[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet RF X-Switch

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (06/19/89)

In article <908@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk>
hollandm@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Martin Holland) writes:
>I have seen recommendations to fragment a large ethernet backbone by
>the inclusion of RF X switches.  In one position the cable is continuous
>and in the other it is split into two and each side is correctly terminated.
>Has anyone any idea who makes these switches?  Manual or remote control would
>do , but remote control would be preferable.

	In order of cost and convenience:

	We use strategically placed barrel connectors to manually
partition thick Ethernet segments when we have particularly difficult
media problems.  This saves a lot of time finding a small subset of
transceivers to examine closely.

	If you want a remote control to do the same thing, I would
recommend an IEEE-conformant local repeater.  This is completely
automatic, but you still have to go and look at the lights to see what
is wrong.

	If you really want to see what is going on from afar, routers
will tell you a lot.  There may be smart bridges that can do the same.

	I think Experdata, for one, sells a remotely accessible
Ethernet media analyzer that is almost cost effective enough to place
permanently.

	My personal opinion is that careful initial design and
installation performed by the same parties that will do the
maintenance is the first step toward reliable Ethernet service.
Include barrel connectors in the cable plant.  Don't stretch the cable
plant too far in length or node count.  Use IEEE-conformant repeaters
judiciously.  Only then spend the money for other solutions.  Forget
any remote controlled barrel connectors.

	Kent England, Boston University

hollandm@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Martin Holland) (07/22/89)

--
Martin C. Holland       Internal e/mail: HOLLANDM@PHIRHV1