[comp.dcom.lans] email , bulettin boards in a lan

clutx.clarkson.edu (collins anthony g,,,) (07/23/89)

Consider this scenario.
There is a successful consulting company which has adopted computerisation
in a loose fashion. Thus they have collected a lot of PCs (standalone) and
a mini computer. This is an engineering, design oriented firm and is aiming
to put a pc in front of every engineer. The person in charge of this affair
(let us call him X)
is one of the senior project engineers(not a CS major). X is recently into
commercial bulletin boards like CompuServe and is fascinated by the idea
of a bulletin board which links all the company employees and improves
discussion and exchange of information and knowledge among various departments.

Now the questions-
1) Do various LAN suppliers also offer software to implement a bulletin board
   system ?
2) Is it possible to implement Email while networking the PCs?

These questions may seem very naive and I am sorry for that. But given the
 background of the problem can any of you offer any other suggestions.
Please email to k500@clutx.clarkson.edu
thanks

Arun

lars@salt.acc.com (Lars J Poulsen) (07/27/89)

In article <1989Jul22.211058.1702@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> k500@image.soe!clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
> ... a successful [design oriented engineering] consulting company ...
> has ... collected a lot of PCs  (standalone) and a mini computer.
> [They are] aiming to put a pc in front of every engineer.
> The person in charge of this affair ... is fascinated by the idea
> of a bulletin board which links all the company employees and improves
> discussion and exchange of information and knowledge among various
> departments.
>
> Now the questions-
> 1) Do various LAN suppliers also offer software to implement a bulletin board
>    system ?
> 2) Is it possible to implement Email while networking the PCs?

What is the budget ?
Is the minicomputer described above a UNIX system ?

I would adopt a Unix machine to be a mail server, and set up netnews
on it. While the introduction of a full USENET feed into the work
environment could (and should) be controversial, it seems to me that a
"local" newsgroup tree would do most of what you want, and the software
is both cheap and reliable.

A 386-AT clone with XENIX or ISC unix, TCP/IP and ethernet plus a good
sized disk would do the job, almost straight out of the box.

TCP/IP for MS-DOS is about $600/station including an ethernet interface;
a little more with an NFS client. I don't know if there are good POP
(post office protocol) implementations readily available.

Are there better ideas ?

/ Lars Poulsen <lars@salt.acc.com>   (800) 222-7308  or (805) 963-9431 ext 358
  ACC Customer Service              Affiliation stated for identification only
                My employer probably would not agree if he knew what I said !!

rcsmith@anagld.UUCP (Ray Smith) (07/27/89)

>In article <1989Jul22.211058.1702@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> k500@image.soe!clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
> ... a successful [design oriented engineering] consulting company ...
> has ... collected a lot of PCs  (standalone) and a mini computer.
> [They are] aiming to put a pc in front of every engineer.
> The person in charge of this affair ... is fascinated by the idea
> of a bulletin board which links all the company employees and improves
> discussion and exchange of information and knowledge among various
> departments.
>
> Now the questions-
> 1) Do various LAN suppliers also offer software to implement a bulletin board
>    system ?
> 2) Is it possible to implement Email while networking the PCs?

You may want to look at a package called TEAMATE from MMB. It seems to be
a versatile package. From what I understand they also have a number you
can dial-in and try out the package on. Their address and the name of
the folks I have spoken with are:

		Roger Morrell or Bob Baskerville

		MMB Development Corporation
		1021 North Sepulveda Blvd.
		Suite K
		Manahattan Beach, CA 90266

		(213) 545-1455

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with MMB.... I just looked at
the product for much of the same reasons the original poster mentioned.
Also, my wife is currently developing a system around TEAMATE and is
a satisfied user.
        Ray Smith         | UUCP: {uunet,aplcen,netsys,sundc}!anagld!rcsmith
     Analytics, Inc.      | ARPA: RCSmith@DOCKMASTER.ARPA or
	Suite 200         |       anagld!rcsmith@uunet.uu.net
 9891 Broken Land Parkway |
    Columbia, MD 21046    | Voice: (301) 381-4300         Fax: (301) 381-5173