[comp.dcom.lans] Take your best shot at solving this scenario, eh?

f0057@uafhp.uucp (James E. Ward) (06/22/89)

Okay, I am looking for any help I can get.  I don't know much about what I am
doing and would like to draw on this vast pool of knowledge (read YOU!).  We
have:

1 AS/400
~50 local PC clones
~150 remote PC clones
~50 remote AS/400 tubes
and a few remote AS/400 printers

We plan to install in the future remote AS/400s here and there about the USA.

What we want (ideal solution with my limited knowledge):

A way to connect all these things together so that the PCs can log into the
AS/400(s) and everybody can share files, printers, etc. as much as can be had.

Solutions that have been bounced around:

Banyan file server and everything on Token ring (IBM).  This solution doesn't
support the remote tubes and printers.

IBM PC/RT as a file server and token ring.  I am not sure what this can do.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
#  James E. Ward, The Planet Earth, Ltd.    |                                 #
#  ...uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!f0057@uafhp  |  Those who speak, do not know.  #
#  harry!uafhp!f0057@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu    |  Those who know, do not speak.  #
#  Telenet:  f0057@130.184.7.103            |                       Lao Tsu   #

gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) (06/23/89)

In article <2636@cveg.uucp>, f0057@uafhp.uucp (James E. Ward) writes:

 [STUFF DELETED]

> What we want (ideal solution with my limited knowledge):
>
> A way to connect all these things together so that the PCs can log into the
> AS/400(s) and everybody can share files, printers, etc. as much as can be had.

 [MORE STUFF DELETED]

You have approached the "problem" in the way that many people do, i.e., you
state that you want to share everything, but not why.

Solutions will vary upon specific application.  For example, usually it is
impractical for a user in Chicago to print on a printer in NYC unless he
is trying to get a message to someone in NYC.  It is impractical to read
executables remotely over a low speed link, but that might be perfectly
acceptable for another type of access.

How are things clustered?  Who has access to the equipment and what do they
really NEED and WANT to do?  What can you afford?  Are the files and printers
PC based, AS/400 based, or both?  Does everyone use the AS/400?  For what?

I'm sure that people will respond to your request with various options on how
to connect everything to everything (its mostly possible).  I advise that you
step back to better define the "problem" first.
- Brian Jay Gould  :: INTERNET gould@pilot.njin.net                       -
-                     UUCP rutgers!njin!gould   Telephone  (201) 329-9616 -
-                     BITNET gould@jvncc        Facsimile  (201) 329-9616 -
- Vice President, Systems Integration    ---   Network Design Corporation -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------s

f0057@uafhp.uucp (James E. Ward) (06/23/89)

In article <Jun.22.23.00.53.1989.1191@pilot.njin.net>, gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) writes:
> In article <2636@cveg.uucp>, f0057@uafhp.uucp (James E. Ward) writes:
> >
> > What we want (ideal solution with my limited knowledge):
> >
> > A way to connect all these things together so that the PCs can log into the
> > AS/400(s) and everybody can share files, printers, etc. as much as can be had.
> >

> How are things clustered?

Currently, the PCs in this office are on an old (2.0a++) Novell
network.  The only way anyone logs into the AS/400 is via emulation
and a big fat cable hooked directly to the AS/400.  Remote PCs and
terminals do the same thing over phone lines.  We tried a gateway to
allow PCs on the Novell network to log into the AS/400, but were
unsatisfied with the security problems and reliability of it.

> Who has access to the equipment and what do they really NEED and WANT to do?

Essentially everyone has access to the AS/400.  They need to run AS/400
applications and print reports from these applications at least locally.
It would be nice to be able to share files with remote PCs as well.  At
this point, they upload worksheets from the PCs to the AS/400 and share
them in this fashion.  Seems there could be a better way, but that is not
essential, just desirable.

> What can you afford?

We would like the options left wide open so that we can decide what we can
afford.  We are willing to make a big investment toward future connectivity.

> Are the files and printers PC based, AS/400 based, or both?

Both in all cases.

> Does everyone use the AS/400?  For what?

25% of the local PC users also use the AS/400.  75% of the remote PC users
also use the AS/400.  In addition, we have a programming staff that uses the
AS/400 exclusively and people (like me) who barely recognize an AS/400 sign-
on screen.

> I'm sure that people will respond to your request with various options on how
> to connect everything to everything (its mostly possible).  I advise that you
> step back to better define the "problem" first.

I hope this helps clarify our wants/needs.  Please ask me more specific
questions and I will try to answer them.