[comp.dcom.lans] Wanted: INT14 -> telnet "interface"

rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman) (06/15/89)

We are currently using a DOS product called BWCOM14, from Beame &
Whiteside, that "catches" the output of compatible programs (like
SIMPC, from Simware, using simbios) at INT14 and "translates" it
to telnet protocols to connect over a tcp/ip LAN.  BWCOM emulates
a Hayes modem and accepts the Internet address in place of the phone
number.  (i.e. ATDT97.0.0.1).

The catch is that we also use Sun's PC-NFS and it uses a
different set of drivers (ethernet & tcp/ip) than BWCOM14.  This
means that while using BWCOM14 we cannot access our network
servers (print & disk).  We would switch to Beame & Whiteside's
implementation of NFS for DOS, but we also have a terminal
emulation program for another product (CCI's PC-Power) that
requires Sun's telnet. (BTW, ethernet board is thwe WD8003E.)

I would like to find a program similar to BWCOM14 that would run
under/with PC-NFS and use its drivers.  If there is no such
program out there already, we would be willing to develop our own.
Since we do not have the necessary expertise in our work group, we
would have to hire a contract programmer for the job.

If you know of a program that might fit our needs, or if you feel
you have the programming skills to write such a program (and you
live in the San Francisco area) please contact me via E-mail.

--
Richard Perlman * pbseps!rdp@PacBell.COM || {ames,sun,att}!pacbell!pbseps!rdp
180 New Montgomery St. rm 602,  San Francisco, CA  94105  |*| 1(415) 545-0233

rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman) (06/16/89)

In article <504@pbseps.UUCP> I wrote:
>We are currently using a DOS product called BWCOM14, from Beame &
>Whiteside, that "catches" the output of compatible programs (like
>SIMPC, from Simware, using simbios) at INT14 and "translates" it
>to telnet protocols to connect over a tcp/ip LAN.
>
>I would like to find a program similar to BWCOM14 that would run
>under/with PC-NFS and use its drivers.

I have not recieved any solutions, BUT a number of people wanted
to know how to contact Beame & Whiteside.  Here is what I have.

Beame & Whiteside   (416) 648-6556
Carl Beame's internet address is  beame@mcmaster.ca