[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet Bridge Recommendation?

baw@sharkey.cc.umich.edu (Brian Wolfe) (07/18/89)

I have about $6000 (at most $8000) to bridge 3 standard ethernet subnets,
so far the best deal I can find is on 2 of Retix' low-end bridges that
are rated for 6000 'frames/second'... is that fast enough for joining segments
that have about 10 hosts each?? Security is something of an issue since
there is clinical data on some hosts and research data on others, so I would
like some control over access.

So far I've looked at bridges from Micom, Raycom, Retix and DEC, are there
any other vendors that I should try?

Are there any bridges that I should avoid like the plague?

I would appreciate any recommendations you may have and I will gladly
post a summary to the net!

Thanks,

Brian.

--
Brian Wolfe                    Internet: baw@terminator.cc.umich.edu
Systems Analyst                UUCP:     {rutgers,uunet}!sharkey!brian

morgan@Jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) (07/18/89)

> I have about $6000 (at most $8000) to bridge 3 standard ethernet
> subnets, I have about $6000 (at most $8000) to bridge 3 standard
> ethernet subnets, ... so far I've looked at bridges from Micom,
> Raycom, Retix and DEC, are there any other vendors that I should try?

There are some innaresting new products out there.  A couple of
companies make bridges based on the IBM-PC card form factor, including
Network Application Technology, in Cupertino at 408-733-4530, and
Alantec in Fremont at 415-770-1050.  The NAT unit is a complete 2-port
bridge on a board, so it just uses the PC chassis for power, while the
Alantec uses the PC processor to handle the packets, so you can do
slow and cheap with an 8088 or fast and expensive with a 386.  I think
they're both shipping product these days.  Cabletron also has a new
bridge product out, in the normal sort of package.  All of these are
in the same sort of price range as the low-end Retix, I believe.

Features that are starting to be available in low-end bridges, besides
the low price, are management (preferably IP-based, in our case), and
doing the (or a) spanning-tree algorithm.  It seems we may have to
wait a bit for generally interoperable 802.2 spanning-tree
implementations.

> ... so far the best deal I can find is on 2 of Retix' low-end bridges
> that are rated for 6000 'frames/second'... is that fast enough for
> joining segments that have about 10 hosts each??

The obvious question is what kind of traffic will be going across the
bridges?  If it's just rlogin, then there's certainly no problem.  If
you're doing NFS from diskless Sun clients across a bridge, you might
want to think twice, although we have successfully done that
experimentally across Retix bridges here.

> Security is something of an issue since there is clinical data on some
> hosts and research data on others, so I would like some control over
> access.

My attitude is that depending on a bridge to provide security is like
sawing wood with a hammer.  Are your hosts not secure, or are you
worried about people tapping your cable?  I don't think any of the low
end bridges provide user-manageable filters.

macklin@garnet.berkeley.edu (Macklin Burnham) (07/19/89)

If you can find a copy of last week's Network World (July 17 issue), their
feature article was on ethernet bridges. They included a big chart with
the detailed features and prices of offerings from 25 vendors. This is a
pretty worthwhile publication, BTW.
Mack Burnham

pst@anise.acc.com (Paul Traina) (07/20/89)

baw@sharkey.cc.umich.edu (Brian Wolfe) writes:
>So far I've looked at bridges from Micom, Raycom, Retix and DEC, are there
>any other vendors that I should try?

[WARNING:  I am slightly biased toward this company!]

You are about to read a semi-plug,  the info contained within is not
sanctioned by anyone of any responsibility at ACC.  Cavet emptor.

Advanced Computer Communications makes two lines of bridges,  one is called
the 4030 and the other is the 4110.  The 4110 just had first-customer-ship
last week.  I'm not a member of the Bridge & Router group,  but I have heard
them say all sorts of really nice things about it (and we're not talking
marketing BS either).

I do know the 4110 standard configuration is 1 ethernet link and 2 serial
links (HDLC I believe).  The serial links can clock up to T1 and pass data
up to (don't quote me) 1.3mbits/sec.  I don't know what the filter rate
and flow rate are,  but they're supposedly pretty damn fast.

I do know that it supports all of the wonderful filtering/priority gizmos
that you would expect on a brand new bridge.  It is controllable by a
SNMP (simple network management protocol) station,  and uses STP (spanning
tree protocol) for proper negotiation.  I don't know if the current release
supports transparent spanning protocol (TSP?),  but it may.

The same bridge can be turned into a router or brouter (products not being
shipped yet) just by dropping a new floppy into it.  There is also an
8-link version of the box ready to ship (it's actually 4 4110's glued
together and stuffed in the same box).

Since I only know about dribs and drabs (it is not my baby),  if you want
more (and accurate) info, drop a note to Gary Krall (gary@salt.acc.com),
or Paul Shrieve (paul@salt.acc.com).
who are the marketing guys who know what is going on.

--
    "Calling people sexist because they are into S/M is like calling
     people capitalist because they like to play Monopoly(TM)."