[comp.dcom.lans] RG58A/U vs. RG58/U ...

strattan@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Seth Strattan) (07/28/89)

I've wired a couple of RG58A/U Thin-nets and they all hum along quite
happily.  I know there is a RG58/U although I've never run it.  What
is the difference between the two.  I have a hunch it is a difference
in dielectric .. yes?  Is the difference relevant to Ethernet
installations?

Thanks for info,
J. Seth Strattan

butzer@rugby.cis.ohio-state.edu (Dan Butzer) (07/28/89)

In article <4074@lindy.Stanford.EDU> strattan@lindy.Stanford.EDU (J. Seth Strattan) writes:
>I've wired a couple of RG58A/U Thin-nets and they all hum along quite
>happily.  I know there is a RG58/U although I've never run it.  What
>is the difference between the two.  I have a hunch it is a difference
>in dielectric .. yes?  Is the difference relevant to Ethernet
>installations?

RG58/U cable violates 10Base2 in a couple ways.  It's nominal impedance does
not fall within 10Base2's 50 ohms +/- 2% requirement. (ie, Belden RG58/U
has a nominal impedance of 53.5 ohms.) Also, RG58/U has a solid center
conductor, instead of the stranded center as specified.  There may be other
violations, but these are the 2 that come to mind.

You will most likely find that RG58/U cable will work as long as you don't
push anything right to the limit, but you don't want it !!!
Long ago, some of it was installed around here, and it has proven to
be unreliable compared to the A/U cable.  The solid center wire
breaks easily at the BNC connector.  I plan to replace all of the 58/U
we have as soon as I can.

						--Dan
-=-
Dan Butzer - The Ohio State University Dept. of Computer & Information Science
             Net:   butzer@cis.ohio-state.edu     Voice: (614)292-7350
             Snail: 2036 Neil Ave Mall, Room 245, Columbus, Ohio, 43210

rh1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rudi Jay Halbright) (07/29/89)

  You definitely do NOT want to use RG58/U.  The solid cable will invariably
break and GOOD LUCK trying to figure out where when it does.  However you
can use RG58 C/U instead of A/U although RG58 A/U is preferred.

-Rudi Halbright
 rh1m@andrew.cmu.edu