[comp.dcom.lans] 10BASET did not pass

ron@hardees.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (06/16/89)

I just got a call relayed to me that the 10BASET draft
didn't pass the draft vote.  Something to do with concerns
over adjacent pair interference problems.

Somebody on the committee care to elaborate (a longer report
from my contacts is supposedly on the way).

-Ron

ncpjmw@amdcad.AMD.COM (Mike Wincn) (06/23/89)

In article <Jun.16.09.04.58.1989.13637@hardees.rutgers.edu> ron@hardees.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>I just got a call relayed to me that the 10BASET draft
>didn't pass the draft vote.  Something to do with concerns
>over adjacent pair interference problems.
>
>Somebody on the committee care to elaborate (a longer report
>from my contacts is supposedly on the way).
>
>-Ron

I don't know what you mean by '..didn't pass the draft vote.'  It was voted
overwhelmingly to go out for letter ballot at the New Orleans Plenary, and
10BASE-T Task Force just spent three days reviewing ballot comments.

Mike Wincn
ncpjmw@amdcad.AMD.COM
(408) 749-3156

pat@hprnd.HP.COM (Pat Thaler) (06/24/89)

ron@hardees.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes on Jun 16, 1989:

> I just got a call relayed to me that the 10BASET draft
> didn't pass the draft vote.  Something to do with concerns
> over adjacent pair interference problems.

I wonder where your contact's information came from.  As of June
16, only the chair of IEEE 802.3 and myself had the ballot

> Somebody on the committee care to elaborate (a longer report
> from my contacts is supposedly on the way).
>
> -Ron
> ----------

First, more than most of you ever wanted to know about how
IEEE 802 drafts are balloted.

Once an IEEE 802 Working Group (such as IEEE 802.3) decides
a draft is ready for ballot, the draft is mailed out to all
voters and observers in the Working Group.  They have 30 days
to respond.  The ballot cannot be closed until at least 75%
of the voters have responded.  Voters who consistantly fail
to respond can lose their voting rights.

A vote can be:
  Approve
  Approve with Comments
  Disapprove (Must attach sufficient comment with wording to
              enable an affirmative ballot.)
  Abstain due to Lack of Expertise or Lack of Time

To pass, Approves (with or without comments) must be at least
75% of Approves plus Disapproves.  Only voters are counted in
this tally.

More important, according to the IEEE Standards Manual:

"Every attempt will be made to resolve comments, objections,
and negative votes."

If the changes which a negative voter requested are made, the
vote automatically becomes affirmative.  If the changes are
not made or are partially made, the negative voter is informed
of the reasons and given an opportunity to change to approve
or remain disapprove.

Any substantive changes and any unresolved negatives are then
circulated and people have a chance to change their votes to
No.

The amazing thing about this process is that it works.  We normally
resolve all negatives.

Second, why does someone vote Disapprove?

If someone believes that there is a technical flaw such that the
system won't work.  The flaw could be minor and easy to fix such
as a mistake in a state machine description.  The problem could
be that the draft is actually correct but unclear.

If someone believes there is an inconsistant use of terminology
The inconsistancy may be internal or with usage in other standards
or with usage in the industry.

If someone believes that the text is not clear and needs rewording,
or that a parameter could be better specified another way.

The reasons are often small and very specific.  It is important that the
draft be clear and correct so that designers can implement interoperable
products.  If there is anything which a voter perceives as needing
correction to attain that goal they vote Disapprove.

A disapprove rarely means that someone is against the draft as
a whole.

Now, what about the 10BASE-T ballot?

At the 802.3 meeting last March, the vote to initiate the letter
ballot was unanimous.  This indicates support for a 10BASE-T
supplement to 802.3.  None of the ballot comments received
contradicted this, in my opinion.

There were over 50 ballots which contained comments.  Obviously
some of those comments are redundant, but there is still a large
volume of material for the task force to examine and respond to.
A response needs to be written for each comment and, in the case
of disapproves, reviewed with the voter.  The process will probably
take several months.

I have read every comment we received and, in my opinion, none
of the comments points out a fundamental unfixable flaw in the
draft.  Many of the comments are on clarity and terminology.  Some
request specific technical changes.

Pat Thaler
Chair of 10BASE-T

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of IEEE or the
10BASE-T task force.