[comp.dcom.lans] NCSA Telnet - who is the keeper of the code?

glen@aecom.yu.edu (Glen M. Marianko) (08/05/89)

Who is the keeper of the code for NCSA Telnet (both PC and Mac
versions)?  The reason I ask this is, I know NCSA has their own
version, and other places (like Clarkson) distribute their
enhanced version (for PC only).  Others must be doing the same
for the mac too.

So who is really watching that the bug-fixes/enhancements made by
one group gets propagated to all versions?  Who does one speak to
for making product suggestions/bug reports?  Both?  I guess if
Clarkson views its changes as proprietary, there will be at least
two versions forever.

An inquiring mind wants to know ...

--
-- Glen M. Marianko, Supervisor of Data Communications and Hardware Support
   glen@aecom.yu.edu - {uunet}!aecom!glen - CIS: 76247,450

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (08/06/89)

Tim Krauskopf <timk@zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu>

>            The reason I ask this is, I know NCSA has their own
>version, and other places (like Clarkson) distribute their
>enhanced version (for PC only).  Others must be doing the same
>for the mac too.

You can find information on this on zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu in the
directory ~ftp/NCSA_Telnet/contributions/.

>So who is really watching that the bug-fixes/enhancements made by
>one group gets propagated to all versions?  Who does one speak to
>for making product suggestions/bug reports?  Both?

you'd like to be added.  Back issues are available by anonymous
ftp from zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu in ~ftp/NCSA_Telnet/Digests/.

>                                                    I guess if
>Clarkson views its changes as proprietary, there will be at least
>two versions forever.

Clarkson's changes are most emphatically NOT proprietary--however
their TN3270 is based on University of California copyrighted
code.  It's redistributable, but not in the public domain.

There will be "at least two versions" in the forseeable future,
but not for the reason you cite.  Clarkson 2.2D/2.2TN represents
another 10 months work on the NCSA 2.2 version.  Many of
Clarkson's improvements will be incorporated in NCSA 2.3 for the
PC when it is released later this summer, but NCSA will not
support things like the TN3270 code.  (2.3 for the Mac is out
now.)  Another thing--Clarkson's code is many, many times bigger
than NCSA's.  I can make a bootable 360K diskette with NCSA
TELNET and FTP for diskless PCs and have plenty of space left
over.  I can put Clarkson TELNET on.  No FTP.  No documentation.
And it takes a *long* time to load.  I managed to get TN3270 on
with some effort... I literally had 1024 bytes free using DOS
3.2.  It wouldn't fit with DOS 3.3.
					-=EPS=-