[comp.dcom.lans] Re^2: x-window on dos or os/2

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (07/01/89)

griefer@ibmarc.uucp (Allan D. Griefer) writes:

>In a recent append, gblee@CS.UCLA.EDU () writes...
>>Does anybody know any X-window or similar powerful window software
>>which is runing on Dos or Os/2? ...

>IBM offers IBM X-Windows for IBM DOS, program number 5709-029.  I hope this
>helps.

       So why don't they advertise it?
---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda                                *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun,dasiy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

wittmann@engr.wisc.edu (art wittmann) (07/07/89)

We had a chance to evalute IBM's X-windows for DOS.  You'll need a 386
machine to get much out of it.  We first tried it on an 8 Mhz AT, you
could open up two windows before things got intolerably slow.  As I recall
3 or 4 windows hung the system.

Our tests weren't extensive, but we did learn a few things:

The product wasn't compatible with Netware drivers (what is?)
The response time was  pretty poor, especially if graphics were used in a
	window (like the load average or analog clock).  Key strokes lagged
	by a second or more.

It works, but we're
Still looking for a good X on DOS....

Art Wittmann wittmann@engr.wisc.edu
             Phone (608) 263-1748

eli@robechq.UUCP ( Robec Horsham PM) (07/15/89)

In article <24@engr.wisc.edu> wittmann@engr.wisc.edu (art wittmann) writes:
>We had a chance to evalute IBM's X-windows for DOS.  You'll need a 386
>machine to get much out of it.  We first tried it on an 8 Mhz AT, you
>could open up two windows before things got intolerably slow.  As I recall
>3 or 4 windows hung the system.

Out of curiosity, were you running the X server on the same box?
I've heard that X runs slow when both client and server are in the
same computer.  (I may have client and server switched, no flames please.)

>The product wasn't compatible with Netware drivers (what is?)

You mean the 'open standard' falls down!!!  :-)

>It works, but we're
>Still looking for a good X on DOS....

Thanks for the info, we're looking too.