong with it that couldn't be fixed by moving
to Fort Collins, Colorado.  I guess I was wrong. :-)

Seriously, the biggest problem with the clock is how it behaves when
propagation from WWV is poor. The clock accumulates a significant error
(several seconds) when the signal is lost for even relatively short
periods, and there's no way to set it manually.  I don't understand why
this should be so; my 10-year-old $25 National Semi wristwatch typically
stays within 1 second/month with no WWV updates at all, and it's very
easy to set manually.

Has anybody built a clock that uses CHU's encoded time signals? CHU is
generally much easier to receive in the northeastern US than WWV, but
their time code format (300 bps FSK bursts, used as sound effects in the
movie "The Empire Strikes Back") is of a different format. (CHU is on
3.330, 7.335 and 14.67 MHz. It uses AM with the lower sideband
suppressed. Time is announced in voice every minute in both French and
English.)

Phil

In article <26174@ames.arc.nasa.gov> medin@cincsac.arc.nasa.gov (Milo S. Medin) writes:
>Actually, our PSTI (now defunct) clock seems to be very happy to keep
>a steady lock on WWV from here in northern California.  It does have
>an external antenna, but has no problems maintaining sync...

You are right, I got carried away.  If you are close enough and/or have
a good antenna a radio clock can do very well.  Even the PSTI clock is
reputed to hang on longer than it should, however (I am assuming you know
the clock maintains constant sync by having measured it against other
clocks.  Having the in-sync LED on the front of the thing on all the
time may as likely be a symptom of a problem as it is an indication that
no problem exists).  Actually, "close enough" doesn't seem to be right
either.  I've had to invest in a fair amount of antenna wire to get
CHU fairly noise free, I am told that 300 kilometers is actually a little
too close and that the better signals are skipping over my head.

I still think that if you want a source of time you can poll once in
a while and get guaranteed reliable time, your HF radio clock may
disappoint you from time to time unless you are in a location which
is advantageous geographically, or the algorithms the clock uses to
process the time are very good.  In the latter case I think I'd rather
have those algorithms running somewhere where I can see them and fix
them when they do break.

Dennis Ferguson

medin@nsipo.arc.nasa.gov (Milo S. Medin) (05/31/89)

Actually, our PSTI (now defunct) clock seems to be very happy to keep
a steady lock on WWV from here in northern California.  It does have
an external antenna, but has no problems maintaining sync...

						Thanks,
						   Milo

In article <1989May30.224116.2101@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> dennis@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Dennis Ferguson) writes:
>The nice thing about CHU, beyond the fact that if a serial time code is
>what you want you can get by with just a radio and a 300 bps modem...

Not just any 300-baud modem, unfortunately.  Some folks up in Ottawa,
including a friend of mine, did a CHU receiver at one point.  They ended
up custom-brewing a modem.  The problem is that the 300-baud carrier is
not continuous, and commercial 300-baud modems take too long to lock onto
it -- you need something that will lock on almost instantly if you don't
want to miss the start of the data.
--
You *can* understand sendmail, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but it's not worth it. -Collyer| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

ml@gandalf.UUCP (Marcus Leech) (06/05/89)

In article <16468@bellcore.bellcore.com>, karn@jupiter (Phil R. Karn) writes:
> Has anybody built a clock that uses CHU's encoded time signals? CHU is
> generally much easier to receive in the northeastern US than WWV, but
Well, actually, yes.  We use one I designed to keep our VAXen synched to
  CHU to within abt 0.03sec.  The VAXen also synchronize other devices a couple
  of times a day.  I published an article in the April, 1988 issue of
  "The Canadian Amateur" [hey, Phil, are you a C.A.R.F. member? :-)] about
  the modem I designed and the software.
A regular 103-type modem won't work, because of some tight timing restrictions.
  My intention is to go commercial/semi-commercial with this thing.  If I
  get enough encouraging noises from people, I probably will.
If you build a modem based on my article, you can get the time-setting
  software from me for nothing.

I live and work only a few km away from the CHU transmitter site, so the
  signal is pretty good :-) ;-).  I've evaluated the signal in other parts
  of North America and concluded that a modem listening to the signal would
  be able to get a good "fix" at least several times per day, and usually
  several times per hour.  The problem with WWV isn't so much propagation, it's
  that you need an entire minute of ungarbled digital timecode to encode the
  current time of day.  The CHU format gives you nine bursts per minute, each
  encoding the entire T.O.D--that means that conditions can be pretty
  poor and still allow you to get one or two complete timecodes in a given
  minute.
Your average PC would need to get a fix about four times a day to stay within
  0.50sec of UTC.  Our VAX (785) drifts only about 0.2 seconds per day when
  left unattended, depending on phase-of-the-moon.  Many of the devices we
  periodically synchronize have drifts of up to 2 or three seconds per day.
  Why is a $5 Brand-X watch so much better than a $150 PC clock board?
--
"Better Living through modern chemistry" PaperMail: 130 Colonnade Rd, Nepean,ON
Marcus Leech                             E-mail:     ml@gandalf.UUCP