[comp.dcom.lans] x-window on dos or os/2

gblee@maui.cs.ucla.edu (06/20/89)

Hi! folks!
Does anybody know any X-window or similar powerful window software
which is runing on Dos or Os/2? Any pointer will be appreciated.
Please e-mail me. Thank you.
--Geunbae Lee, AI-UCLA

griefer@ibmarc.uucp (Allan D. Griefer) (06/21/89)

In a recent append, gblee@CS.UCLA.EDU () writes...
>Does anybody know any X-window or similar powerful window software
>which is runing on Dos or Os/2? ...

IBM offers IBM X-Windows for IBM DOS, program number 5709-029.  I hope this
helps.

Opinions are strictly my own,
Allan D. Griefer,       IBM Almaden Research Center, San Jose, CA
BITNET: GRIEFER at ALMADEN              Internet: griefer@ibm.com
UUCP: ...!uunet!ibmarc!griefer

dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon(0000)) (06/30/89)

In article <903@ks.UUCP> griefer@ibmarc.UUCP (Allan D. Griefer) writes:
>IBM offers IBM X-Windows for IBM DOS, program number 5709-029.  I hope this
>helps.
>
>Allan D. Griefer,       IBM Almaden Research Center, San Jose, CA

This sounds like a huge nightmare.  What are the system requirements for
the DOS Machine?

I was under the impression that X was very large and precessor intensive for
your average unix machine.  I would think it would drop a 20 Mhz Model 80 to
its knees!

Tom Dixon
uunet!pdn!dixon

rogers@falcon.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (06/30/89)

In article <6327@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon) writes:
>In article <903@ks.UUCP> griefer@ibmarc.UUCP (Allan D. Griefer) writes:
>>IBM offers IBM X-Windows for IBM DOS, program number 5709-029.  I hope this
>>helps.

>>Allan D. Griefer,       IBM Almaden Research Center, San Jose, CA

>This sounds like a huge nightmare.  What are the system requirements for
>the DOS Machine?

>I was under the impression that X was very large and precessor intensive for
>your average unix machine.  I would think it would drop a 20 Mhz Model 80 to
>its knees!

We have Graphics Software systems PC-XVIEW up and running on a compaq 386/25.
I takes about 500k to run (after all the various drivers are loaded,
your mileage will vary) and really smokes!  it is designed for a 286, so
It probably works tolerably fast on one of those. Believe it or not,
it will even work with EGA.  it works with most of the 800x600 super-VGAs,
but we use DGIS (Nec MVA1024-- a TI 34010 with 1024x768).

I haven't used X a whole lot yet, but it's operation is apparently faster than
a 3/60.

Gotchas: you have to have a exelan lan board (TCP/IP in ROM) 800-900 $$
         (they have/almost have a version for other boards, it is in beta)

	 even though your VGA or DGIS can handle 256 colors in their max
resolution modes, the drivers can only handle 16 colors.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with GSS.

 Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC        rogers@src.honeywell.com
                                       nic.MR.net!srcsip!rogers

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (06/30/89)

In article <6327@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon) writes:
>In article <903@ks.UUCP> griefer@ibmarc.UUCP (Allan D. Griefer) writes:
>>IBM offers IBM X-Windows for IBM DOS, program number 5709-029.  I hope this
>>helps.
>
>This sounds like a huge nightmare.  What are the system requirements for
>the DOS Machine?
>
>I was under the impression that X was very large and precessor intensive for
>your average unix machine.  I would think it would drop a 20 Mhz Model 80 to
>its knees!

That is true, if you were running both the client programs and the
server on the DOS machine.  I am certain the IBM product is only a X
server and does not provide the capability of running clients on the
DOS machine.  You have to connect the DOS box up to a UNIX host
running X before the product will be usable.  You are correct that X
provides quite a burden for DOS.  Most X servers that run under DOS
will not support a large number of windows, even with the clients
running on the UNIX box.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

smvorkoetter@watmum.waterloo.edu (Stefan M. Vorkoetter) (07/01/89)

In article <6327@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon) writes:
>In article <903@ks.UUCP> griefer@ibmarc.UUCP (Allan D. Griefer) writes:
>
>I was under the impression that X was very large and precessor intensive for
>your average unix machine.  I would think it would drop a 20 Mhz Model 80 to
>its knees!

I am currently running X-Windows on my 25MHz Model 70 under AIX with
no speed problems at all.  As a matter of fact, it appears much faster
than my supervisor's SUN 3/60.

Stefan Vorkoetter
Waterloo Maple Software
watmath!wmsimum!stefan

Dion_L_Johnson@cup.portal.com (07/01/89)

Tom Dixon wrote:
-In article <903@ks.UUCP> griefer@ibmarc.UUCP (Allan D. Griefer) writes:
->IBM offers IBM X-Windows for IBM DOS, program number 5709-029.  I hope this
->helps.
->Allan D. Griefer,       IBM Almaden Research Center, San Jose, CA
-This sounds like a huge nightmare.  What are the system requirements for
-the DOS Machine?
-I was under the impression that X was very large and precessor intensive for
-your average unix machine.  I would think it would drop a 20 Mhz Model 80 to
-its knees!
-Tom Dixon
-uunet!pdn!dixon

I've been playing with SCO's implementation of X on the 386 (the
"Open Desktop" product) and it seems to perform OK.  If you're a real
speeder, you will be interested in the X-server-on-a-coprocessor-board
implementations which are planned by some of the graphics board
companies.  Of course, the 386 is not a wimp CPU, but
even so, I have to conclude that the X architecture is reasonably
efficient.

Dion L Johnson

stank@anvil.WV.TEK.COM (Stan Kalinowski) (07/05/89)

In article <24828@srcsip.UUCP> rogers@falcon.UUCP (Brynn Rogers) writes:

>>I was under the impression that X was very large and precessor intensive for
>>your average unix machine.  I would think it would drop a 20 Mhz Model 80 to
>>its knees!
>
>We have Graphics Software systems PC-XVIEW up and running on a compaq 386/25.
>I takes about 500k to run (after all the various drivers are loaded,
>your mileage will vary) and really smokes!  it is designed for a 286, so
>It probably works tolerably fast on one of those. Believe it or not,
>it will even work with EGA.  it works with most of the 800x600 super-VGAs,
>but we use DGIS (Nec MVA1024-- a TI 34010 with 1024x768).

We have PC-XVIEW up on a IBM-PC AT with an EGA graphics adapter.
While the fact that it runs at all in 640K bytes of ram is impressive,
I personally would not want to be forced to use it all day long.  It's
too slow and the screen resolution is too low.  I should temper this
remark by stating that I normally use a 20 MHz 68020 Unix workstation
with 16 Mb of system ram and a high resolution (1376x1024) display,
and so my opinions are biased against smaller/slower machines.  I
suspect that a 386 and a graphics board that has some sort of
accelerator (e.g. the DGIS) is the minimum practical configuration for
PC-XVIEW.  Of course, such a system would probably run Unix and X just
fine, so why bother with MS-DOS? :-) (no flames, please!)

								stank
US Mail: Stan Kalinowski, Tektronix, Inc., Interactive Technologies Division
         PO Box 1000, MS 61-028, Wilsonville OR 97070   Phone:(503)-685-2458
e-mail:  {ucbvax,decvax,allegra,uw-beaver}!tektronix!orca!stank
    or   stank@orca.WV.TEK.COM

kemnitz@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Gregory Kemnitz) (07/06/89)

In article <665@eecea.eece.ksu.edu> terry@eecea.UUCP (Terry Hull) writes:
>In article <6327@pdn.paradyne.com> dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon) writes:
>>In article <903@ks.UUCP> griefer@ibmarc.UUCP (Allan D. Griefer) writes:
>>>IBM offers IBM X-Windows for IBM DOS, program number 5709-029.  I hope this
                                ^^^^^^^
Isn't this for IBM <Mainframe> DOS, as opposed to MS-DOS??

> [stuff deleted]

----------------------------------+--------------------------------------
Greg Kemnitz                      | Software without hardware is an idea.
kemnitz@Convergent.COM            | Hardware without software is a space heater.

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (07/07/89)

In article <6327@pdn.paradyne.com>, dixon@gumby.paradyne.com (0000-Tom Dixon(0000)) writes:
> This sounds like a huge nightmare.  What are the system requirements for
> the DOS Machine?

Of the three Xs I've used, all run fine in an 8Mhz AT with 640K.  I've
never tried them in a 512K at, or an XT.  The "AX/DS" product HP has
announced has most of the X code in a special display card, so it can
create DOS sub-processes with about 350K available.  The other two
(one a product a vendor never released, the other from GSS) both run
on conventional EGAs.  I can't find the manual for the GSS version,
but the unreleased product uses all of 640K when running.  The unreleased
product did have to leave out a few bells and whistles, like ScreenSaver,
bell-volume control, keyclick control, mouse acceleration control and
"backing store", whatever that is, I don't know about the others.

All three Xs were/are run on top of our PC/TCP transport stack, so
they can be run on any network media or card we support.

--
James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

njs@scifi.UUCP (Nicholas J. Simicich) (07/09/89)

In article <763@mitisft.Convergent.COM> kemnitz@mitisft.UUCP (Greg Kemnitz) writes:
->>>In article <903@ks.UUCP> griefer@ibmarc.UUCP (Allan D. Griefer) writes:
->>>>IBM offers IBM X-Windows for IBM DOS, program number 5709-029.  I hope this
->Isn't this for IBM <Mainframe> DOS, as opposed to MS-DOS??

Nope.  PC/DOS.

--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- njs@ibm.com (Internet)