[comp.dcom.lans] Looking for any public domain network diagnostic/monitor tools

paul@ppgbms (Paul Evan Matz) (07/17/89)

	I was wondering if someone out there could recommend any good
network diagnostic tools that run on a PC or a Sun, either for cash or
public domain.  I have heard that some things from CMU and MIT exist,
but have no details.  Monitoring of packet sources and destinations,
of various types of protocol, might be handy.  Any tips would be much
appreciated.  (I have played with Sun's traffic program, but it doesn't
seems to do much with packets of the ipx [netware] protocol variety).

	Thanks (wishful thinking)
	Regards,

	Paul Matz
	PPG Biomedical Systems
	One Campus Drive
	Pleasantville, NY. 10570
	914-741-4685
	path ppgbms!moe!paul@philabs.philips.com

heberlei@iris.ucdavis.edu (Todd) (07/18/89)

SORRY TO TAKE UP BANDWIDTH, BUT OUR HOST TABLES ARE NOT THE BEST (THIS
MACHINE IS NOT USING BIND-OR WHATEVER ITS CALLED).  I ALSO THOUGHT
OTHERS MAY BE INTERESTED IN THIS PACKAGE.  READ ON...

In article <9445@ppgbms.UUCP> paul@ppgbms (Paul Evan Matz) writes:

>	I was wondering if someone out there could recommend any good
>network diagnostic tools that run on a PC or a Sun, either for cash or
>public domain.  I have heard that some things from CMU and MIT exist,
>but have no details.  Monitoring of packet sources and destinations,
>of various types of protocol, might be handy.  Any tips would be much
>appreciated.  (I have played with Sun's traffic program, but it doesn't
>seems to do much with packets of the ipx [netware] protocol variety).
>
>	Thanks (wishful thinking)
>	Regards,
>
>	Paul Matz
>	PPG Biomedical Systems
>	One Campus Drive
>	Pleasantville, NY. 10570
>	914-741-4685
>	path ppgbms!moe!paul@philabs.philips.com

NNStat created at USC / Information Sciences Institute under a
contract from the NSF looks like it will do much of what is requested.
Here is the first paragraph from its manual:

    NNstat is a set of programs that comprise a facility for the
    distributed collection of Internet traffic statistics.  This
    facility is designed to support the requirements of a network
    administrator for gathering long-term usage statistics
    simultaneously at many network entry points... [more]

It runs on a Sun under SunOS 3.x and 4.0.  If you are interested, I
guess the best place to contact is the NSF (the package just showed up
on out computer).

ALSO, MANY THANKS TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO RESPONDED TO MY QUESTION
CONCERNING THE NIT INTERFACE UNDER SUN0S 4.0 (for raw sockets)!

--------------
Todd Heberlein
heberlei@iris.ucdavis.edu	128.120.57.20

khj@ecsvax.UUCP (Kenneth H. Jacker) (07/19/89)

In article <9445@ppgbms.UUCP> paul@ppgbms (Paul Evan Matz) writes:

>	I was wondering if someone out there could recommend any good
>network diagnostic tools that run on a PC or a Sun ...
>	..... <lines deleted> .....
>
>	Paul Matz
>	PPG Biomedical Systems
>	One Campus Drive
>	Pleasantville, NY. 10570
>	914-741-4685
>	path ppgbms!moe!paul@philabs.philips.com

	... and I was wondering the same for a Macintosh II.  With
	all the good Mac-based work at the NCSA (telnet, et al),
	not to mentioned Stanford, and others --- there must be
	*something* out there (preferably PD) that will run on
	a Mac.

	Anything -- no matter how simplistic -- would be better
	than what I have now:  NOTHING!

--
Kenneth H. Jacker               Domain:   khj@uncecs.edu
Dept of Math Sciences           BITNET:   khj@ecsvax