[comp.dcom.lans] Starlan/Ethernet compatibility

haas@wasatch.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (06/10/89)

We're in the market for Ethernet over twisted pair products.  The
guys from AT&T want to sell us Starlan-10 (surprise!) but I have a few
questions about compatibility with Ethernet in general and 10BASET in
particular:

1) Are there any compatibility issues that arise if I use existing
   Ethernet interfaces through AT&T's AUI adapters into Starlan hubs?

2) How big are the differences between Starlan and the forthcoming 10BASET,
   ie. if I buy a Starlan now, how well will it interoperate with the
   Brand X 10BASET products I buy next year?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Walt Haas    haas@cs.utah.edu    utah-cs!haas

viki@crash.cts.com (Victoria Harkey) (06/12/89)

In article <2009@wasatch.utah.edu> haas@wasatch.utah.edu (Walt Haas) writes:
>We're in the market for Ethernet over twisted pair products.  The
>guys from AT&T want to sell us Starlan-10 (surprise!) but I have a few
>questions about compatibility with Ethernet in general and 10BASET in
>particular:

I am not familiar with the Starlan-10 product, but am impressed with
Ungerman-Bass' solution to Ethernet over UTP; the product is called
Access/One and I am fairly certain that it does conform to 10BASET.

If you are seeking an Ethernet solution over unshielded twisted pair
wire, I recommend that you take a look at Access/One.

Disclaimer:  I have nothing to gain from endorsing Ungerman-Bass
products, I'm just impressed with some of their equipment.

Viki Harkey
Network Analyst, ISA, Inc.
crash!viki@nosc.mil

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (06/13/89)

If you're talking STARLAN 10, it is supposed to be compliant
with the 10BASET draft standard out for vote.  STARLAN (one,
I guess) is not, but can be bridged to regular Ethernet.  Hopefully
everyone will embrace the 10BASET standard.  Cabletron has already
pledged converting their product to bring it in line with the
standard.  The other big player, Synoptics, hasn't been heard from
yet with regard to their Lattisnet product.  They've got a bigger
problem as their product is not as close to the 10BASET draft as
others are (their hubs are not repeaters).

-Ron

mkd@mtunh.ATT.COM (Mark Darby) (06/14/89)

In <2009@wasatch.utah.edu>, Walt Haas (haas@wasatch.utah.edu) writes:

>We're in the market for Ethernet over twisted pair products.  The
>guys from AT&T want to sell us Starlan-10 (surprise!) but I have a few
>questions about compatibility with Ethernet in general and 10BASET in
>particular:
>
>1) Are there any compatibility issues that arise if I use existing
>   Ethernet interfaces through AT&T's AUI adapters into Starlan hubs?
>
>2) How big are the differences between Starlan and the forthcoming 10BASET,
>   ie. if I buy a Starlan now, how well will it interoperate with the
>   Brand X 10BASET products I buy next year?
>
>Thanks in advance for any information.
>
>Walt Haas    haas@cs.utah.edu    utah-cs!haas

Answer to 1
-----------
Let me first clarify that the AT&T AUI Adapter is in reality
a TPMAU (TP = Twisted Pair) in IEEE Parlance, or a Twisted Pair
transceiver in Ethernet Parlance.

There shouldn't be any problem using the AT&T AUI Adapter with any
interface card which has an IEEE 802.3/Ethernet Type 2 compliant AUI
interface.  The design guide for the AUI Adapter's AUI connector is
Chapter 7 of the IEEE 802.3 green book.

On the twisted pair side, the only real problem is making sure you have
proper connectivity.  Always make sure an OUT jack is connected to an IN
jack at the other end, or vice versa.

Answer to 2
-----------
The AT&T StarLAN 10 products today meet key technical parameters of the
10BASE-T draft:

           1) Transmit level: the draft specifies 2.5 volts nominal peak
           2) Equalization technique: at the transmitter, not the receiver
           3) distance support: 100 meters on typical installed TP wire
              Greater distance in 25 pair is not feasible.
           4) HUB element: a multiport repeater as specified in Chapter 9
              of the IEEE 802.3 Supplement.  This includes auto-partitioning,
              an option in Chapter 9, but mandatory in 10BASE-T.

The AT&T StarLAN 10 architecture is based on HP's original proposal to
10BASE-T at the beginning of the standard-writing process circa 8/87.
That basic proposal included symmetric transceivers, one at each end of a
wire link, and that the 10BASE-T HUB is a Multi-Port Repeater,
not to be confused with a concentrator.

In fact, AT&T has direct (at the twisted pair interface)
interoperability with HP's StarLAN 10 product, as well as Ungerman Bass's
twisted pair Ethernet product.  That's what standards are all about.

One remaining key technical element exists which neither
AT&T, HP, nor UB has implemented yet, at least not that I know of.
That is the link integrity function.  10BASE-T proposes
a function to determine the availability of the twisted pair link between
endpoints (e.g. node to repeater).  The function consists of periodic pulses
transmitted on a link by link basis in the absence of true data.  These pulses,
transmitted/received correctly, will have no effect on other network elements.
This function was added to the 10BASE-T draft near the end of the writing
process and was radically changed just before the latest draft,
assuring no one was ""compliant"".

Any vendor with an existing pre-standard embedded base should make available
a migration path to products based upon the final standard, with maintained
interoperability between it's own pre-standard and post-standard products.
AT&T's plan includes the ability of switching on and off the link integrity
function per link on it's post-standard products to allow full interoperability
with it's pre-standard hardware, along with pre-standard HP and UB products.
Post-standard products from other vendors would need to implement a similar
scheme to interoperate with pre-standard products, or face a forklift upgrade!

As was stated earlier, the issue of link integrity is the only real outage,
other than possibly a trivial nit or two, between the draft
(as it stands now) and current product. The link integrity function has
been changed by the task force just recently before letter ballot, and will
probably change once again because of various holes in the overall function.

The draft has completed letter balloting by the 802.3 Working Group.
The 10BASE-T Task Force will meet later this month to resolve all NO
votes from the balloting.

				Mark Darby
				201-957-2706

John_Robert_Breeden@cup.portal.com (06/14/89)

>We're in the market for Ethernet over twisted pair products.  The
>guys from AT&T want to sell us Starlan-10 (surprise!) but I have a few
>questions about compatibility with Ethernet in general and 10BASET in
>particular:
>
>1) Are there any compatibility issues that arise if I use existing
>   Ethernet interfaces through AT&T's AUI adapters into Starlan hubs?

No, you should have no problem (you need an AUI port on your ethernet
interface).

>2) How big are the differences between Starlan and the forthcoming 10BASET,
>   ie. if I buy a Starlan now, how well will it interoperate with the
>   Brand X 10BASET products I buy next year?

As long as the OTHER vendors are 10baseT compatable (see note below), they
will interoperate. As a matter of fact, two other vendors besides AT&T
conform to the March '88 10baseT draft, Hewlett Packard and Ungermann Bass
and you can mix and match the three vendors' HUBS, AUI's and NICs (AT&T by
far is the least expensive of the three).

NOTE: AT&T, HP and UB where the only three 10baseT draft compliant vendors
as of the 1988 summer draft. At the December meeting, a new feature was
proposed but not included in the draft (it is expected to be included in the
draft when the IEEE meets this summer) and that's the"link status" packet,
it tells the network that the device is there and up. It is expected that
the draft will become a standard in the first quarter of 1990 - what this
means is that the major parts of the protocol is for all intents and
purposes set in concrete ie; there won't be any major changes in the draft
that would make either AT&T, HP or UP non-compatable with the standard.

What about the "status packet"? No vendor today supports it (it's not even
in the draft yet). But if it becomes part of the draft, AT&T, HP, and UB
will produce product that support it. Does this mean that anything I have
prior to the new product goes out the window - the fork lift upgrade to make
it work? No - that's the issue between compliant and compatable. A vendor
could support the "link status" packet and have a switch on a hub's port
to turn the packet OFF - then anything downstream could be a 10baseT
product that doesn't support "link status" - ie: not 100% compliant with
the standard, but 100% compatable  (one must remember that "link
status" is'nt required to make the ethernet function - it's really a
management issue).

The bottom line is that you can mix and match products from different
vendors today and tomorrow, you're not stuck with a single vendor's
proprietary solution - like Cabletron or Synoptics (that should ruffle
some feathers).

>Thanks in advance for any information.

>Walt Hass

"I'm prejudice because it's true"
John Breeden - uunet!john_robert_breeden@portal.com

John_Robert_Breeden@cup.portal.com (06/15/89)

>If you're talking STARLAN 10, it is supposed to be compliant
>with the 10BASET draft standard out for vote.  STARLAN (one,
>I guess) is not, but can be bridged to regular Ethernet.  Hopefully
>everyone will embrace the 10BASET standard.  Cabletron has already
>pledged converting their product to bring it in line with the
>standard.  The other big player, Synoptics, hasn't been heard from
>yet with regard to their Lattisnet product.  They've got a bigger
>problem as their product is not as close to the 10BASET draft as
>others are (their hubs are not repeaters).
>
>-Ron

And Synoptics NEW product isn't 10baseT either.

rnicovic@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ralph Nicovich) (06/15/89)

It is my understanding that HP's Starlan-10 and UB's Access/one
was a joint development. I have the twisted pair adapters for both
and they look identical (inside and out) except for the LOGO.
I haven't seen AT&T's starlan but it is my understanding it is
the same as HP's.

It is my understanding (from a presentation from UB) that the proper
way to test twisted pairs for these networks is to plug a TPAU
(twisted pair access unit) on each end of the pairs, and then to
use a "standard" (perhaps regular is more appropriate) Ethernet
tester and run a test as though it was an Ethernet.

I personally took this a little further and decided since a tester
thought it was an Ethernet, why not use it as an Ethernet ? Well it
worked. I put a multiport transceiver in each of two buildings which
are connected through TPAU's to each other through 900 ft of telephone
wire. This is a judgment call kind of network, not to any known
standards, but it is fitting the needs of the user.

Ralph Nicovich
Network Engineering
Cal Poly State University

morgan@Jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) (06/15/89)

John Robert Breeden writes:

> As a matter of fact, two other vendors besides AT&T conform to the
> March '88 10baseT draft, Hewlett Packard and Ungermann Bass and you
> can mix and match the three vendors' HUBS, AUI's and NICs

Here's a quote from the front page of the 10BASE-T draft dated April
7, 1989:

> This is an unappproved draft which is subject to change and cannot be
> presumed to reflect the position of Project 802 or the IEEE, Inc.
> DO NOT SPECIFY OR CLAIM CONFORMANCE TO THIS DOCUMENT.

To paraphrase Gene Shue, the standard ain't a standard 'til the fat
lady sings.  If you think you're buying conforming equipment before
the standard is approved, you're only fooling yourself.

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

mkd@mtunh.ATT.COM (Mark Darby) (06/15/89)

In article <19449@cup.portal.com>, John_Robert_Breeden@cup.portal.com writes:

> NOTE: AT&T, HP and UB where the only three 10baseT draft compliant vendors
> as of the 1988 summer draft. At the December meeting, a new feature was
> proposed but not included in the draft (it is expected to be included in the
> draft when the IEEE meets this summer) and that's the"link status" packet,
> it tells the network that the device is there and up. It is expected that
> the draft will become a standard in the first quarter of 1990 - what this
> means is that the major parts of the protocol is for all intents and
> purposes set in concrete ie; there won't be any major changes in the draft
> that would make either AT&T, HP or UP non-compatable with the standard.
>
> What about the "status packet"? No vendor today supports it (it's not even
> in the draft yet). But if it becomes part of the draft, AT&T, HP, and UB

The link test function in the 10BASE-T letter ballot draft (Dated April 7,
1989, Document P802.3I/D6) consists of a transmission of a single
positive pulse, 100 nanoseconds in duration, every
24 to 150 milliseconds in the absence of transmit traffic. The 10BASE-T
MAU receiver does not detect the link test pulse as a packet reception.
The link test function provides the means for the 10BASE-T MAU to determine
whether the twisted pair link is available. This comes as a result of
10BASE-T's handling of loopback (loopback is done internally on the MAU,
as opposed to externally, as is done on a typical 10BASE5 MAU).
The twisted pair receiver does not pass the link test pulse through the MAU
to the AUI, as this would result in a lot of unnecessary garbage floating
around a network. The link test function is performed on a link by link
basis. EVERY 10BASE-T port, whether on a 10BASE-T MAU or HUB, requires
the link test function. So if you have 10BASE-T MAU A and 10BASE-T MAU B
connected together via twisted pair, and neither is transmitting true
data, each MAU is sending link test pulses to the other. If the twisted
pair wire got cut, for example, both A and B would detect the absence of
link pulses and disable their data transmit and data receive functions.
The pulse transmit and pulse receive capabilities of the MAUs
would not be affected. When the cable is repaired and the MAUs detect
the link pulses once again (in a manner specified in 10BASE-T), the MAU's
data transmit and receive capabilities are restored.

> Does this mean that anything I have
> prior to the new product goes out the window - the fork lift upgrade to make
> it work? No - that's the issue between compliant and compatable. A vendor
> could support the "link status" packet and have a switch on a hub's port
> to turn the packet OFF - then anything downstream could be a 10baseT
> product that doesn't support "link status" - ie: not 100% compliant with
> the standard, but 100% compatable  (one must remember that "link
> status" is'nt required to make the ethernet function - it's really a
> management issue).

This is entirely true, assuming the new post-standard hardware is flexible
enough to interoperate with the pre-standard stuff by the use of switches/
options to disable the incompatibility. Otherwise you run into some
interesting network problems.

> >Thanks in advance for any information.
>
> >Walt Hass
>
> "I'm prejudice because it's true"
> John Breeden - uunet!john_robert_breeden@portal.com

Mark K. Darby                                AT&T: (201)957-2706
AT&T Bell Labs                               uucp:..!att!mtunh!mkd

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of
            my employer.

In article <677@mtunh.ATT.COM>, mkd@mtunh.ATT.COM (Mark Darby) writes:

> The link test function in the 10BASE-T letter ballot draft (Dated April 7,
> 1989, Document P802.3I/D6) consists of a transmission of a single
> positive pulse, 100 nanoseconds in duration, every
> 24 to 150 milliseconds in the absence of transmit traffic. The 10BASE-T
  ^^    ^^^
  ||     |
  \\-------- These numbers should be 8 and 24 milliseconds, respectively.
             The previous numbers refer to certain link test timer limits.

In article <12030@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, rnicovic@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ralph Nicovich) writes:

> It is my understanding that HP's Starlan-10 and UB's Access/one
> was a joint development. I have the twisted pair adapters for both
> and they look identical (inside and out) except for the LOGO.
> I haven't seen AT&T's starlan but it is my understanding it is
> the same as HP's.

As one of the developers of AT&T's STARLAN 10 products I can assure you that
the development effort was done our own way.

The development of STARLAN 10 was based solely upon the information
received from the 10BASE-T standard writing process, independent of
any other pre-10BASE-T standard product from other companies.

pat@hprnd.HP.COM (Pat Thaler) (06/17/89)

Bob Morgan writes:

> Here's a quote from the front page of the 10BASE-T draft dated April
> 7, 1989:
>
> > This is an unappproved draft which is subject to change and cannot be
> > presumed to reflect the position of Project 802 or the IEEE, Inc.
> > DO NOT SPECIFY OR CLAIM CONFORMANCE TO THIS DOCUMENT.
>
> To paraphrase Gene Shue, the standard ain't a standard 'til the fat
> lady sings.  If you think you're buying conforming equipment before
> the standard is approved, you're only fooling yourself.
>
>  - RL "Bob" Morgan
>    Networking Systems
>    Stanford
> ----------

This is something that all purchasers should know.  Vendors and the
press tend to use the words "conformant" and "compliant" very loosely.
Any draft standard is a moving target and not a good measure of
compliance.  In buying product now, the important question to ask
the vendor is "How will you support migration to 10BASE-T when the
standard is completed?"

As Mark Darby points out, 10BASE-T is a definition of a new
MAU/transciever (802.3/Ethernet terminology).  As such, the interface
between the MAU/transceiver and the DTE/station is the AUI.  This
interface is already defined in 802.3 section 7.  Since the interface
is already defined, there should be no interoperation problems
between well designed pre-standard 10BASE-T-like products and
existing DTEs or repeater.

The 10BASE-T draft defines the interface between the MAUs and
the behavior of the MAUs.  That interface is where the questions
of interoperability between pre-standard products and 10BASE-T
products arise.  Mark Darby's comments on link test and the
current status of 10BASE-T draft are accurate.

10BASE-T MAUs support a point-to-point links which are usually
connected together through multi-port repeaters (see section 9
in the 802.3 Supplement, not the original section 9).  If one only
needs to support two stations, two MAUs could be connected with
no repeater.  Make sure the receive pair of one MAU goes to the
transmit connection of the other.

Because 10BASE-T uses repeaters as the hub of the star, you can
use a coax or fiber-optic backbone to join the stars togeather.
10BASE-T segments can be added to existing networks.  This is
also true for pre-standard products which use repeaters as hubs.

Products designed to support 100 m of cable reliably will often
support longer distances if you try one instance.  After all when
we do the designs we have to allow for variations in MAU components
and cables.  The problems are:

  If you install it that way 100 times it may work 9 out of 10.

  It may work fine some days and not others.  Temperature variations
  and noise variations may degrade performance.  Degraded performance
  includes high bit error rate or not working at all.

There are lower attenuation twisted pair cables available if you
want to support more than 100 m.  Or you can put in a repeater.
Or use fiber which supports 1 Km or more.

Pat Thaler
916-785-4538

My comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the opinions
of the 10BASE-T task force.  (So are my spellings.  I was in a hurry
and probably left some typos behind.)

pag@tcsc3b2.UUCP (Philip A. Gross) (06/21/89)

In article <19449@cup.portal.com>, John_Robert_Breeden@cup.portal.com writes:
> >We're in the market for Ethernet over twisted pair products.  The
> >guys from AT&T want to sell us Starlan-10 (surprise!) but I have a few
> >questions about compatibility with Ethernet in general and 10BASET in
> >particular:

You will find that the AT&T StarLAN 10 hardware is in fact Ethernet Network.
The StarLAN software which you may purchase from AT&T uses the OSI Transport
Layer instead of TCP/IP.  Of course, you could implement your network using
TCP/IP, if you chose to do so.  But beware, TCP/IP from AT&T is mucho $$$
and is the Wollongong TCP/IP (gug), and for the AT&T 3B2, it is available
ONLY from AT&T (darn!).

Proof of point:

I implemented an Ethernet Network using the AT&T StarLAN hardware with an
NCR 32/650 Tower as a server.  The Tower used Excelan's Ethernet board and
TCP/IP as the transport layer.  At the end of the transceiver cable was an
AUI from which UTP cable was led to the StarLAN 10 HUB.  From the HUB we
connected a number of PC's with AT&T StarLAN 10 NAU cards over UTP.

Now the network software was an interesting task, to say the least.  With
AT&T's StarLAN 10, they nicely bundle all of the software and document (?)
the installation of it so that it is a fairly straight-forward task to get
the network operational.  Well, since we were using an NCR Tower, we were
not able to use any of the AT&T StarLAN software, particularly since I was
unable to find the OSI transport layer for it.  We also needed the
capability to mount virtual drives on the PC's to certain directories on
the NCR Tower, ie, a RFS/NFS look and feel.  Well, in order to do this, we
obtained PC/TCP from FTP Software for the PC.  This completed the TCP/IP
transport layer interface end-to-end.  Next, in order to provide the
functionality of RFS, we installed Syntax's SMB Server on the NCR Tower
and 10Net Communications 10Net+ Software on the PC's.  Through SMB
protocols, this software permitted us to link virtual disk drives on the
PC's to certain directories on the Tower.

Through the use of all of this software, not only is the PC user able
to use the disk storage and file sharing capabilities of the NCR Tower
but they were also able to hot key in telnet to provide them access to
a login on the NCR Tower.  PC/TCP also comes with a version of tar
which permits the user to back the hard disk on the PC to the streaming
tape drive on the NCR Tower.

All-in-all, it was a very interesting task taking approx. 2-3 months to
research, purchase, and install.  Any questions, drop me a note.

Philip A. Gross       The Computer Solution Co., Inc.       Voice: 804-794-3491
INTERNET:	pag@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com
USENET:		tcsc3b2!pag
UUCP:		tcsc3b2!pag	(804)794-1514
ATTMAIL:	attmail!tcsc3b2!pag
        The opinions expressed here are strictly mine and nobody elses.
        << I haven't heard what I have to say about that yet. >> :-)

In article <2230006@hprnd.HP.COM> pat@hprnd.HP.COM (Pat Thaler) writes:
>...In buying product now, the important question to ask
>the vendor is "How will you support migration to 10BASE-T when the
>standard is completed?"

You know, I'd really like to see at least one vendor reply to that question
with "we won't, since we think twisted-pair Ethernet is a dumb idea and
totally unnecessary".  I don't expect that anyone's marketing department
will let them get away with that, though...

IEEE is showing a depressing pattern of being unable to say no to any
proposal for a new standard.  I realize the politics involved make this
hard to fix, but it could use fixing.
--
NASA is to spaceflight as the  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
US government is to freedom.   | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

morgan@Jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) (06/22/89)

Henry Spencer writes:

> You know, I'd really like to see at least one vendor reply to that
> question with "we won't, since we think twisted-pair Ethernet is a
> dumb idea and totally unnecessary".  I don't expect that anyone's
> marketing department will let them get away with that, though...

Well, Henry, I invite you to come and submit a cost-effective Ethernet
design for our central campus, including connections to a few hundred
faculty offices.  If you want thin coax, remember to factor in the
cost of asbestos removal from every ceiling and crawlspace.  Don't
forget you'll also have to pass your thinnet design past the
architectural review board that won't allow molding to be run in the
hallways or in many of the rooms.  Can you see why twisted-pair
Ethernet makes sense to (some of) us?

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (06/22/89)

In article <1989Jun21.155639.21593@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> You know, I'd really like to see at least one vendor reply to that question
> with "we won't, since we think twisted-pair Ethernet is a dumb idea and
> totally unnecessary".  I don't expect that anyone's marketing department
> will let them get away with that, though...

While I wouldn't especially mind one vendor's taking that stand, I
would certainly steel clear of any who did!  Fortunately, if one
vendor decided not to support twisted-pair ethernet, others would
continue to support it.

We sell, install, and service networked personal computers.  We
usually install them in existing older buildings.  Today, most of
these buildings are full of disused telephone wiring, left over when
the 1A2 key telephone system was replaced by a modern system.  The
major cost of installing a system is neither the wire nor the
network components, it's the labor involved in running the wire.  If
there is existing twisted-pair in the ceilings, walls, and equipment
closets, it reduces the overall  cost of installing a network by a
factor of more than 50%!  And it works!  It may not be technically
elegant, but it under-sells coax every time.

That is not a dumb idea.

That is not totally unnecessary.

--
Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (06/22/89)

In <1989Jun21.155639.21593@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> You know, I'd really like to see at least one vendor reply to that question
> with "we won't, since we think twisted-pair Ethernet is a dumb idea and
> totally unnecessary".

	Why do you say that?  Aside from the fact that I don't believe it
can possibly work (just like I don't believe it's possible to build 9600
baud dial-up modems :-)), I think it's a grand idea.  Makes good use of
existing wiring and related technology.  Not to mention trivial advantages
like there are conduits set in the concrete in our building going to every
room designed for phone lines.  I can almost always snake another run of
4-pair twisted phone line through one of them if I have to, but running an
Ethernet tranciever cable means knocking holes in cinderblock walls, and
even RG-fifty-whateveritis can somtimes mean getting the drills and chisels
out.  What's your beef with twisted-pair Ethernet?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

In article <3077@portia.Stanford.EDU> morgan@Jessica.UUCP (RL "Bob" Morgan) writes:
>Well, Henry, I invite you to come and submit a cost-effective Ethernet
>design for our central campus... [subject to troublesome constraints]

Well, in return, I invite you to come and submit a cost-effective twisted-
pair Ethernet design for connecting my apartment to my workplace.  It's
only a couple of kilometers away, surely an unimportant constraint... :-)

Standards should not be expected to solve everyone's problems.  Apart from
some general dislike for the idea, standardizing twisted-pair Ethernet
simply seems to me to be premature -- all the schemes are new enough that
nobody has a good idea of which works best, as witness the wrangling over
which one to adopt.  If the current mania for standardizing everything
immediately continues, our successors will curse our memories.

	"Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can,
	improve the solutions, and pass them on.  It is our respon-
	sibility to leave the people of the future a free hand.  In
	the impetuous youth of humanity, we can make grave errors
	that can stunt our growth for a long time.  This we will do
	if we say we have the answers now, so young and ignorant as
	we are.  If we suppress all discussion, all criticism, pro-
	claiming "This is the answer, my friends; man is saved!" we
	will doom humanity for a long time to the chains of authority,
	confined to the limits of our present imagination..."

						- Richard Feynman
--

pat@hprnd.HP.COM (Pat Thaler) (06/23/89)

henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

> You know, I'd really like to see at least one vendor reply to that question
> with "we won't, since we think twisted-pair Ethernet is a dumb idea and
> totally unnecessary".  I don't expect that anyone's marketing department
> will let them get away with that, though...
>
> IEEE is showing a depressing pattern of being unable to say no to any
> proposal for a new standard.  I realize the politics involved make this
> hard to fix, but it could use fixing.
> ----------

The IEEE 802.3 Working Group uses 5 Criteria to determine if a new
standard should be developed.  They are:

Broad Market Potential
  Will the proposal serve a broad set(s) of applications?
  Will the proposal be used by many users and supported by multiple vendors?
Compatability with IEEE Standard 802.3
  Conformance with IEEE 802.3 MAC and PLS
  Conformance with IEEE 802.2
Distinct Identity
  Substantially different from other 802.3 specifications/solutions
  Does fill the needs of an application area not served by other
   802.3 specifications?
Technical Feasibility
  Demonstrated feasibility
  Confidence in reliability
Economic Feasibility
  Reasonable cost for performance expected
  Total installation costs considered

There have been proposals which were rejected as not meeting these
criteria.  In some of those cases, proponents modified their proposals
and the revised proposals were accepted.

At times, several similar proposals were brought to IEEE 802.3.  Under
the pressure of the Distinct Identity criteria, the proponents worked
together to develop a single joint proposal.

The additions to the original standard which IEEE 802.3 has developed
or is developing have been of two types:  Support of additional media,
e.g. twisted-pair and fiber-optics; and additional capabilities,
e.g. network management and conformance test.

Some people feel as Mr. Spencer does.  Others feel that IEEE 802.3
makes it too hard to start a new addition and that the process
of showing that the criteria are satisfied takes too long.  In my
opinion, the process results in better additions to the standard due to
the examining the objectives and synthesizing the ideas of the
participants.

In March of 1988, IEEE 802.3 decided that the 10BASE-T proposal
met the 5 criteria.  10BASE-T and 10BASE-F (fiber optic) should
allow 802.3 networks to be installed in buildings wired in accordance
with EIA 41.8, a standard currently under development for
building wiring.

Pat Thaler

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of
the 10BASE-T Task Force.

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (06/23/89)

In article <244@tcsc3b2.UUCP>, pag@tcsc3b2.UUCP (Philip A. Gross) writes:
> obtained PC/TCP from FTP Software for the PC.  This completed the TCP/IP
> transport layer interface end-to-end.  Next, in order to provide the
> functionality of RFS, we installed Syntax's SMB Server on the NCR Tower
> and 10Net Communications 10Net+ Software on the PC's.  Through SMB
> protocols, this software permitted us to link virtual disk drives on the
> PC's to certain directories on the Tower.

In the near future, OEM versions of PC/TCP will be available from both AT&T
and 10Net/DCA.  I believe that both versions will contain all the applications
we ship to customers who buy from us direct.  We also sell a version of
LANWatch for the AT&T NAU card (one version runs on any of Ethernet, Starlan
or Starlan-10).

--
James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

ncpjmw@amdcad.AMD.COM (Mike Wincn) (06/24/89)

You know, there must be SOMETHING about living in a Zoo that alters one's
sense of logic and reason.  In one article, henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry
"Flat Earth Delegate" Spencer) writes:

>In article <2230006@hprnd.HP.COM> pat@hprnd.HP.COM (Pat Thaler) writes:
>>...In buying product now, the important question to ask
>>the vendor is "How will you support migration to 10BASE-T when the
>>standard is completed?"

>You know, I'd really like to see at least one vendor reply to that question
>with "we won't, since we think twisted-pair Ethernet is a dumb idea and
>totally unnecessary".

... so, Spencer is not interested in alternative, cost effective LAN solutions,
and then in a following article he writes:

>Well, in return, I invite you to come and submit a cost-effective twisted-
>pair Ethernet design for connecting my apartment to my workplace.  It's
>only a couple of kilometers away, surely an unimportant constraint... :-)

Instead of an investigation of feasability, or request for factual information,
or logical argument to refute, he offers a taunt.

Perhaps someone should instead check Mr. Spencer for leaking lobotomy scars.

>Standards should not be expected to solve everyone's problems.  Apart from
>some general dislike for the idea, standardizing twisted-pair Ethernet
>simply seems to me to be premature -- all the schemes are new enough that
>nobody has a good idea of which works best, as witness the wrangling over
>which one to adopt.  If the current mania for standardizing everything
>immediately continues, our successors will curse our memories.

Intents of standardizing include, among others, ensuring operability of the
system in its electrical environment and interoperability among various
vendors.  Operability is reviewed by the people who draft the standard, and
I have yet to hear of any system that completed the standards development
process and wound up not functional.  Satisfaction of the constraints of
interoperability ensures that one can't bring down the net merely by attaching
some random vendor's product.  Apparently, these concepts are foreign to
Mr. Spencer.

I have never heard anyone suggest that standards attempt to "...solve
everyones's problems" and some standard is certainly preferrable to
the chaos that would follow a situation where anyone with the manufacturing
capability could offer any variation of LAN implementation he chose.

Mr. Spencer's arguments are, at best, specious and uninformed.

Mike Wincn
ncpjmw@amdcad.AMD.COM
(408) 749-3156

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed are my own, not necessarily those of my employer,
nor those of 802.3 Committee or 10BASE-T Task Force.

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (06/24/89)

In article <26097@amdcad.AMD.COM>, ncpjmw@amdcad.AMD.COM (Mike Wincn) writes:
> ...flames about Henry Spencer's irritation with the new twisted pair standard
>
> Mike Wincn
> ncpjmw@amdcad.AMD.COM
> (408) 749-3156

It does seem that at least some versions of twisted pair ethernet
are quite handy.  They are clearly easier to install, maintain, and
so forth.  Maybe it is time to have a Standard for them.  It would
certainly be nicer if there were fewer versions then already exist.
Maybe there was a little intemperance in the original irritation.

However, after the votes for less than compelling changes taken in the
X3T9.5 FDDI SMT meeting on Wednesday, I am a little puzzled by someone from
AMD defending the standards process.  Can the FORMAC capture the 6 byte
info field in the newly required "directed beacon"?  If not, how might one
build a network manager with the "SUPERNET Family for FDDI"?  (I understand
the FORMAC can at least send them, unlike the silicon of a big computer
computer vendor.)

Remembering milestones like "Extended BASIC" or "COBOL80" should be enough
to make anyone unenthusiastic about standardization efforts before the
market place has spoken.  All too often, the process is turned into
a way to increase employeement for consultants and a way for
companies who are late to penalize those which had their act more
together.

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com

sdjmc@amdcad.AMD.COM (John McCool) (06/25/89)

In article <36666@sgi.SGI.COM> vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) writes:

>However, after the votes for less than compelling changes taken in the
>X3T9.5 FDDI SMT meeting on Wednesday, I am a little puzzled by someone from
>AMD defending the standards process.  Can the FORMAC capture the 6 byte
>info field in the newly required "directed beacon"?  If not, how might one
>build a network manager with the "SUPERNET Family for FDDI"?  (I understand
>the FORMAC can at least send them, unlike the silicon of a big computer
>computer vendor.)

I would like to clarify the operation of FDDI rings during recovery to
avoid confusion. The short answer to Vernon's question is Yes.

Here's the long answer:

AMD's SUPERNET chipset for FDDI is capable of sending
directed beacons during ring recovery. In addition, the chip set WILL
receive beacons in buffer memory if the destination address
matches the node's address (or is a broadcast).

The FDDI MAC State Machines, however, may
prevent reception of ANY FRAME during the ring recovery process. During
ring recovery, the token passing protocol for transmission no longer holds.
Several stations on the ring may be transmitting (beacons, claims,
etc.) Under these conditions, an FDDI station will stop transmission on
reception of a beacon frame. Subsequent directed beacons arriving before TMAX
time will be received and repeated.

Note that normal 'failed claim' beacons are not
received by stations as their destination address = null. This is done
to prevent buffer overflows during non-fatal physical layer reconfigurations.

John McCool
Advanced Micro Devices
802.3 Network Products
(408)749-2302

ncpjmw@amdcad.AMD.COM (Mike Wincn) (06/26/89)

In article <36666@sgi.SGI.COM> vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) writes:
<However, after the votes for less than compelling changes taken in the
<X3T9.5 FDDI SMT meeting on Wednesday, I am a little puzzled by someone from
<AMD defending the standards process.  Can the FORMAC capture the 6 byte
<info field in the newly required "directed beacon"?  If not, how might one
<build a network manager with the "SUPERNET Family for FDDI"?  (I understand
<the FORMAC can at least send them, unlike the silicon of a big computer
<computer vendor.)

I'm not as acquainted with the FDDI program as I am with 10BASE-T.  If I can
get an answer for you, I'll reply later...

<Remembering milestones like "Extended BASIC" or "COBOL80" should be enough
<to make anyone unenthusiastic about standardization efforts before the
<market place has spoken.  All too often, the process is turned into
<a way to increase employeement for consultants and a way for
<companies who are late to penalize those which had their act more
<together.
<
<Vernon Schryver
<Silicon Graphics
<vjs@sgi.com

I can see that as a possible result, but I've not had any personal experience
along those lines.  For 10BASE-T our primary concerns include feasibility and
interoperability, and while AMD joined this standard development later than
others, our goals have not included penalizing anyone.  Our preference at this
stage is to offer silicon expertise in joint development with those who have
superior systems knowledge.

Mike Wincn
ncpjmw@amdcad.AMD.COM
(408) 749-3156

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed are my own, not necessarily those of my employer,
nor those of 802.3 Committee or 10BASE-T Task Force.

In article <26097@amdcad.AMD.COM> ncpjmw@amdcad.AMD.COM (Mike Wincn) writes:
>You know, there must be SOMETHING about living in a Zoo that alters one's
>sense of logic and reason...

Fortunately I don't live in one (although I work in a Zoology department,
which is almost as bad...) ;-)

>... so, Spencer is not interested in alternative, cost effective LAN solutions

I prefer solutions which don't involve serious technical compromises; last
I heard, any twisted-pair 10Mbps network did.  (I admit to not being familiar
with the twisted-pair-Ethernet-proposal-of-the-week.)

>>Well, in return, I invite you to come and submit a cost-effective twisted-
>>pair Ethernet design for connecting my apartment to my workplace.  It's
>>only a couple of kilometers away, surely an unimportant constraint... :-)
>
>Instead of an investigation of feasability, or request for factual information,
>or logical argument to refute, he offers a taunt.

It was a satire on your argument, which essentially read "the usual standards
don't solve *my* problem, therefore a new standard is needed".

>I have yet to hear of any system that completed the standards development
>process and wound up not functional...

I can think of some that have never been implemented in their full form.
I can think of others that are widely implemented, except that everybody
ignores the stupid parts and does things right instead.  I don't know what
you consider "not functional", but these come close.  And people whose
opinions I consider reliable are seriously worried about some of the current
mania, especially in Europe, for standardizing things that have never been
tried and whose practicality is very unclear.

There is also no shortage of standards that are functional, but verifiably
inferior in essentially every way to the previous de-facto standards.

>I have never heard anyone suggest that standards attempt to "...solve
>everyones's problems" and some standard is certainly preferrable to
>the chaos that would follow a situation where anyone with the manufacturing
>capability could offer any variation of LAN implementation he chose.

My contention is not that LAN standards are unnecessary, but that at
10 Mbps we have enough -- indeed, too many -- of them already.  We would
be better served by one or two *good* ones than by standardizing every
variation anyone's marketing department can think of.
--

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (06/27/89)

In article <26111@amdcad.AMD.COM>, sdjmc@amdcad.AMD.COM (John McCool) writes:

> AMD's SUPERNET chipset for FDDI is capable of sending
> directed beacons during ring recovery. In addition, the chip set WILL
> receive beacons in buffer memory if the destination address
> matches the node's address (or is a broadcast).
>
> John McCool
> Advanced Micro Devices
> 802.3 Network Products
> (408)749-2302

That is encouraging.  Since the new directed beacon is to a "multicast
address", will a network manager using AMD's SUPERNET have to go into
promiscuous mode to receive the beacon?  Or have external address detect
hardware?  Of course, in the case of the directed beacon, we know we're
stuck at beacon, and so have plenty of time to reset the FORMAC into
promiscuous mode.

Please note that the original topic was standards processes.  It looks as
if AMD survived Wednesday's change, aside from the hassle of promiscuous
mode.  However, there are plenty of SMT meetings left where the problem
that AMD's current silicon is usable can be fixed.  Not that anyone with
much memory needs more evidence of the dangers of standards meetings.

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com

ncpjmw@amdcad.AMD.COM (Mike Wincn) (06/27/89)

In article <1989Jun26.163706.1078@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>I prefer solutions which don't involve serious technical compromises; last
>I heard, any twisted-pair 10Mbps network did.  (I admit to not being familiar
>with the twisted-pair-Ethernet-proposal-of-the-week.)

I don't understand what you consider a 'serious technical compromise', unless
you are truly concerned with getting to your office from home with exclusive
use of twisted pairs.  Every communication medium has some kind of limitation,
and the market generally decides which best suits the application (or, if
you prefer, which causes the least pain).  The last thing an end user needs
is a plethora of differnet choices with none of them compatible.  If no one
was interested in compatibility, standards would all be ignored.

It has been stated that 10BASE-T is intended to circumvent the less cost-
effective (and thus 'painful') choices of Tolken-Ring and COAX Ethernet.  It
has also been stated that a strong market already exists for Twisted Pair
LAN (though perhaps not mentioned in this newsgroup).

[...comments about cost effective twisted pair from his home to his office,
	deleted..]

>It was a satire on your argument, which essentially read "the usual standards
>don't solve *my* problem, therefore a new standard is needed".

I make no such claim.  My point is that there a many vendors who already
offer a version of Twst.Pr. Ethernet, and many others who are ready to do
so.  From many reports there exists a strong market desire for such media
access method.  As long as there are going to be many players it makes
perfect sense to me that they should all be compatible at some minimal level.
We could all wait for the market to decide what that minimal level is, but
we then may never be able to take advantage of the reduced interconnect
cost.  We could wait for some one vendor to 'invent' or 'discover' classes
of media access, like 10BASE-T, but then we would have to wait to discover
precisely _what_ will be offered and place trust in diligence and accuracy
of ONE feasibility study (when and _IF_ such study was done).

>>I have yet to hear of any system that completed the standards development
>>process and wound up not functional...
>
>I can think of some that have never been implemented in their full form.
>I can think of others that are widely implemented, except that everybody
>ignores the stupid parts and does things right instead.  I don't know what
>you consider "not functional", but these come close.  And people whose
>opinions I consider reliable are seriously worried about some of the current
>mania, especially in Europe, for standardizing things that have never been
>tried and whose practicality is very unclear.

No one is restricted from deviating from a standard.  Any vendor can offer
any product or combination of products he so chooses in any form that his
manufacturing process allows.  Given a choice between a 'compliant' product
and a 'non-compliant' product, or 'standard' and 'non-standard', which
do you think most end users prefer?  Does it make sense to you that we
SHOULDN'T invoke a process that weeds out those schemes "...whose
practicality is very unclear" ?  Go back and re-read Pat Thaler's comments
on IEEE's standards process.

'Not functional' means 'doesn't work', even in its most basic form.  Clearly,
if some standard exists for a system which doesn't work, buyers are free to
take their dollars (yen, guilders, marks, etc.) elsewhere.  No one system is
completely perfect or satisfies all needs, else we'd only HAVE one.  You're
looking for one or two perfect media access methods?  I have some advice for
you:  Get used to disappointment.  You want exclusive use of COAX and Tolken
Ring?  Hang on a little longer - there'll be plenty of spare hardware for
you to buy.

>There is also no shortage of standards that are functional, but verifiably
>inferior in essentially every way to the previous de-facto standards.

Okay, I'll bite... verify it.

[...]
>My contention is not that LAN standards are unnecessary, but that at
>10 Mbps we have enough -- indeed, too many -- of them already.  We would
>be better served by one or two *good* ones than by standardizing every
>variation anyone's marketing department can think of.

...and there once were people who thought that the world was flat, and that
there was no need to consider any other possibility.

Mike Wincn
ncpjmw@amdcad.AMD.COM
(408) 749-3156

In article <26135@amdcad.AMD.COM> ncpjmw@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Wincn) writes:
>... My point is that there a many vendors who already
>offer a version of Twst.Pr. Ethernet, and many others who are ready to do
>so.  From many reports there exists a strong market desire for such media
>access method.  As long as there are going to be many players it makes
>perfect sense to me that they should all be compatible at some minimal level.

Provided that we understand the tradeoffs involved and the technical
alternatives.  It is not at all clear to me that there is enough real,
live experience with the hardware to justify that.

>... Does it make sense to you that we
>SHOULDN'T invoke a process that weeds out those schemes "...whose
>practicality is very unclear" ?

I think such a process would be great, if it existed.  The current
standards process does not consistently do this.  IEEE, to give them
credit, often does okay.  That's not universally true of other standards
bodies, unfortunately.

Actually, there is such a process:  real world experience with hardware.
Standardization should be based on that, rather than trying to anticipate
it.

>>There is also no shortage of standards that are functional, but verifiably
>>inferior in essentially every way to the previous de-facto standards.
>
>Okay, I'll bite... verify it.

The lower layers of ISO networking, versus TCP/IP.

(The ISO folks do seem to be doing some useful things at higher levels.
One could wish they would concentrate on that and leave the lower ones
alone.)

>>... we have enough -- indeed, too many -- of them already.  We would
>>be better served by one or two *good* ones than by standardizing every
>>variation anyone's marketing department can think of.
>
>...and there once were people who thought that the world was flat, and that
>there was no need to consider any other possibility.

And surprise surprise, once the dust settled -- as the result of real-world
experience, not theological pontification -- one and only one possibility
turned out to be useful and correct.  Do *you* feel any need to consider
the possibility that the world might be flat? :-)
--

ncpjmw@amdcad.AMD.COM (Mike Wincn) (06/29/89)

In article <1989Jun27.165911.1613@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <26135@amdcad.AMD.COM> ncpjmw@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Wincn) writes:
[...]
>>access method.  As long as there are going to be many players it makes
>>perfect sense to me that they should all be compatible at some minimal level.
>
>Provided that we understand the tradeoffs involved and the technical
>alternatives.  It is not at all clear to me that there is enough real,
>live experience with the hardware to justify that.

Granted.  How can I make this more clear?  AT&T, DEC, HP, SynOptics, and many
others provided a small mountain of technical data on TwstPr Ethernet over
the course of draft standard development.  The data consisted of combinations
of theoretical analysis, computer simulation, and _measured performance_ on
_real hardware_ in _existing installations_.  In many cases measured
performance was indistinguishable from simulation and/or theory.  In cases
where there was an observable difference, further work concluded that some
of those differences were not significant enough to warrant concern.  Where
concern was warranted, the draft was modified to reflect that concern.

I don't know how else I can convince you, other than by wheeling a lab setup
and 'scope cart into your office.

My understanding is that TwstPr Ethernet systems have been in use in various
sites for at least a year, and the market has shown little, if any, sign of
reluctance to continue.  And I'm talking production quantities, not some
tweaky, onesey/twosey thing that some technician threw together in a lab
one otherwise boring afternoon...

(And before you ask, go call AT&T, DEC, HP, SynOptics, etc., etc.)

>>... Does it make sense to you that we
>>SHOULDN'T invoke a process that weeds out those schemes "...whose
>>practicality is very unclear" ?
>
>I think such a process would be great, if it existed.  The current
>standards process does not consistently do this.  IEEE, to give them
>credit, often does okay.  That's not universally true of other standards
>bodies, unfortunately.

others catch up to reality.  In the meantime, no one isforced to buy anything.
My disagreement is with uninformed conclusions.

[...]
>>>There is also no shortage of standards that are functional, but verifiably
>>>inferior in essentially every way to the previous de-facto standards.
>>
>>Okay, I'll bite... verify it.
>
>The lower layers of ISO networking, versus TCP/IP.

...so I'm told.  Re-read my earlier comments.  Maybe a message will start to
sink in.

>>>... we have enough -- indeed, too many -- of them already.  We would
>>>be better served by one or two *good* ones than by standardizing every
>>>variation anyone's marketing department can think of.
>>
>>...and there once were people who thought that the world was flat, and that
>>there was no need to consider any other possibility.
>
>And surprise surprise, once the dust settled -- as the result of real-world
>experience, not theological pontification -- one and only one possibility
>turned out to be useful and correct.  Do *you* feel any need to consider
>the possibility that the world might be flat? :-)

If you really understood my points, you already know the answer.

Mike Wincn
ncpjmw@amdcad.AMD.COM
(408) 749-3156